Car modding/projects thread!

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Nice man, but didn't you have a Cobra motor in the former one? Is this a GT or what?
Yeah, the 95 had Edelbrock heads, extrude-honed Cobra intake, E303 cam, yada, yada, yada. This car is faster than my 95. In fact, right out of the box, it beats my 95 in almost every way. About the only thing that sucks about it is the braking. This car is hella heavy. It REALLY needs some better brakes.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Did those quarter window louvers come on it? Not a fan of those, but is it a special model? I know those came on a particular version. They were saying in reviews that the handling on those models was noticeably better than the previous generation. I am not sure if I like the newest version that just came out (back end is kind of uglier now), but they did incorporate the sequential turn signals from the factor so that is kind of cool. Good color too :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I need to get a step like that for our truck. Looks good.

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
Cool thread you guys have here :cool:

My car is getting a new suspension this weekend, to get rid of the raised "4x4" look. Last weekend I did my first real car mod ever, installed a front shock brace. Fortunately I have a couple friends who are really knowledgeable about cars who are helping out with the more complicated parts.

Then there's a list of other stuff happening after the suspension, but don't want to get ahead of myself :)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Cool thread you guys have here :cool:

My car is getting a new suspension this weekend, to get rid of the raised "4x4" look. Last weekend I did my first real car mod ever, installed a front shock brace. Fortunately I have a couple friends who are really knowledgeable about cars who are helping out with the more complicated parts.

Then there's a list of other stuff happening after the suspension, but don't want to get ahead of myself :)
What kind of car?

SheepStar

mperfct

mperfct

Audioholic Samurai
Here's my car, and since it is a BMW, it's always a project car, even if you don't know it! (and now you know where my username comes from).

Old wheels

Current wheels

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
E36 M3, still one of my favorites. I came close to buying one after I wrecked my R. My mom has a E36 328 that is also fun to drive, but alas she bought an automatic. I got rid of my E46 325Ci because it had so many problems.

So jvigillow, MX-5 as in Miata? That is a fun car :)

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Got the wheels/tires on today. Sorry only driveway photos...

Sweet. Now you just gotta paint your face, put some feathers in your hair, and put on some football shoulder pads and drive around your neighborhood hanging out the window and screaming, Road Warrior style. :D

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Did those quarter window louvers come on it? Not a fan of those, but is it a special model? I know those came on a particular version. They were saying in reviews that the handling on those models was noticeably better than the previous generation. I am not sure if I like the newest version that just came out (back end is kind of uglier now), but they did incorporate the sequential turn signals from the factor so that is kind of cool. Good color too :)
Yeah, the louvres came on it. I think they look hella cool, but they definitely obscure my view when backing up.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Magnaflow mufflers go on tomorrow morning.

Just bought a set of these rims,

and a set of FRPP springs. I'll be buying their struts/shocks and swaybars in a couple of weeks. I'll post pics when I get the suspension stuff put on.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Put the Magnaflows on, on Saturday. Surprisingly, it's not much louder. Probably has something to do with the fact that the 07 Mustang has it's mufflers all the way in the back of the car. It sounds good outside the car, but in the cabin, you can barely hear the exhaust. I was actually kinda disappointed.

Matt34

Matt34

Put the Magnaflows on, on Saturday. Surprisingly, it's not much louder. Probably has something to do with the fact that the 07 Mustang has it's mufflers all the way in the back of the car. It sounds good outside the car, but in the cabin, you can barely hear the exhaust. I was actually kinda disappointed.
Give it about 100-200mi or so, then they should open up. I felt the same way when I did my 350z and then my truck with the magnaflows but they both got louder as the miles past.

mperfct

mperfct

Audioholic Samurai
Give it about 100-200mi or so, then they should open up. I felt the same way when I did my 350z and then my truck with the magnaflows but they both got louder as the miles past.
I've heard that about several exhausts. What changes in the exhaust? Is it something changing due to heat cycling?

Matt34

Matt34

I've heard that about several exhausts. What changes in the exhaust? Is it something changing due to heat cycling?
I believe so, even my Banks currently on my truck was quite when I first put it on, now my dogs can here me coming home three-four blocks away.:D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
That is such a load of crap. You're just getting used to it.

There is nothing wrong with an exhaust being quite. You'll appreciate it when you have to drive around for a long time.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yep. On long drives, especially in the mountains, my car starts to drone on some and I get tired of it sometimes.

Matt34

Matt34

I'm not sure how those with chamber exhausts would get the difference in sound? The ones that are packed with fiberglass and rockwool I can explain. Even those with perforations might get some carbon soot to fill up somewhat and change the sound. The only way I can see something like the my Banks made one to change is if the engine's ecu readjusted it's airflow. Going from a 2 1/4" to 3" I'm sure there is a learning process it goes through.

I say this not as a fact but I've done a number of exhausts in my day and have heard noticable changes in sound levels during the first few miles with a new one.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
That is such a load of crap. You're just getting used to it.

There is nothing wrong with an exhaust being quite. You'll appreciate it when you have to drive around for a long time.

SheepStar
Quite what?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis