Angelo8888

Enthusiast
hi all

my actual system consists in following :

turntable : micro seiki dqx1000/ black widow arm / Shure VIII pick up
phono preamp : phonomaster
cd player : sony CDP-XP 930
dac: audio nemesis DC1
amplifier : Viva Audio Solista single ended integrated amp, with 845 ( Shuguang M plate ) / 211 tubes
plate amp for the basshorn : Inosic RAS300

horn speakers project and built by me :

AudioVoice Eikon 5 ways, all frontloaded horns

sub : Aura 1808 > 50hz
basshorn : front loaded horn, profile between exponential and tractrix, 1,5m length , woofer Beyma 15" lx60 50hz - 150hz
midbass : Fane Studio8m , horn with 96cm diameter tractrix made with MDF: 150hz - 1000hz
midrange: Vitavox S2 with 60cm diameter LeCleach horn made with MDF : 1000hz - 10khz
tweeter : Coral H104 with aluminium wave guide < 10khz

crossover of the basshorn 150hz/24db active
satellite passive 6db slope

greetings from brazil Angelo

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Wow, Do you get complaints by people in the next state.;)

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
NICE!

What are the wood speakers next to your horns? Klispch?

J

jamie2112

Banned
Whoa buddy that is way too small a rig to put up on this site:eek::D:D:D very nice indeed....

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
That's beatifull.

Greetings from Portugal

ps - Sistema irado ;)

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
That poor little display hiding behind the massive horns kind of makes me sad....

phlakvest

phlakvest

Audioholic
That poor little display hiding behind the massive horns kind of makes me sad....
I think your on the wrong forum to feel sorry for an undersized TV. :cool:

The horns are a bit extreme for my taste... But the construction looks top notch. How do they sound?

vizionut

vizionut

Audioholic General
I would love to here Alan parsons project I robot crarnked up real loud on that system.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Being an old guy, and all, I gotta say that those remind me of my youth and look .... (how do I get this past the censors?) .... bi'chin! :)

Great job.

HedgeHog

HedgeHog

Audioholic Intern
Well done! Looks gorgeous too. How efficient are horns? Do you run just an 80W tube amp or does it require megawatts to power cleanly? And how much does a set of those cost should someone commission you to build a set?

BTW, they remind me a lot of the Avant-Garde Acoustic line: www [dot] avantgarde-acoustic [dot] de/hornlautsprecher.php?lang=en

Cheers,
Hedwig

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
That's awesome, I'd love to hear what something like that sounds like. Looks like you did real nice work putting them together too.

DonBattles

DonBattles

Audioholic
I've gotta say those look pretty awesome but have read that they typically lack focus and neutrality. I've never listened for myself but would really love to one day. I cannot think of a single B&M in my area that would carry something like that. Maybe I'll have to look a bit more as I'm more curious than ever :)

A

Angelo8888

Enthusiast
Well done! Looks gorgeous too. How efficient are horns? Do you run just an 80W tube amp or does it require megawatts to power cleanly? And how much does a set of those cost should someone commission you to build a set?

BTW, they remind me a lot of the Avant-Garde Acoustic line: www [dot] avantgarde-acoustic [dot] de/hornlautsprecher.php?lang=en

Cheers,
Hedwig
hello Hedwig

the efficiency of the satellite is 109db/wm. The valve amp to drive the horns has 18w, but i never listen with more than a few watts.
The basshorn has ~ 104db/wm, and is driven by a RAS 300 plate amp from Inosic, with 300Watts at 8ohms.
The difference to the Avantgardes is big. While Avantgarde uses ABS plastic for their horns, and a metal frame, my horns are entirely hand made of MDF, in a very time consuming work. Actually, it took about ten month to finish the whole system. While i use rare, vintage and carefully selected alnico horn compression drivers, Avantgarde uses modern , off the shelf, easy commercially available drivers.
Speaker building is not a pro work for me, i do it just as a hobby. I have taken orders in the past, and still do. But i discuss with each client extensively the wished configuration, and price depends on that. The price i ask is however far less than Avantgardes, and others, since the speakers are sold direct, and not through usual commercial channels, where the markup is finally as high as 500%, or even more. Just to give you a idea. For the present setup at home, 4 way full horn loaded system, i ask us$ 25.000,00.
A comparable system like Cessaro Beta does go for as much as us$ 120.000,00
Many horn speakers have a typical horn coloration, honk, and do not sound natural , specially in the midrange. My speakers are practically free of any coloration, since the LeCleach midrange horn with its spherical shape avoids distortion, the throat passage from the driver to the horn is very smooth, and the round mouth edge avoids diffraction to a high degree. Combined with the choosen compression driver, which is regarded as one of the best ever made, the result is a surprisingly natural, full bodied tone, texture and timbre of the instruments without coloration , highest dinamic contrast, exceptional wide and explosive dynamics with lowest distortion are the result, clean sound, lifelike dimensionality, stunning realism, and a perfect, holographic stereo image. What contributes to this result is also the very short signal path through the single ended valve amp, and the choice of a very simple first order crossover, with just one highest quality, german vintage oil in foil cap for the midrange and the tweeter.

Angelo

Last edited:
avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Angelo,

wow man, that's a real killer system indeed! Hat's off to you, Sir!
BTW, are you going to use your system to power up the upcoming Brazilian carnival steel bands??

Hey guys, why not planning a trip down to Brazil to enjoy the "samba" and also Angelo's awful power plant as wel?? :cool:;)

Regards, Chuck

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis