strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
Would you recommend 6ave over Electronics Expo? You mentioned that your dad was considering getting the 4310 from EE, right?
Just for the price I was considering EE - 6ave had a 25% off coupon but it expired before he could get on it, and we didn't think of price matching with 6ave - that is definitely worth a shot.

I would certainly prefer 6ave, just because I have ordered from them twice and the experiences and the prices were both great, plus they had free shipping and EE does not.

Also, at this moment the 4310 does not appear to be in stock at 6ave (you can still order it but it says ships in 7-10 days) - a couple extra points go to EE...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm seriously conflicted on buying the 4310. As much as I'm enticed by the idea of connecting with HDMI, I'm not convinced that it's going to sound any better than my Pioneer.

strube

strube

I'm seriously conflicted on buying the 4310. As much as I'm enticed by the idea of connecting with HDMI, I'm not convinced that it's going to sound any better than my Pioneer.
I can understand. I was moving from the Rotel, which had no room correction/E.Q. of any kind, and I had one HDMI connection wired through my ceiling to my projector with 4 HDMI devices, so I really needed the switching capability, and the Monoprice switch just wasn't cutting it. It was an easier decision for me for sure.

You, on the other hand, have a newer AVR with room correction, but the Audyssey MultiEQ XT is sure to be superior (whether or not you notice it is a different story), plus, all your gear is right by your TV so you aren't in desperate need of HDMI switching. Really, with the 4310 upgrade, you would be getting the upgraded room EQ, HDMI - and thus lossless audio, OSD, networking capabilities, better DACs and ADCs (could help it sound better along with Audyssey), and a new toy - since you have separate amps, the extra power matters not either...

Don't know what to tell you. I support you either way. Once you pull the trigger though, all of this stress and wondering will vanish, and you will just be excited for the new toy. Until then, I predict you will be waffling like a waffle. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks again for your thoughts and help on this, Strube. Part of my hesitation is the thought that maybe my system will sound worse to me with a new receiver. After all, I like how it sounds now.

But that 4310 sure is purdy...

strube

strube

No problem, my friend. I hope it is more help than hindrance, though sometimes I even confuse myself, so it can't be any better for others.

The thing is, I get the feeling we are very much alike: we are both over-analytical bastards. Maybe helping you is therapeutic!

Help me help you help me, Adam. Come on. It won't sound worse. All the technical facts point the other way. Order the 4310 before it is no longer on sale :D ;).

P.S. If it matters, I loved the way my Rotel sounded, and I like my 3808's sound more, and I am guessing a lot of that is due to Audyssey, as the audio electronics were about the same in the two units (the Rotel did have a beefier transformer though).

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Order the 4310 before it is no longer on sale :D ;).
Another excellent point. :) Anyone else want a 4310? Wait until I order it, and then Amazon will have them for about $1.50. ;)

BTW, can anyone really be overly analytical? :D

strube

strube

Another excellent point. :) Anyone else want a 4310? Wait until I order it, and then Amazon will have them for about $1.50. ;)

BTW, can anyone really be overly analytical? :D
Don't exaggerate now, you know it will only be about $7 cheaper.

IDK, my engineer wife and my engineer dad both say I am an over-analytical bastard, so I assumed it was possible. :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Don't exaggerate now, you know it will only be about $7 cheaper.
Heehee! I got a big chuckle out of that. :D

IDK, my engineer wife and my engineer dad both say I am an over-analytical bastard, so I assumed it was possible. :D
Woah. Other engineers are telling you that? Yeah, that's trouble right there. :D I've been told that I'm overly anal - and that's by analysts. (No, Doug and Alex - it's not that kind of anal. :p)

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Part of my hesitation is the thought that maybe my system will sound worse to me with a new receiver. After all, I like how it sounds now.
Are you suggesting that your ears are accustomed to the imperfections of your current gear or are you suggesting that the 4310 is designed to a substandard level of audio transparency. Or is it that you fear audio transparency? What would make you think the 4310 would sound worse?

Let me remind you of AH's first rule of audio. The room and the speakers have the greatest effect on sound. Electronics play a relatively minor role in audio reproduction and even then, only if it is not functioning properly or not well designed in the first place. Electronics should be transparent and not impart their own sonic signature into the output sound.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I have to admit - I like my receivers to have a little junk in the trunk. I don't know if the 4310 has too much for me, though.

Just stare at the Denon AVP for a little bit, and the 4310 will seem normal again. :p

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Electronics play a relatively minor role in audio reproduction and even then, only if it is not functioning properly or not well designed in the first place. Electronics should be transparent and not impart their own sonic signature into the output sound.
I'm going to respectfully disagree with you there, Dave. The auto room correction and EQ systems in modern receivers are designed to do the opposite. While perhaps all modern receivers could sound the same with all processing/EQ shut off, my decision on which one to buy is driven in part by that processing and EQ. I know that I like MCACC, and while I expect to like Audyssey, I've read some posts here where people preferred to have it turned off (I think that it had to do with dialogue).

Just stare at the Denon AVP for a little bit, and the 4310 will seem normal again. :p
Oh, I stared at that for a bit this past weekend. :D Just too pricey for me.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I'm going to respectfully disagree with you there, Dave. The auto room correction and EQ systems in modern receivers are designed to do the opposite. While perhaps all modern receivers could sound the same with all processing/EQ shut off, my decision on which one to buy is driven in part by that processing and EQ. I know that I like MCACC, and while I expect to like Audyssey, I've read some posts here where people preferred to have it turned off (I think that it had to do with dialogue).
With all the available parameters to tweak, like distance, individual channel eq and other options, I would be very surprised if you couldn't find some combination of settings to make any good quality receiver the perfect receiver for you.

strube

strube

Hey Adam. I had a problem with my dad's Audyssey AVR-1909 (he didn't have that long before he upgraded to 3808) calibration when I first ran it. He has a really awful room shape, and I found Audyssey's 6 measurement point locations to be really finicky. The first few times, the dialogue was muffled and pretty terrible in general. I had to run it 4 times before it sounded good to me, (and much better than his 3803 with no room correction). I was actually one of the ones in a thread recommending turning it off until I got it dialed in.

The problem with the 1909 was that it was underpowered for his big Paradigm Monitor system and sounded pretty weak, and the worst thing about Denon is that they don't put pre-outs on their stuff until the 28**/3310 series, so we couldn't just amp it up.

So anyway, he got the 3808 (and I now have the 1909 on loan connected to my new office/pseudo-man-cave system with my Paradigm Cinema speakers - woohoo!). We only had to run the Audyssey once for it to sound amazing comparatively speaking, I am guessing because of its measurement 8 positions. My room sounded day-and-night better from the setup compared to the Rotel or the uncalibrated Denon. Anyway, my point is that the things you have heard about Audyssey (possibly some from me) may be due to improper measurement, because once it is done correctly it is great (specifically MultiEQ XT).

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I see your considering a receiver purchase.

Does you receiver have analog inputs currently?

Maybe I'm crazy but if so you could get a new pre-pro and use your old receivers amp section to hold you over until we get you on an amp.

strube

strube

Adam, I hope you feel special. Your theater thread is the biggest one in the Members Systems Gallery (MSG, yep, the prime ingredient in lots of tasty Chinese food :rolleyes:).

I am 4th place in posting on it too. That makes me feel special.

:D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
... until we get you on an amp.
Who's we? Have you got a mouse in your pocket? :D

Adam has 9 channels of amplification but only uses 5 (not counting the sub or the rec'r).
But he's thinking about getting more. :D
I gotta go to work.

mperfct

mperfct

Audioholic Samurai

I like Advanced MCACC on my SC-07 much better than the Audyssey MultiEQ that was on my Marantz SR-8001. But I also like to watch golf, so ymmv.

strube

strube

I just ordered my dad a JVC RS2 projector from the AVS store and they have the AVR-4310 for $1499, the only problem is the phone ordering - bah :eek:! It was really hard to order on the phone instead of making a few mouse clicks, but they were very nice, knowledgeable, and I have heard nothing bad about their service.

He is waffling, but differently than you are. Today, he wants to buy my 3808 from me for a more-than-fair price and let me buy something new when I start getting a paycheck. I can't decide if I am interested, I do like the 3808 a lot...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis