Behringer A500 Amplifier: Objective Test Results

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
I am familiar with the Carver TFM 35, but there's a difference between the Sunfire and Carver amplifiers. Just because the same guy designed them doesn't mean they work the same or use the same parts. Unfortunately Bob has a bad habit of putting huge custom caps into all his amplifiers. The funky huge caps used in these 5 and 7 channel Cinema Grand amplifiers are ridiculous. Two massive capacitors and all that leg work, trust me they will wear quick.

Again, I don't know much about Bryston. I can't comment on them.

I like how made a cute assumption about my age.:p
Np
:)
The Sunfire i linked above 2x600 not a multi , the thing is a beast . I think Bob builds just fine amps that run cool and last , alot of the newer companies are taking his foundation and using it now days .
Bryston has a good rep and 20 year warrenty for a reason :) .

poutanen

poutanen

Full Audioholic
90% of my system is Yamaha so I certainly wouldn't mind my sub amp being Yamaha.

I've been debating about what to do for power for the amps (considering I'm running 2 A500's, a Denon POA-5200, my RXV1500 receiver, and a sub amp). I'm buying a house at the moment, and I'm looking specifically for a place with an unfinished basement to make it easier to pre-wire the whole setup.
Just so people don't think the new guy is full of ****... here's my intro thread...

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47539

poutanen

poutanen

Full Audioholic
Some leary members will continue to think you are full of....whatever those asterics are hiding, if you don't post pictures of what you've got in your system.:D

Don't worry, I'm not leary.:)
Yeah, not used to having words like s-h-i-t be censored... and I got my pic situation straightened out. Can't link to another forums pics or you get this...

:edit OH FOR F'S SAKES, I CAN'T EVEN POST A PIC WITH **** IN THE NAME!?!?!?!?! This is about to sound like an episode of trailer park boys...

View attachment 6281

Last edited:
poutanen

poutanen

Full Audioholic
BTW, back to my original question. I found a new Yamaha P7000s at a shop near my house for $785 CDN, so methinks that's the road I'm going to take... :D

Z

zane9

Enthusiast
Behringer A500 and volume control

I'm considering buying this amp: the price is great and looks like it's built like a tank. My layman's question is this: why are there volume controls? Isn't that the job for my pre-amp (which has both an A and a B channel volume control)?

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I'm considering buying this amp: the price is great and looks like it's built like a tank. My layman's question is this: why are there volume controls? Isn't that the job for my pre-amp (which has both an A and a B channel volume control)?
They are the equivalent of a balance control. Pro audio guys will adjust them so that both channels have the same gain. That allows them to make an easier time of adjusting faders on the mixer. In some instances thay can be used to reduce output in case one is using speakers with a low power rating. Normally they are used wide open and volume is adjusted somewhere else in the audio chain.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
from the man who has single-handedly sold a million A500's ... :D
it's too bad these yammy's are much too expensive over here.
can you link/pm your yammy sources or prices?
I don't know about a million, but probably a hundred or more, I would wager. I noticed my thread has been linked all over the internet and seems to have ended up being the catalyst for many sales of this product. Too bad I don't get a commission.

BTW, I am considering starting a loaner program. I used to have two(I gave one away in a contest on AH that user hifihoney won), but I now have one. I never use it, so it spends it's life in a box. The idea for the program involves sending the amplifier for free, for 10 days maximum per person, so they can evaluate it. The program would be limited to long term forum posters that appear to be upstanding individuals, and are located within the continental U.S.A. Each person would pay shipping one way - to the next person that is supposed to receive/evaluate it. FedEx shipping runs about $22, I think, for this item, on average to most addresses.

I have a local source that is a Yamaha authorized dealer. It's a somewhat high end pro audio shop(not the typical pro audio joint) and they only carry higher quality gear. They sell me P2500S for $360, P3500S for $450, P5000S for $530-$550(I can't remember exactly). I have never purchased a P7000S from them($630-$650???), so I don't know what kind of deal they would make on that amplifier. They offer a little bit more of a discount for buying several at once. I don't think it would do you any good to buy from them after you pay shipping(which I don't, of course). I can ship a single unit to you, of course, if you need me to, as a courtesy, if you feel it's beneficial to you.

-Chris

Last edited:
Z

zane9

Enthusiast
They are the equivalent of a balance control. ...... Normally they are used wide open and volume is adjusted somewhere else in the audio chain.
Thanks, FMW. That makes sense.

This thread is 57 pages -- and it will take a while to go through them. Anyone have recent experiences with the A500 in their audio system, and would care to comment?

poutanen

poutanen

Full Audioholic
Thanks, FMW. That makes sense.

This thread is 57 pages -- and it will take a while to go through them. Anyone have recent experiences with the A500 in their audio system, and would care to comment?
Yes. They are gain knobs, and most pro-audio power amps I've seen have them (whereas my Denon POA-5200 home amp does not). It's just that the behringers are a little more pronounced on the front of the unit.

Running in stereo, I have both knobs turned to about 11:30 (12:00 being straight up, 5:00 being max). There is very little white noise at this level, and then my receiver gives them roughly 5-6 dB more gain than the rest of my system.

In bridged mono, you must run the #2 knob at 0 gain, and run the #1 knob where you want (in my setup it's set to about 10:30 or so). This amp uses the difference between the two knobs for mono gain...

Hope this helps,

Aaron

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
BTW, I am considering starting a loaner program. I used to have two(I gave one away in a contest on AH that user hifihoney won), but I now have one. I never use it, so it spends it's life in a box. The idea for the program involves sending the amplifier for free, for 10 days maximum per person, so they can evaluate it. The program would be limited to long term forum posters that appear to be upstanding individuals, and are located within the continental U.S.A. Each person would pay shipping one way - to the next person that is supposed to receive/evaluate it. FedEx shipping runs about $22, I think, for this item, on average to most addresses.

I have a local source that is a Yamaha authorized dealer. It's a somewhat high end pro audio shop(not the typical pro audio joint) and they only carry higher quality gear. They sell me P2500S for $360, P3500S for $450, P5000S for $530-$550(I can't remember exactly). I have never purchased a P7000S from them($630-$650???), so I don't know what kind of deal they would make on that amplifier. They offer a little bit more of a discount for buying several at once. I don't think it would do you any good to buy from them after you pay shipping(which I don't, of course). I can ship a single unit to you, of course, if you need me to, as a courtesy, if you feel it's beneficial to you.

-Chris
wow, that's mighty cool of you about the A500. re: HFHoney, what happened to him? is he trying to put MAC analog meters on the A500? :eek: (j/k HFH)

i actually do have a CONUS address :D ... which yammy is equivalent to the EP2500 in power? (real power outputs of course <1%THD)

i was looking at the local units though and it did not have a switch for 110v and 220v (ours are fixed 220v) - i guess the units there are fixed 110v.

i wonder if it is easy/hard to switch the voltage.

edit: im thinking its in between the 3500 and 5000

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
wow, that's mighty cool of you about the A500. re: HFHoney, what happened to him? is he trying to put MAC analog meters on the A500? :eek: (j/k HFH)

i actually do have a CONUS address :D ... which yammy is equivalent to the EP2500 in power? (real power outputs of course <1%THD)

i was looking at the local units though and it did not have a switch for 110v and 220v (ours are fixed 220v) - i guess the units there are fixed 110v.

i wonder if it is easy/hard to switch the voltage.

edit: im thinking its in between the 3500 and 5000
[/quote]

Yes, it seems the units are set to a fixed voltage to the region they are sold within. So it appears that the USA ones will not be useful to you. :(

-Chris

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Np
:)
The Sunfire i linked above 2x600 not a multi , the thing is a beast . I think Bob builds just fine amps that run cool and last , alot of the newer companies are taking his foundation and using it now days .
Bryston has a good rep and 20 year warrenty for a reason :) .
And that sunfire still has two massive custom caps that are prone to failure. There's no getting around it.

This will be the third time that you have stated something about Bryston and their warranty, and this will be the third time I have to reiterrate I don't have any experience with them so I can't comment. It will be the first time I suggest that you are a poster boy for these companies in some form or another.;)

M

Mitcon

Audiophyte
Wowza,

long thread that I must admit I gave up on reading it lol.

So, what are peoples thoughts on these A500's now that they have had them for a couple of years. I'm wondering about getting 2 to use as monos for my mains if they are any good. Other choice is a Behringer EP2500 or Biema Q400 in stereo but they both have fans (though the Biema is thermally cued). I need about 300wpc-400wpc @ 8oHms, whats your thoughts ?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
knowing what I know now, i would either go for:

fan modded EP2500

or Yamaha P2500S

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
And thats is ?

The Yammy doesn't have enough power and I wonder if the EP2500 would really be quiet enough with the fan mod ?
my EP2500 fan mod thread
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45137

depends on how far you are and how low the noise floor is ... if there's anything in your room with a fan, this is quieter.

the A500 has 360wpc bridged (you are limited to 8 ohm speakers)

the P2500S has 250wpc at 8 ohms and 310wpc at 4 ohms

the P3500S has 350wpc at 8 ohms and 450wpc at 4 ohms

i have four A500's, two EP2500's and one Yamaha P2500S

i wouldn't buy the A500 again.

M

Mitcon

Audiophyte
I was just wondering why you wouldn't buy the A500 again. What is it you or maybe others don't like about them now you have had them in use for a while.

I do have a fairly low noise floor in my HT room, as the two AMPs I already use have a fan but it's thermally cued so they hardly ever come on when watching movies. If I use these AMP's on my mains the fans will come on with loud playback of music (95dB +) which do annoy me. Not so much when the music is playing as at that volume level you don't hear the fan but between songs or when music is paused you hear them for a minute or two.

Not a big issue but one I was trying to find a way around is all. The speakers I'll be driving will be fairly sensitive (about 94dB) 8oHm with a handling of around 350w. I don't want to use the A500 if there is something not so good about it, but for a fanless unit that has consumer level RCA inputs it seems quite ideal.

Is it just the limitation of being stuck @ 8oHm when bridged or is there other reason ?

BTW, your thread on the EP2500 fan mod is great and certainly a job well done.

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
mitcon, well aside from the being stuck at 8 ohms, there are some batches of A500's that add/distort a minor "sound" from the tweeters. (noticeable with piano notes)
do you feel lucky? :D i bought mine in 2 batches, one batch had this, the other didn't.

hope you saw the 1st and 2nd SPL meter readings i took of the fan modded EP2500 :)

M

Mitcon

Audiophyte
lol, no I'm not normally the lucky kind unless you mean bad luck.

Funny you say that about slight distortion from the tweeters as when I tried using a Behringer MX882 as a lin driver I got a slight buzzy distortion from the tweeters with simular sounds (if I put my ears to the speaker I could hear a slight buzz even when no source was played).

I only just saw/read the 2nd page and noticed the later readings. I may give more thought to the EP2500 if I could get that noise down just a tiny fraction more. I just tested my HT room with AC on and overhead fan and the noise floor is about 32dB. Don't know if I could get a fan that quiet, BTW do you know what the CFM air flow is of the fans you used ?

I'm wondering if I could get a slightly lower CFM and then add resistors to slow it a little more though too lower a air flow and I guess it might be pointless lol.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis