my spherical horn speaker system

HedgeHog

HedgeHog

Audioholic Intern
Thx for the info, Angelo. That looks really tempting but I'm "only" budgeting for a set of 802D. Perhaps, the next system will incorporate these.

I'll keep lurking your forum, though. There's some nice stuff going on...especially that Dr.'s place with the Nautilus/Jeff Rowlands/Transparent/etc...wow. :eek:

All the best,
Hedwig

hello Hedwig

the efficiency of the satellite is 109db/wm. The valve amp to drive the horns has 18w, but i never listen with more than a few watts.
The basshorn has ~ 104db/wm, and is driven by a RAS 300 plate amp from Inosic, with 300Watts at 8ohms.
The difference to the Avantgardes is big. While Avantgarde uses ABS plastic for their horns, and a metal frame, my horns are entirely hand made of MDF, in a very time consuming work. Actually, it took about ten month to finish the whole system. While i use rare, vintage and carefully selected alnico horn compression drivers, Avantgarde uses modern , off the shelf, easy commercially available drivers.
Speaker building is not a pro work for me, i do it just as a hobby. I have taken orders in the past, and still do. But i discuss with each client extensively the wished configuration, and price depends on that. The price i ask is however far less than Avantgardes, and others, since the speakers are sold direct, and not through usual commercial channels, where the markup is finally as high as 500%, or even more. Just to give you a idea. For the present setup at home, 4 way full horn loaded system, i ask us$ 25.000,00.
A comparable system like Cessaro Beta does go for as much as us$ 120.000,00
Many horn speakers have a typical horn coloration, honk, and do not sound natural , specially in the midrange. My speakers are practically free of any coloration, since the LeCleach midrange horn with its spherical shape avoids distortion, the throat passage from the driver to the horn is very smooth, and the round mouth edge avoids diffraction to a high degree. Combined with the choosen compression driver, which is regarded as one of the best ever made, the result is a surprisingly natural, full bodied tone, texture and timbre of the instruments without coloration , highest dinamic contrast, exceptional wide and explosive dynamics with lowest distortion are the result, clean sound, lifelike dimensionality, stunning realism, and a perfect, holographic stereo image. What contributes to this result is also the very short signal path through the single ended valve amp, and the choice of a very simple first order crossover, with just one highest quality, german vintage oil in foil cap for the midrange and the tweeter.

Angelo

Porschetech

Porschetech

Audioholic
:eek: holy!!!!!......never seen anything like that before. are they real?

A

Angelo8888

Enthusiast
Thx for the info, Angelo. That looks really tempting but I'm "only" budgeting for a set of 802D. Perhaps, the next system will incorporate these.

I'll keep lurking your forum, though. There's some nice stuff going on...especially that Dr.'s place with the Nautilus/Jeff Rowlands/Transparent/etc...wow. :eek:

All the best,
Hedwig
hello Hedwig

i am starting to work now on horns casted in acryl. The manufacturing process is much easier and faster, and consequently final price will drop as well.
I have made also a smaller system , the AudioVoice Sonata :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12312992@N07/page4/

it uses the extraordinary Radian 950pb compression driver, employd in the

us$80.000,00 Sunnycable H3W15S horn system :

http://www.sunnycable.com/images/Speakers/H3W15S Front.jpg

this system is in the price range of the B&W 802d, but performance is not comparable. If you prefere lifelike, dinamic and natural sound, rocksolid , controlled and fast bass, these deliver it..... . The Sonata's woofer is active driven, and the horn passive.

rds Angelo

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
NICE stuff there. but those spikes on that beautifull hard wood floor :wow:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis