Where do you find new music?

A

Alexxus

Enthusiast
Amazon, the recommendation system there is really good. Also the part where they tell you what other items buyers who purchased that album bought, plus they have the reviews from other buyers.

J

jackbrown

Audiophyte
I used satellite radio to tract all my favorite music, I just got a stiletto2 ( cool stuff though) rock on:D:D

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
"before blah blah before blah blah... I heard it first on the radio"

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
Used to be mp3.com about 10 years ago until it was sold.
But now mostly Pandora, Amazon, and when the Amazon 30 second clips aren't enough go look them up on Myspace. I'll then usually check their top friends on Myspace since it's usually other bands as well.

I've also done the Phil Collins->Genesis->Peter Gabriel, etc. Even more so with Dream Theater and their different projects and appearances.

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
Year-end lists start coming out after Thanksgiving, and for the next month I go nuts, downloading and listening to all the albums I missed earlier in the year, stuffing my brain with music until I’m quivering and twitching. Some of the more interesting lists are:

The Wire
Boomkat
Cokemachineglow
Brainwashed
The Silent Ballet
Pitchfork
Drowned In Sound
MusicOMH

By New Year’s Eve, I came up with my own list: Fast ‘n’ Bulbous Year-End Summary & Fester’s Lucky 13s .

I buy CDs from local stores Reckless, Laurie’s Planet of Sound and Dusty Groove. The rest I get via Amazon, Deepdiscount, CD Universe, Aquarius, Wayside and Boomkat.

Z

zEBBiE

Enthusiast
I listen to alot of house music and find out about new tracks almost exclusively on blogs and forums. Also of course by listening to new DJ sets.

H

hotwheel2000

Audiophyte
I get new music from many sources. The best source is people that I work with. I ask them about their favorite bands and cds that they are listening to. As a good ice breaker on new projects I ask people to introduce me to a cd or band that they like. This gets me to listen to their favorite music and most of the time new music for me.

Used cd shops - these are the best places. I take 3 or 4 cds to the counter and pop them into their listening station.. in a few minutes I pop in the next cd and I get to sample and select my new music.

This is on the cheesy side, but I still belong to bmg music club. I listen to the samples and buy cds when they have a good sale.

Pandora is a great! I found last year and love it. This is the easiest and great way.

Brett A

Brett A

Audioholic
Some of my best finds were by asking people who worked in whatever store or cafe I was in what they were listening to. I found Portishead this way as well as Stereolab, Songs:Ohia, Clarence Penn, and Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant.

Mostly I go to the used music stores in Amherst and Nothampton Mass and put stuff in the CD players at the listening stations.

S

samhans

Audiophyte
Hi,
I find all new music from such online music sharing community like uPlayMe.com.
:)

S

socialcrawl

Audiophyte
Radio

I'm on the go a lot so I basically hear it when the artist is doing a radio interview.

F

fox

Audioholic
I still browse music stores and Sirius. The music stores are dwindling and there is only one left that is music/movie oriented in this part of the world.

D

davestradamus

Junior Audioholic
spin magazine
spin.com

rolling stone (sometimes)
rollingstone.com

download torrents. DUH you noobs. why pay for music? unless its vinyl.

good downloading everyone!
and remember to seed!
-david

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Anybody that I know that is a musician, or in a band I am always asking them questions trying to pick their brain as much as possible. The best recommendations for music (different genres, bands, albums etc) are the opinions of my friends that are in bands. The best music I have ever listened to from my standpoint were recommendations from them. They crush any media outlet IMO (T.V, Radio, magazines). The only exception to this is university/college radio in which you can find excellent opinions. Just my point of view.

Last edited:
J

jamie2112

Banned
Anybody that I know that is a musician, or in a band I am always asking them questions trying to pick their brain as much as possible. The best recommendations for music (different genres, bands, albums etc) are the opinions of my friends that are in bands. The best music I have ever listened to from my standpoint were recommendations from them.
I am a musician and engineer and EVERY bit of new music I hear is brought to my attention by other musicians. We have to stick together as there are so many lame uninteresting bands coming out of the gates these days. I am really not a fan of most of the new stuff that comes out. Every blue moon a new and exciting band will come along......few and far between that is...

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I am a musician and engineer and EVERY bit of new music I hear is brought to my attention by other musicians. We have to stick together as there are so many lame uninteresting bands coming out of the gates these days. I am really not a fan of most of the new stuff that comes out. Every blue moon a new and exciting band will come along......few and far between that is...
I always look forward to listening to the new bands and having an in-depth conversation with the person about the music....fun times. This is my prefered way to get new music.

A

avarsity921

Enthusiast
I used to find all my music on the radio, but as time went on my tastes changed and the radio seemed to keep playing the same generic music.
Now I listen to internet radio and Pandora and then check the albums out on imeem.com to see if I like more than just one song. Internet radio is great for finding very specific genres of music, something you'd never find on normal radio. Lately I've been having a lot of fun on Pandora setting up stations for whatever mood I'm in.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis