Really Boring Stuff Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
res6jya6

res6jya6

Senior Audioholic
ooooooouch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what I call a computer :D
I would love to have one of those with a copy of OS X Server... that alone would be the one and only Music Server you would ever need... (Unless your collection grows to over 4TB!)

I have been thinking about starting a music server, one in which I could access all files from any computer or streaming media device. While Linux would be a good choice, I think I would have to get my hands on a Mac w/ OS X Server... I wouldn't want to use Windows 7 purely because I think the Mac hardware is a lot better than anything you can get for Windows (I believe you mentioned that in a previous post, how 3rd party vendors can cause a lot of problems in Windows, thus shifting the blame to them.)

In what ways do you utilize your music server?

res6jya6

res6jya6

Senior Audioholic
I wonder if I'll ascend to Overlord this weekend.

I guess that only I have the power to make it happen. This post will help. :)
Well seeing as you helped me out when I first got on here, all I have to say is: "Whoo!" :D
You seem like the kinda guy that deserves such a prestigious title :cool:

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Wait until you see Windows 7 -- it'll make Linux and OS X look like an old dog. The new & improved homegroup & server alternatives are great!
I can't believe it, Installed Windows 7 Release Candidate today in VmWare and this is a dinosaur, and dinosaurs are not fast, can't believe how heavy slow and annoying this operating system is.....

And how is it possible that it takes "an hour" to install Windows Live Messenger (Well of course it takes longer in VmWare, bit still)

Problem with windows now, it's just an incredibly annoying OS :mad:

res6jya6

res6jya6

Senior Audioholic
I can't believe it, Installed Windows 7 Release Candidate today in VmWare and this is a dinosaur, and dinosaurs are not fast, can't believe how heavy slow and annoying this operating system is.....

And how is it possible that it takes "an hour" to install Windows Live Messenger (Well of course it takes longer in VmWare, bit still)

Problem with windows now, it's just an incredibly annoying OS :mad:
A lot of people say that Windows 7 is slow on first install... Give it a few days, the operating system will eventually understand what kind of user you are, and it will climatize to the hardware (or virtual) enviroment that you installed it on. I'm actually quite amazed that it took you so long to install WL messenger... everything seemed to install quite quickly for me (Even Adobe Master Collection).

All i've got to say is give it a few more days... and to each his own :p;)

If you've got a machine that you can install it on directly, without virtualization, try that, also... I remember when Pre-Beta builds were released on HD's as a Virtual Image, and people seemed to be having problems with it.

And when the official RC comes out from Microsoft, give that one a try. Supposedly they are integrating a full virtualization of Windows XP which will allow you to install XP based programs in Windows 7 (Like OS X gave you OS 9 as a virtualization...)

Good luck! And let me know how that goes for you after the OS has adjusted to your system settings.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I would love to have one of those with a copy of OS X Server... that alone would be the one and only Music Server you would ever need... (Unless your collection grows to over 4TB!)

I have been thinking about starting a music server, one in which I could access all files from any computer or streaming media device. While Linux would be a good choice, I think I would have to get my hands on a Mac w/ OS X Server... I wouldn't want to use Windows 7 purely because I think the Mac hardware is a lot better than anything you can get for Windows (I believe you mentioned that in a previous post, how 3rd party vendors can cause a lot of problems in Windows, thus shifting the blame to them.)

In what ways do you utilize your music server?
Well, to put a short story long.... this is what I do....

As an It consultant I need to have some good server stuff at home :D:D

So a few years ago I bought a Dell PowerEdge sc420... it had Windows Server 2003 for a long time, but a while ago my focus changed onto OpenSource, so I installed Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10 and following that line. now with version 11

I have a Gigabit wired backbone where my music server is connected, in order to make sure I have a rock solid network infrastructure that will never fail, and this is connected to a D-Link DIR655 wireless router, the squeezebox uses wireless, I dont' use Ethernet connection for this.

I don't use the DAC in the squeezebox but use digital out that goes to a Benchmark DAC1, that goes further to a Krevv KAV-400xi and Meadowlark Kestrel2 speakers or Duntech PCL 15's depending on mood....... and music......

On my music server I do have SqueezCenter software and onto my main music system I uese a Squeezebox3, the strategy is to use only squeezeboxes or some of the other products from slim devices / logitech and have them all using the squeezecenter software

The squeezebox is a dream to use, I'm never ever going back to physical media after this

I only have one squeezebox yet but considering Squeezebox boom in kitchen and some other squeeze gear in other rooms :)

Everything I have is ripped via "Exact Audio Copy" to flac format that's stored on this box.
This Dell machine runs 24/7 and I can only remember a few times in the last few years that there's been issues with playback via Squeezebox, and if there was an issue, I just had to push play on remote control, and everything's sorted. These things work so well, it's unbelievably stable !!!!

Next is to digitize all my LP's in 96/24 flac bit format and put it into the same system, it'll be a busy summer I guess.....

Did this answer some of your questions?

Last edited:
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
A lot of people say that Windows 7 is slow on first install... Give it a few days, the operating system will eventually understand what kind of user you are, and it will climatize to the hardware (or virtual) enviroment that you installed it on. I'm actually quite amazed that it took you so long to install WL messenger... everything seemed to install quite quickly for me (Even Adobe Master Collection).

All i've got to say is give it a few more days... and to each his own :p;)

If you've got a machine that you can install it on directly, without virtualization, try that, also... I remember when Pre-Beta builds were released on HD's as a Virtual Image, and people seemed to be having problems with it.

And when the official RC comes out from Microsoft, give that one a try. Supposedly they are integrating a full virtualization of Windows XP which will allow you to install XP based programs in Windows 7 (Like OS X gave you OS 9 as a virtualization...)

Good luck! And let me know how that goes for you after the OS has adjusted to your system settings.
Oh yes, I'm definitely going to give it many tries, My daughter's PC is first.... she's quite happy running S/W on her PC that nobody else in her class has :D

Microsoft do very very many good things, but some really bl¤#&%¤# annoying things too....
The kernel of Windows was originally based on OpenVMS, which is probably the best O/S ever, well...... My opinion is that Windows core is as stable and well performing as any system you can ever find.... there's just all these things around........ not everything is so good....

I have been quite happyh with Windows Server functionalities, it's just all these annoying things for desktop usage that is not good :eek::eek::eek:

As an IT consultant I have to have an open mind :D

Wonder if this discussion is......... in wrong thread :D or not !!!!

Last edited:
res6jya6

res6jya6

Senior Audioholic
Oh yes, I'm definitely going to give it many tries, My daughter's PC is first.... she's quite happy running S/W on her PC that nobody else in her class has :D

Microsoft do very very many good things, but some really bl¤#&%¤# annoying things too....
The kernel of Windows was originally based on OpenVMS, which is probably the best O/S ever, well...... My opinion is that Windows core is as stable and well performing as any system you can ever find.... there's just all these things around........ not everything is so good....

I have been quite happyh with Windows Server functionalities, it's just all these annoying things for desktop usage that is not good :eek::eek::eek:

As an IT consultant I have to have an open mind :D

Wonder if this discussion is......... in wrong thread :D or not !!!!
Oh man, it probably is in the wrong thread... but at the same time, I suppose software talk can be boring :p

But then again, I am going to go back to your server information, which is music related :p

If I were to do some sort of server, would you suggest I go with a Linux distro, or do you think I could just as easily create one using a Mac / PC running OS X server?

I love the OS X interface, and I am somewhat familiar with Linux (Which, in technicality, is what OS X is based off of)... I think it would be nice to be able to get some sort of streaming device (You mentioned Squeezebox, which I will most deffinetly Google)... hooked up to 1) The 62" flatscreen downstairs (for music, movies, and TV shows) 2) the 32: flatscreen in my room and 3) the stereo upstairs, which has speakers in both the dining room and living room....

I mostly want a dedicated box to store all of my media. I've got gigs and gigs of TV shows (Lost, Desperate Housewives, Family Guy, South Park...), hundred or so movies, and a few gigs of music (which I hope to start expanding once I get a faster internet connection ;) )

Then access all of that information on said media devices around the home.

Thanks for all the info!

res6jya6

res6jya6

Senior Audioholic
Unfortunately, I have to go and do some things. Haraldo, I will hopefully keep talking with you when I get back.

Adam, good luck on getting to Overlord :p

Everyone have an excellent evening!

And maybe someone can help me get more information about the Beatle's Bootleg: Kum Back - I've listened to it and enjoyed it a lot, but there isn't too much information pertaining to it on the interwebs.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Oh man, it probably is in the wrong thread... but at the same time, I suppose software talk can be boring :p

But then again, I am going to go back to your server information, which is music related :p

If I were to do some sort of server, would you suggest I go with a Linux distro, or do you think I could just as easily create one using a Mac / PC running OS X server?

I love the OS X interface, and I am somewhat familiar with Linux (Which, in technicality, is what OS X is based off of)... I think it would be nice to be able to get some sort of streaming device (You mentioned Squeezebox, which I will most deffinetly Google)... hooked up to 1) The 62" flatscreen downstairs (for music, movies, and TV shows) 2) the 32: flatscreen in my room and 3) the stereo upstairs, which has speakers in both the dining room and living room....

I mostly want a dedicated box to store all of my media. I've got gigs and gigs of TV shows (Lost, Desperate Housewives, Family Guy, South Park...), hundred or so movies, and a few gigs of music (which I hope to start expanding once I get a faster internet connection ;) )

Then access all of that information on said media devices around the home.

Thanks for all the info!
I really believe the best choice is to go with what you're comfortable with and what fits into your home... I'm not going to advise you to use Linux if OS X is what you're happy with....

Make a choice and strategy and go with it... !!!!

SqueezeCenter run on all kinds of operating systems and, just runs forever without even a hiccup, and uses no memory, no CPU and it just sits there and is beautiful....

I just made a choice of Linux based on what I want to do professionally.....
Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, OS X or Linux will all work beatitfully.......... Linux do have some higher learning thresholds on some things than windows, On OS X I cannot comment because I don't know.... so...... #¤%&¤#/%¤##" it's not easy

So whaddayouthink?

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODY HELL

My girlfriend broke up with me (and I don't even know why), how is that for boring

Perhaps it's not final......................................

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODY HELL

My girlfriend broke up with me (and I don't even know why), how is that for boring

Perhaps it's not final......................................
He he I need to quote myself now, looks like I'm back

Matt34

Matt34

I got stung on my upper leg by something today while out riding my motorcycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis