Official Yamaha RX-Z7 Receiver Review Thread

M

Meridius

Audioholic Intern
i have the 3900 and on the subject of the new firmware 1.06 when is it out i know its this month but any date yet?

i know it fixes the scaler problem but is there any other fix`s in there

T

tcfish19

Enthusiast
It's actually pretty simple and stares you in the face. When you select the Multi input you can select and source for the video. So what I did is hook my Panasonic BD55 to the Multi input and then assigned the video to the Cable box. Now I can watch TV and listen to music.

You could set up any config as long as the audio source has left right analog audio out. The option is in the Sub Menu under the Multi input.

Not the perfect solution and won't work on all set-ups but it works for what I want.

V

vakavanha

Audiophyte
Z7 vs. DVDO Edge

Can anyone say is there any differences about Z7 video processing vs.
DVDO Edge? Other than connections.

EvanescoZ7

EvanescoZ7

Audioholic Intern
Can anyone say is there any differences about Z7 video processing vs.
DVDO Edge? Other than connections.
It's the same chip. So the processing must be the same. DVDO is more customizable. According to Gene's test, it checks out on all features, don't think the DVDO has more features than those Gene tested.

Last edited:
S

senatortom

Audiophyte
Audio is great but HDMI video isn't there

I need help. Got an RX-Z7 and since installing a few weeks ago have been listening to nothing but music. Decided to get the theater going again so I hooked everything up using HDMI. No video at all. I did get sound through all of my surround speakers and subwoofer. Confirmed all ports were correctly configured on both the projector and receiver. Disconnected the cable from receiver and plugged it directly into the DVD player and projector worked fine.

I’ve spent 2 days going through every combination I could find, including reassigning ports and moving the cable. Until last night I had nothing. I finally hauled out an old component set of cables and hooked them up, along with a nice MIT IC from the DVD coax out to the receiver DVD in, and a toslink cable for the audio. Finally got to watch a movie last night and the family loved it.

I’ve been back at it today and I am out of options to try on the HDMI connections. I’m so hoping I just missed something, but it all seems fairly easy. I even hooked up a PS3 just in case something was going on between the Oppo and the receiver. Nothing, but I did get the music in the background.

Any suggestions?

T

tcfish19

Enthusiast
In order I would check this.

#1 Make sure TV input is correct.

#2 Make sure that HDMI output on receiver is correct. If you've got it plugged into HDMI #1 you're outputting HDMI #1.

#3 Make sure all the setting in the HDMI menu for output are correct. Do you happen to have it on pure direct? If you do and haven't selected video output you can get audio but no video. Need to check all that stuff.

R

robmet1015

Audiophyte
RX-Z7 with Polk speakers

I finally got the Z7 last week. I've been tweaking the sound stage and noticed the automatic setup (single point) on the Z7 set my fronts and center to LARGE setting.

I have Polk RTi10's for front, CSi5 for center, PSW505 for sub and the FXi3's for surronds.

I noticed today while playing the dark knight blueray, while the fronts/center set to LARGE sound setting, the speakers really seem to push too much at times. The 2 - 7 inch woofers were really moving a lot. I hear a rattle and over exert on the fronts, not like they are popping, but over extending to almost a distort in sound; squeaking.

I changed the fronts and center to SMALL sound setting and set crossover to 80hz.

All of the rattles and over extending is gone. It still sounds great.

The polk manual says recommended BASS setting for the RTi10 fronts is LARGE.

On my previous amp - pioneer - everything automatically was set to SMALL and never had any issues.

My question is how does one know the proper settings for sound setup and does it matter..? Any opinions or suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

Rob

M

mvp2005fan

Audioholic Intern
Is the Z7 susceptible to the DTS-MA "bomb"?

Gene:

I came accross these posts about Yamaha troubles with DTS-MA bitstreams.

I was wondering if the Z7 is able to handle the DTS-MA bitstreams without producing the reported potentially speaker-damaging "pops" (especially with the blu-rays specifically cited in the thread).

Thanks!

G

ggunnell

Audioholic
I finally got the Z7 last week. . . . I changed the fronts and center to SMALL sound setting and set crossover to 80hz. . . . My question is how does one know the proper settings for sound setup and does it matter..?
With respect to the subwoofer crossover, Rob, setting all your speakers to Small and your sub crossover to 80Hz TO START WITH, regardless of the settings proposed by any of the auto setup programs, is the oft given best advice. (Folks with really small speakers that won't even play down to 80Hz will have to choose a higher sub xo).

Although the Z7 supports different crossover frequencies for front, center, and surrounds, you are usually better off using the same frequency (or at least within 20Hz) for all your speakers. See Gene's review of the Z11 here on Audioholics for an explanation.

As you just demonstrated, it's not just ADDING a sub to power the bass, it's also keeping the lowest bass OUT of the woofer cones of your speakers, that improves the sound when you cross bass over to a sub.

R

robmet1015

Audiophyte
Thanks ggunnell

Makes sense and agrees with my thoughts

Rob

EvanescoZ7

EvanescoZ7

Audioholic Intern
Gene:

I came accross these "can't post links"

I was wondering if the Z7 is able to handle the DTS-MA bitstreams without producing the reported potentially speaker-damaging "pops" (especially with the blu-rays specifically cited in the thread).

Thanks!
Before I bought my DSP-Z7, I had a Onkyo 906 on try. On my DTS 2008 HD Audio Demostration Disc, I experienced the clicks and pops.
Now with my Z7 I hear no more clics and pops. I think I read somewhere the problem was solved all the way back with firmware version 1.03.. Mine was born with 1.04.

I have one problem though. I can't select songs(from USB and PC) and stations when using the Web Control Center. The grey bar doesn't move when I press UP and Down, and nothing happens when clicking on Back and Enter. Can anyone confirm that it is supposed to work?

M

Meridius

Audioholic Intern
Before I bought my DSP-Z7, I had a Onkyo 906 on try. On my DTS 2008 HD Audio Demostration Disc, I experienced the clicks and pops.
Now with my Z7 I hear no more clics and pops. I think I read somewhere the problem was solved all the way back with firmware version 1.03.. Mine was born with 1.04.

I have one problem though. I can't select songs(from USB and PC) and stations when using the Web Control Center. The grey bar doesn't move when I press UP and Down, and nothing happens when clicking on Back and Enter. Can anyone confirm that it is supposed to work?
does the yam 3900 have this fix to ?

T

tua09788

Audiophyte
bluetooth or airportexpress use?

I was wondering if anyone has tried the bluetooth or airport express on the z7? Basically i need it to stream from a laptop wirelessly...for the gf.

P

pbenj

Enthusiast
Have you tried streaming from WMP11

I was wondering if anyone has tried the bluetooth or airport express on the z7? Basically i need it to stream from a laptop wirelessly...for the gf.
If you have the RX-Z7 connected to your home network another option is to stream the music from Windows Media Player 11 from the laptop the Z7.

P

Palani

Audiophyte
Airport Express

I use an Airport Express to connect to my home network and to stream from iTunes on my Mac. Works like a charm.

M

Meridius

Audioholic Intern
anyone got a date for the new firmware ? because

Anybody having a issue with the hdmi to hdmi scaling?

When I turn on yamaha processing for hdmi my display gets really dark!
And I have to boost up the brightness on my TV.

It only seems to to do it with hdmi to hdmi, not component, to hdmi scaling.

This is a big problem! If I switch between component and a hdmi source I have, huge brightness issues.

I also have the blue line hdmi to hdmi bug.
I hoping the new firmware expected sometime this month will fix this issue.

M

MarKSix

Audiophyte
Gene:

Thanks!
No the V1900/V3900/Z7 isnt affected by this problem. I think it was an issue with the V1800/3800 recievers and Yamaha quickly released a bug fix for this.

M

mvp2005fan

Audioholic Intern
No the V1900/V3900/Z7 isnt affected by this problem. I think it was an issue with the V1800/3800 recievers and Yamaha quickly released a bug fix for this.
Thanks to MarKSix and to all who replied. I guess I'll be able to play with the bitsteam when they finally realease that new Oppo! :D

EvanescoZ7

EvanescoZ7

Audioholic Intern
OK, I ask again.

Has anyone tried the Web Control Center with Netradio and USB?

I can't select tracks and stations with the grey bar when clicking on the Up Down bottons. Nothing happens when hitting Back and Enter.

Can someone try this for me?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis