Bookshelf speakers on a $350 budget

Gryfter

Gryfter

Audioholic Intern
I'm in a similar boat as the OP, I can't believe how many options I have for decent speakers around the $500 price range. When I started researching I honestly expected to find piles of trash with only a few quality manufacturers that stood out from the pack. I'm having a hell of a time making up my mind.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
Hello all,
I am shopping for bookshelf to use with my Panasonic VSX-819H-K receiver. The speakers that I have been looking at are:

- Klipsch - Icon 5-1/4" Model: VB-15
- Bose 301 Series V
- Polk Audio 5-1/4" Model: TSI200

I have a Sony 10" 100-Watt Powered Subwoofer Model: SAW2500.

Thank you!
Energy RC-10 for $300 closeout pricing is an amazing deal...

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Energy RC-10 for $300 closeout pricing is an amazing deal...
Even at full retail these are excellent speakers!! BTW could you share your thoughts on how they stack up to the Sierra's?

Regards, Bill...:)

D

diegs

Junior Audioholic
For $350 the KEF IQ3's are hard to beat. I've listened to them in a medium sized room and really like them. Not boomy, great vocals and detail. Check out accessories4less.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I like Klipsch, So i'll throw in a good word for them. However, I wouldnt purchase the IKON line. IMO, the Reference line is the only one worth considering. The RB61 can be had under your budget and is a much better device than the IKON. The build quality and components make the reference line far superior than the other klipsch offerings.

I also have a pair of the Behringer 2030p that isiberian mentioned. Its impossible to beat for the price. I highly recommend those as well.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I'm seriously considering ordering the Energy speakers. That looks like a fantastic deal. I've never heard them, but they seem to get great reviews. Would anybody talk me out of it?

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
Even at full retail these are excellent speakers!! BTW could you share your thoughts on how they stack up to the Sierra's?

Regards, Bill...:)
I think they keep up with the Sierra's pretty well, surpisingly. While I do think the Sierra is a better overall speaker, the difference isn't all that great, to me at least.

The Sierra has more bass articulation and authority...you really can use these for 2-channel music without a sub, and the bass punch is very nice. The RC-10 have suprisingly good bass for their size, but they're not a authoritive or as clean down low.

I think the mid-range of the Sierra is more detailed as well - very clean, but a bit thinner that the RC-10. The RC-10 has a nice midrange, but not quite as clean and detailed - I read another forum member describe it as "lush"...and I think that does describe it well in one word.

As far as the high end - I think they're pretty comparable. Energy did an amazing job getting an aluminum dome tweeter to sound so smooth and clean, and still retaining alot of detail. The Sierra has very detailed highs as well, and maybe a tiny bit more forward. Neither speaker is fatiguing in any way though.

Overall, they're both impressive speakers. If I had one gripe about the Sierra - it's that I am very aware of poor recordings. They've actually made me realize how crappy the audio quality of most digital cable broadcasts is...and the sibilance in tv shows is awful sometimes. The RC-10 is a little more forgiving here, but not much. In the end - crap in = crap out, right...

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
I'm seriously considering ordering the Energy speakers. That looks like a fantastic deal. I've never heard them, but they seem to get great reviews. Would anybody talk me out of it?
I bought one pair used, and one pair of refurbs, both for $320 shipped, and I was very happy with those deals. At the time, they were going for around $400 used.

If only I had known that 4 months later I could've bought them brand new for $300....amazing deal for these speakers.

M

mapexvenus

Enthusiast
Just to give everyone who responded to my original post an update, I am happy with the Polk's. I liked the Klipsch's too, but I returned them and stayed with the Polk's.

My next quest (as you may have seen in other threads) is to work on my sub and center channel.

thank you all for your help!

Morgan Audio

Morgan Audio

Audioholic
I believe the original poster meant $350 for a pair, not each. However, Energy is a much-loved brand in this forum, and they have a wide selection of bookshelf speakers that would be sure to foot the bill with that budget. I would be happy to own any of those speakers.

Also, to the original poster, if you are daring, you should check these out. They are called Planar speakers, they operate on a different sound reproduction method than ordinary speakers. You have to hang them on your wall, and they are supposed to sound terrific. At $300 retail, or $325 factory direct, they fall under your budget. They have some drawbacks though, they need a good amplifier or receiver, and you have to be sure yours is up to the task. They also need a subwoofer because of the low-end roll-off at 100 hertz, but than again, most bookshelfs need a sub to sound good. But if you are feeling adventurous, you might give them a try. I have always been curious about them, someday I am going to get me some Magnapans.
May I ask if those maggies will have as strong a center image as a floor or bookshelf without there being a tweeter there to help in adding weight to the center. I really want to try a pair of maggies

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Wow this is an old post. I would say that imaging doesn't have so much to do with tweeters or woofers as overall frequency response, on and off axis, however that is accomplished. I have since had a few occasions to hear maggies, and they sounded fine to me, but it wasn't extremely close critical listening with content I was familiar with. If you want to hear some maggies, check to see if there are any dealers in your area. Or you can just order a pair like these 1.7s, try them, and if you don't want to keep them, Magnapan will pay for return shipping, so you are out no money for the transaction.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis