J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
If a vote were taken I'm sure the consensus would be yes I am :p
Undoubtedly. Question is if you could be considered crazier than mike, which I'd have to think about... I do miss his "45 days until..." sigs...

For HT, I like these big ugly super efficient (100db sensitivity) pro-audio boxes (as long as I don't have to look at em;)).
I actually dig the industrial look. :cool:

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Undoubtedly. Question is if you could be considered crazier than mike, which I'd have to think about... I do miss his "45 days until..." sigs...

I actually dig the industrial look. :cool:
Mike's in a crazy class all by himself.:p;)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Mike's in a crazy class all by himself.:p;)
but i think "45 days until..." is ALWAYS trumped by:

"surprise! i threw away my previous setup and i have a new one ... and i've repainted the whole room too all in one day" :cool::D

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
but i think "45 days until..." is ALWAYS trumped by:

"surprise! i threw away my previous setup and i have a new one ... and i've repainted the whole room too all in one day" :cool::D
Let me assure you Mike, all of the equipment is being properly recycled:p;)

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
I sure liked those Revels....That set up looked very classy.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I sure liked those Revels....That set up looked very classy.
The Revel Ultimas are beautiful looking/sounding speakers. My goal of getting theater sound at home is better served with the JTR's. The fact that the JTR's are 1/5 the price and to my ears sound better for HT was also a consideration. But classy is not a term that would normally be used to describe the JTR's:p. They need to be heard to be apprieciated.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
you're right though, if HT is the purpose, no sense using "audiophile" speakers.

you can now use the saved money for Gothams in your bedroom. :D

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
you're right though, if HT is the purpose, no sense using "audiophile" speakers.

you can now use the saved money for Gothams in your bedroom. :D
Well I admire your determination Mike:D but I think I'll put it some place safe ... like the Stock Market ...:rolleyes::confused::eek::p

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Making major changes to my HT room has caused me to re-think everything including the subs. The quad Fathoms have been great with clean strong output but like their counter parts my Revel Ultima speakers, they were very showy and Audiophile.

Don’t get me wrong, the Fathom/Revel combo produced a very sweet sound that when balanced out represented a fantastic sounding system. While it was capable of producing very clean movie theater like sound dynamics, that was not their design intent. The Fathoms are perhaps the best music/HT subs being built and their good looks and small form factor makes them easy to integrate into any room decor. The Revels live up to their excellent reviews (both professional and owner) and for a more heavily music weighted system are about as good as it gets.

After hearing several “pro-audio” based sound systems, I slowly began to realize that I was using the wrong tools for the job I needed done. My system use is 95%HT and while I believe that films still require a music capable system, the dynamics needed to reproduce a big action movie soundtrack go beyond what most audiophile speakers are comfortably capable of producing. Please excuse the analogy but essentially, I was driving my Ferrari system off road when what I needed was a jeep.

For me, this “process” started with a demo of a Pro-audio system at a Carvin retail outlet near where I work. What I heard there was the loudest sound I had ever heard come out of speakers (well besides a Blue Cheer concert in 1971). It was so loud that it was impossible to make any judgment about sound quality but I found myself getting goose bumps sort of like an F118 fly over. Next, I had a demo at another forum member’s house. Like me (but on steroids), he had gone down the audiophile route in building a system for HT use. Now this guy is a producer of independent films and “in the business” so his interest in having a Home Theater was a bit more focused than many of us “hobbyists.

His system consisted of the JTR speakers you see pictured (above and below) as well as the Danley DTS-20 subwoofer. He was using the same SSP as me (Integra 9.8) and was powering his 7.1 system with a Wyred for Sound, 7 channel amp that is similar in power/performance to my Sunfire TGA 400/7.

What I heard at this demo was a familiar clean and articulate sound but with dynamics and sheer output capability that went beyond what my “audiophile” based system was designed to do. I also noticed that these big industrial looking speakers became much better looking as the demo progressed. While they can never match the beautiful fit and finish of my audiophile gear, they look utilitarian and the form follows function as it should. Also, my dedicated room makes having pretty looking speakers nice to have, but not a prerequisite.

So what we have here is an AV epiphany … a “paradigm shift” if you will in the makeup of my system. I know myself well enough to avoid saying I have found exactly what I am looking for, but it is (in hind sight) an interesting process I went through and I am getting closer to achieving the Home Theater I have imagined for the past several years.

There are some other changes happening. I’m getting a new projector and screen. Building an equipment closet into the screen side wall and the Av cabinet is going away. I ordered a new subwoofer from Danley Labs that should give me all that I had with my quad Fathoms in a relatively small single box solution. I will post pics here as progress is made. Room as it stands today:

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
For me, this “process” started with a demo of a Pro-audio system at a Carvin retail outlet near where I work.
I knew you had been hanging out there again. ;) Nice post and I agree about the dynamics of sound systems. I've recently discovered the world of JBL speakers and the thing they do very well is dynamic sound across all frequencies. Your new speakers have a JBL look to them. I wonder if JTR ever worked for JBL?

Any luck with the rack?

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I knew you had been hanging out there again. ;) Nice post and I agree about the dynamics of sound systems. I've recently discovered the world of JBL speakers and the thing they do very well is dynamic sound across all frequencies. Your new speakers have a JBL look to them. I wonder if JTR ever worked for JBL?

Any luck with the rack?
No JBL associations with JTR to my knowledge but there are direct ties to Danley Sound. So in a sense, I'm going with a Danley derived LCR + sub system.

I'm grinding through the details of the video now and it will affect the final speaker positions. I'm trying to keep the plasma in the mix (wall mounted) but that means I have to use a electric AT screen and the speakers will be visable when the screen is up. Decisions, decisions:p.

I've decided to do a built in cabinet with adjustable shelves so I won't be needing the rack. Thanks for making the connection for me though.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
The beat goes on

Yes, old crazy Rob is at it again. I sold the Revels and the Fathoms even though I was theoretically finished with the Audio in the room. I had started looking looking some new video options (AT fixed screeen and new projector) and visited another Forum member’s home who had gone through a similar process of upgrading from midfi to some very high end audio for his HT application. He had the JTR speakers you now see in my HT.

Long story short, to achieve great Theater like sound requires lots of power and high efficiency loudspeakers capable of the handling the wide dynamic range of movie soundtracks. With “high end” products like Revel and JL, you get a very refined and well made product (great aesthetics) but the DIY guys have it right in that you pay a lot for the name brand and the fit and finish.

Bottom line is that once I heard his system and looked past the aesthetics issues, I realized that I was spending much more than necessary to get what I wanted which was real Theater sound. I am fortunate in that I have a dedicated space and that I shop hard for all of my equipment and so have some liquidity in my gear when the inevitable selling happens. I hope this latest move provides some stability in the HT room audio wise but realistically, this is a hobby and for me that means that change is both fun and inevitable.

Here are some pics of the room in it’s current unusable state. I am installing an equipment closet in the former small dual linen storage cabinet area outside the HT room. The front of the in-wall equipment rack will be hidden by an acoustic panel on drawer slides for access. There will be a louvered door on the closet outside the HT room for rear access. I’m going RF for all of the electronics.

This storage area is the new equipment closet and will be demoed today.

A rough cut of the new equip rack acess inside the room.

My non-functional HT

Now, back to work!:)

Last edited:
Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Long story short, to achieve great Theater like sound requires lots of power and high efficiency loudspeakers capable of the handling the wide dynamic range of movie soundtracks. With “high end” products like Revel and JL, you get a very refined and well made product (great aesthetics) but the DIY guys have it right in that you pay a lot for the name brand and the fit and finish.
The same applies to music systems as well. There is more than one way to achieve good sound quality. Most, if not all, movie theaters and venues playing live music use high efficiency speakers like JBL, Tannoy, and others.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Haha, looks like you'll be watching some test movies tonight.

For the rack you should look into Middle Atlantic. Their website sucks, but just download the PDF catalog or talk to your local distributor. Now that you're using professional amplifiers and processing equipment, it's so much easier just to screw them in. For cable boxes and such, you just send them the measurements (or a lot of times they already have the measurements if you give them the model number) and get a shelf and faceplate. You can buy the shelves seperate, move them up and down as needed, etc. They have nice wood finished ones now. The wire management on those is so much easier than anything you can come up with using a cabinet maker.

I like the ones that you mount on the wall and can swivle out. If I didn't rent thats what I would have gotten.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Haha, looks like you'll be watching some test movies tonight.

For the rack you should look into Middle Atlantic. Their website sucks, but just download the PDF catalog or talk to your local distributor. Now that you're using professional amplifiers and processing equipment, it's so much easier just to screw them in. For cable boxes and such, you just send them the measurements (or a lot of times they already have the measurements if you give them the model number) and get a shelf and faceplate. You can buy the shelves seperate, move them up and down as needed, etc. They have nice wood finished ones now. The wire management on those is so much easier than anything you can come up with using a cabinet maker.

I like the ones that you mount on the wall and can swivle out. If I didn't rent thats what I would have gotten.
I am making a custom box (open back) with adjustable shelving. Not worried about wire management as wire ties are cheap;).

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I am making a custom box (open back) with adjustable shelving. Not worried about wire management as wire ties are cheap;).
Depending on how much your spending on the custom box, you might be better just to get the Middle Atlantic one that has all the ergonomics. ;) Juuusstttt check it out and see....you might not like it...but its worth at least looking at.

If you do lots of wire ties, make most of them loose. It doesn't look as good, but when you want to move something around you can snake them through the loose wire tires and not have to cut and start over. I used to go wire tie crazy. Recovering wire tie addict here.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Depending on how much your spending on the custom box, you might be better just to get the Middle Atlantic one that has all the ergonomics. ;) Juuusstttt check it out and see....you might not like it...but its worth at least looking at.

If you do lots of wire ties, make most of them loose. It doesn't look as good, but when you want to move something around you can snake them through the loose wire tires and not have to cut and start over. I used to go wire tie crazy. Recovering wire tie addict here.
I am to old to work this hard:p. Got a lot done today but after 11 hours :( I to tired to take pics.

I looked at the Mid Atlantic racks and they are nice but I wanted a builtin look and the custom cablinet is being done by a friend so will be a good deal. This project will be finished this week but I'm taking a couple of days off while the sheet rocking is done. Should be back together and functioning by next weekend. I anxious to hear/feel the Danley:)

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I am to old to work this hard:p. Got a lot done today but after 11 hours :( I to tired to take pics.

I looked at the Mid Atlantic racks and they are nice but I wanted a builtin look and the custom cablinet is being done by a friend so will be a good deal. This project will be finished this week but I'm taking a couple of days off while the sheet rocking is done. Should be back together and functioning by next weekend. I anxious to hear/feel the Danley:)
Ah, bummer no pics, haha, I stopped by on my way to bed to take a look (its 5:20am haha). ;):D I brought my SPL meter for kicks to my set tonight at it gets pinned at 126db, so I think I'm going to need to consider some low-profile earplugs.

Yeah the Middle Atlantics you can build into cabinets. They have a series that is intended for that. They can also be mounted on rails so you slide them out to work on them. They are basically the industry standard for server rooms, but lots of audio/video people use them too.

Regardless, I'm sure it will come out great! I have a feeling the Danley will be a good ear-warmer.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Latest Upgrades?

After another 10 hour day the HT room was put back together last night. We used the new VOC free paint and the room was tolerable for the SO after a couple hours of drying. I'm really liking the built-in Equipment cabinet/closet.

I will be hanging one of my 3" Acoustic Panels (on drawer slides) as the inside door/cover for the equipment cab. I have a new Harmony RF remote and will be installing the emitters and such today.

To early for a review but after a very quick setup, the new Danley sub sounded great. I will be doing more setup via the Velo SMS-1 and trying Audyssey again in the next few days.

I still have a bit of work to do in installing the louvered door and the carpeting in the closet, clean up the wiring and move the projector screen forward a bit to clear the new taller JTR speakers. At least most of the dirty work is done and the room is functional again.:cool:

Here are a few pics:

The Danley Sub (in first trial location)

Yes, those are acoustic panels in front and on top od the THSPUD. Trying to disguise it:p;).

Rogozhin

Rogozhin

Audioholic
Are you using isolation under your components?

That's a wonderful setup!

Rogo

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis