Bookshelf speakers on a $350 budget

M

mapexvenus

Enthusiast
Hello all,
I am shopping for bookshelf to use with my Panasonic VSX-819H-K receiver. The speakers that I have been looking at are:

- Klipsch - Icon 5-1/4" Model: VB-15
- Bose 301 Series V
- Polk Audio 5-1/4" Model: TSI200

I have a Sony 10" 100-Watt Powered Subwoofer Model: SAW2500.

Thank you!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Here are some others for you to consider that may be a better value:

Ascend Acoustics CBM 170 SE $350 not including shipping. Very highly regarded speaker company.
Emotiva ERM 1 on sale for $320 after shipping, ordinarily $480. These would sound great, just make sure your receiver can handle the 4 ohm load though.
HSU HB-1 mk2 $334 after shipping, these are terrific bookshelfs with a surprising amount of bass for their size.
TSBL 6.6 from The Speaker Company $360 with free shipping, these are well-reviewed speakers that many people love

Any of those would at the very least equal the Klipsch and Polk, and they would all put the Bose to shame.

M

mapexvenus

Enthusiast
Thank you for your response. I am officially taking Bose off my list based on other feedback I have read.

I was considering the Kilpsch and Polk because they are speakers I can easily audition at the local Best Buy and even bring home to try. Returning and exchanging them will be a 2 mile drive as opposed to shipping (and paying for shipping), etc. Of course, I could sacrifice the convenience if any of the speakers you recommended blow Kilpsch and Polk out of the water.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Here are some others for you to consider that may be a better value:

Ascend Acoustics CBM 170 SE $350 not including shipping. Very highly regarded speaker company.
Emotiva ERM 1 on sale for $320 after shipping, ordinarily $480. These would sound great, just make sure your receiver can handle the 4 ohm load though.
HSU HB-1 mk2 $334 after shipping, these are terrific bookshelfs with a surprising amount of bass for their size.
TSBL 6.6 from The Speaker Company $360 with free shipping, these are well-reviewed speakers that many people love

Any of those would at the very least equal the Klipsch and Polk, and they would all put the Bose to shame.
Don't forget the Behringer 2030p's They have excellent build quality.

the Infinity beta 20s have excellent drivers

the SVS SBS-01 has nice bass. I personally like the Behringers' They are only 150 and probably superior to all the others in SQ. Plus they can be easily improved to Hi-Fi level.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't know about blowing out of the water, although I do think that at that price level they would be noticeably higher quality speakers. Personally I would go for any of those before the Polks or Klipschs, although I think the Polk and Klipschs would be fine speakers as well. As for auditioning, I think that for the TSBL 6.6s, The Speaker Company will pay for shipping both ways if you decide you don't like their speakers. I own some HB-1s, and I know you wouldn't want to return those if you heard them, they are amazing. I suspect the same is true for all the others that Isiberian and I recommended. Whatever you decide, even if its the Klipschs or Polks, you will have a worthwhile sound setup. Well, except for the subwoofer. Yes, after you get the bookshelfs, save up for a bit, because we will need to get to work on your subwoofer. ;)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you for your response. I am officially taking Bose off my list based on other feedback I have read.

I was considering the Kilpsch and Polk because they are speakers I can easily audition at the local Best Buy and even bring home to try. Returning and exchanging them will be a 2 mile drive as opposed to shipping (and paying for shipping), etc. Of course, I could sacrifice the convenience if any of the speakers you recommended blow Kilpsch and Polk out of the water.
Wmax one of our best speaker builders examined the Behringer 2030p's and found them to be of exceptional build quality. He suggests them when he recommends a low cost bookshelf. Few speakers in your range have good build quality which makes or breaks any speaker. With a sub you will find no better speakers in that price range. Unless you DIY.

M

mapexvenus

Enthusiast
I don't know about blowing out of the water, although I do think that at that price level they would be noticeably higher quality speakers. Personally I would go for any of those before the Polks or Klipschs, although I think the Polk and Klipschs would be fine speakers as well. As for auditioning, I think that for the TSBL 6.6s, The Speaker Company will pay for shipping both ways if you decide you don't like their speakers. I own some HB-1s, and I know you wouldn't want to return those if you heard them, they are amazing. I suspect the same is true for all the others that Isiberian and I recommended. Whatever you decide, even if its the Klipschs or Polks, you will have a worthwhile sound setup. Well, except for the subwoofer. Yes, after you get the bookshelfs, save up for a bit, because we will need to get to work on your subwoofer. ;)
I would love to work on my sub - but all the sub's that I cam across at Best Buy were above the $200 range. I also severely underestimated the importance of this speaker, hence the somewhat ignorant purchase.

Matt34

Matt34

I have three Infinity Beta 20 for sale for a lot less than $350.;) Very good budget speakers IMO.

M

mapexvenus

Enthusiast
Adding this Polk speaker to my list: Polk Audio RTI A1 B

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Here's some more high quality bookshelf speakers to consider:

ELT525M mini monitor from AV123, very highly regarded speakers. $350 not including shipping.
Axiom Audio M3 v2, $330 a pair not including shipping. Excellent reputation.
Fluance SX6, a bit more modest in price ($238 not including shipping), and probably also sound range, but, depending on what you listen to, they might be just right.
Intumus 4B Satellite Speaker from Aperion Audio. Another somewhat more modest speaker, but still I'm sure it sounds nice. $260 not including shipping.
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800B in keeping with smaller and cheaper alternatives, these are $290 and free shipping.

All of the speakers I've mentioned in this and the previous post are Internet Direct companies (with the exception of Definitive Technology), which tend to be a greater value by cutting out all the middlemen. With these you are paying for the speaker alone, and not for all the distributors and retail expenses.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
here is something else that can help you out, its a audioholics bookshelf speaker comparison. Most of those speakers are in your price range.

M

mapexvenus

Enthusiast
Thank you all for your inputs - this forum is very helpful!:)

B

bborzell

Audioholic Intern
I just bought three Energy RC-LCR speakers for the front of my HT setup. I am very impressed by the sound of these 3 way speakers. They can be used either horizontal or vertically which is great for my setup.

Normally $600 each, Vanns has them in Cherry and another dark wood veneer that I can't recall what they call it for $299 each. If you want black, you can still get them for $600 each (Energy is stopping production of the natural wood veneers and is apparently making everything in this series in black from now on).

They are excellent speakers at $600. At $299, they are a steal, IMHO.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I believe the original poster meant $350 for a pair, not each. However, Energy is a much-loved brand in this forum, and they have a wide selection of bookshelf speakers that would be sure to foot the bill with that budget. I would be happy to own any of those speakers.

Also, to the original poster, if you are daring, you should check these out. They are called Planar speakers, they operate on a different sound reproduction method than ordinary speakers. You have to hang them on your wall, and they are supposed to sound terrific. At $300 retail, or $325 factory direct, they fall under your budget. They have some drawbacks though, they need a good amplifier or receiver, and you have to be sure yours is up to the task. They also need a subwoofer because of the low-end roll-off at 100 hertz, but than again, most bookshelfs need a sub to sound good. But if you are feeling adventurous, you might give them a try. I have always been curious about them, someday I am going to get me some Magnapans.

M

mapexvenus

Enthusiast
I believe the original poster meant $350 for a pair, not each. However, Energy is a much-loved brand in this forum, and they have a wide selection of bookshelf speakers that would be sure to foot the bill with that budget. I would be happy to own any of those speakers.

Also, to the original poster, if you are daring, you should check these out. They are called Planar speakers, they operate on a different sound reproduction method than ordinary speakers. You have to hang them on your wall, and they are supposed to sound terrific. At $300 retail, or $325 factory direct, they fall under your budget. They have some drawbacks though, they need a good amplifier or receiver, and you have to be sure yours is up to the task. They also need a subwoofer because of the low-end roll-off at 100 hertz, but than again, most bookshelfs need a sub to sound good. But if you are feeling adventurous, you might give them a try. I have always been curious about them, someday I am going to get me some Magnapans.
That is correct. $350 for the pair :p The Polk Audio RTI A1 arrives tomorrow for auditions.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That sounds great, I think those speakers will work fine. Tell us what you think about them after you audition them. Hopefully you audition some other speakers so you have something to compare the Polks against. By the way, if up your budget just a little bit, like, oh say a factor of 25, you could get a couple of these:

B

bborzell

Audioholic Intern
I believe the original poster meant $350 for a pair, not each.
I can read, thank you. Perhaps you noticed that I mentioned that the speakers I was referring to were $299 each. I know what the "budget" was. I also know that, in cases of particular value that exceed the budget, people often decide to go the extra step. Providing input on additional options doesn't necessarily violate the sanctity of the original question. It adds options which the OP is free to accept or reject.

M

mapexvenus

Enthusiast
I can read, thank you. Perhaps you noticed that I mentioned that the speakers I was referring to were $299 each. I know what the "budget" was. I also know that, in cases of particular value that exceed the budget, people often decide to go the extra step. Providing input on additional options doesn't necessarily violate the sanctity of the original question. It adds options which the OP is free to accept or reject.
I totally appreciate the advice on speakers above my budget - perhaps I can look into them when I want to upgrade.

M

mapexvenus

Enthusiast
That sounds great, I think those speakers will work fine. Tell us what you think about them after you audition them. Hopefully you audition some other speakers so you have something to compare the Polks against.
I am comparing them against the Klipsch - Icon 5-1/4" Bookshelf Speakers VB 15.

Will definitely update this post with how the auditions went.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis