rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I absolutely love the looks of that front sound stage. If it sounds half as good as it looks it must be incredible. In a dedicated theater room I don't think there's any other way to go. The THSPUD looks incredible too and your reviews say nothing but praise. I only have one question, are you running rear speakers? I know you had them in there at one point just wondering if you decided to eliminate them or if you are still running something.
Thanks, the look has grown on me mostly due to how good it sounds.:D

It's a 7.1 with Revel I-30 in-walls as the surrounds. They are three ways with a 9" woofer and do a nice job.

MidnightSensi I thought I saw inwall rears in one of the photos...

If the time as come to upgrade the rears, I have a pretty sick inwall solution to keep up with the front.

Egging rmk on to spend money is like my latest hobby.
OK, I'll bite ...

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks, the look has grown on me mostly due to how good it sounds.:D

It's a 7.1 with Revel I-30 in-walls as the surrounds. They are three ways with a 9" woofer and do a nice job.

OK, I'll bite ...
Well the inwalls you have are very nice, but Bag End came out with a sealed inwall version of the MM8 I hope to hear soon. I'm probably going to put them in my fathers house when he renovates after the holidays. I'll see if I can get a listen on Wednesday and if so I'll give you a report.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Well the inwalls you have are very nice, but Bag End came out with a sealed inwall version of the MM8 I hope to hear soon. I'm probably going to put them in my fathers house when he renovates after the holidays. I'll see if I can get a listen on Wednesday and if so I'll give you a report.
Thanks, I could not find any info on the Bag End In-walls. Must be brand new. Here is a pic of the I30.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Trading Places

My intro to the “pro-audio” world came quite by accident. First it was a visit to a local pro-audio store for a balanced cable purchase. The owner gave me a demo of his full blown out door concert setup and I was astonished at the impact of all those watts running through very efficient speakers with big drivers. This was hardly the audiophile (glass of wine) setup I had created. This was JD on the rocks and lots of it.

Phase two was visiting an AVS forum member who like me had gone through the Audiophile speaker world (hemorrhaging cash all the way) looking for true theater sound. This guy produces motion pictures and he was serious about re-creating the movie experience in his home. He heard about JTR through Mark Seaton as Mark had worked with Jeff at Danley Sound Labs and they had collaborated on the Triple12LF design. It was this demo that really opened my eyes and ears to pro-audio.

I get it about how the system doesn’t look as cool or pretty as it did with the Revel/Fathom, but the difference in sound is amazing. I had some neighbors over for a demo this weekend. They had heard and were impressed with the Revel/Fathom setup but everyone noticed the difference in both the quality and quantity of the sound.

Right now I am just enjoying the fruits of my labor and don’t mind the look. The fix is relatively easy as I have the perfect setup for a false wall and an AT screen to hide all this industrial looking gear. The down side is I will need (want;)) a new projector and screen plus I will lose the Plasma. With video going through so many technology changes right now waiting will only benefit me in the long run. In the mean time, I am pretty darn close to my Mini IMAX dream system at least audio wise.

Looking good Billy Ray

Sounding good Luis

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Did you actually set up both sets of speakers (Revels vs JTR) for a side by side level matched comparison, or are you mainly going off of memory? :)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Did you actually set up both sets of speakers (Revels vs JTR) for a side by side level matched comparison, or are you mainly going off of memory? :)
Originally Posted by croseiv
Personally, I don't feel the need to listen
:)

Actually, I do rely on my ears and feeble memory.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
:)

Actually, I do rely on my ears and feeble memory.
Nothing like taking a quote I made out of context. But we all know that memory of how things may have sounded can be a bit flawed....But undoubtedly your JTRs are clearly the best sounding thing out there, so maybe I should give them a listen...;)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Nothing like taking a quote I made out of context. But we all know that memory of how things may have sounded can be a bit flawed....But undoubtedly your JTRs are clearly the best sounding thing out there, so maybe I should give them a listen...;)
Sorry if you felt it was taken out of context. I am amazed that anyone in this hobby would say that in any context but I got your point.

The JTR's may not be "clearly the best sounding thing out there" but they are certainly working well for me. I am thrilled to have that kind of performance for the relatively low cost.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
I totally agree that the Revel speakers were much better looking. But there's no compromise over sound. If the new ones sound much better, then that's how it's going to be.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I totally agree that the Revel speakers were much better looking. But there's no compromise over sound. If the new ones sound much better, then that's how it's going to be.
Thanks,:)

In an attempt to be clear, The Revels were beautiful and fantastic sounding speakers. The detail and imaging is top notch. They do not have the dynamic range and SPL capability of the JTR's and that is one of the reasons for my change.

The full disclosure is that I was able to sell the Revels for essentially what I paid for them, purchase the JTR"s and bank a lot of cash. Considering the Fathom/ Danley was the same situation, I have quite a war chest for future upgrades. Bottom line is from a system audio performance standpoint, I am happier now than ever before.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
The more I think about it, the less I like it...change it back;)
Thanks,:)

In an attempt to be clear, The Revels were beautiful and fantastic sounding speakers. The detail and imaging is top notch. They do not have the dynamic range and SPL capability of the JTR's and that is one of the reasons for my change.

The full disclosure is that I was able to sell the Revels for essentially what I paid for them, purchase the JTR"s and bank a lot of cash. Considering the Fathom/ Danley was the same situation, I have quite a war chest for future upgrades. Bottom line is from a system audio performance standpoint, I am happier now than ever before.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
The more I think about it, the less I like it...change it back;)
Even if you aren't into the speakers, at least this thread is interesting. Those JTRs would eat a lot of the internet direct stuff recommended on here for breakfast in terms of both sound quality and output, and I haven't heard THSPUD but if its like the other Danley subs I have heard it would chew and spit out a SVS and ask for seconds. ;)

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Here's what I find interesting about this thread, I wonder what rmk will move to next (hopefully not BOSE)...?:D

Last edited:
rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Even if you aren't into the speakers, at least this thread is interesting. Those JTRs would eat a lot of the internet direct stuff recommended on here for breakfast in terms of both sound quality and output, and I haven't heard THSPUD but if its like the other Danley subs I have heard it would chew and spit out a SVS and ask for seconds. ;)
True dat:p

Here's what I find interesting about this thread, I wonder what rmk will move to next (hopefully not BOSE)...?:D
What I find interesting ... is what you find interesting enough to comment on.:p

I'm going to have a couple of AV guys over to the house this weekend to bear witness. They may tell me I'm out of my mind and the system sounds like shite. Or they could offer me their wives and first born in trade. More likely is yeah, sounds great man ... where's the beer?

Last edited:
MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Some tool negative repped me with "measurements?" .... yeah, one my ears were warm the others I wanted to go to sleep.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I don't think I even want to start thinking about it :D:D
I know what you mean (I think).

I suppose that laying out my frequently changed AV system for public scrutiny wasn't the smartest thing to do. OTOH, I have received a lot of great information and suggestions that have allowed me to define and refine what I want from the AV system.

I enjoy looking at other members systems and reading about their experiences and opinions. I just hope that others can take something from my experience that will help them get the system they want.

The JTR"s (beautiful on the inside;))

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis