Just realized how big this generation gap is..

G

Grimfate126

Junior Audioholic
Ok. So my parents, me, and my sister were just watching tv, and suddenly the topic of religion came up. (Im a hindu.) My mom told us a story about how a hindu guy went to india, and decided to become Muslim. (we are supposedly enemies with them, totally ridiculous). Anyway, so me and my sister were like, "Ok? Not that big of a deal. I mean, as long as you act morally, theres nothing wrong with any religion." My parents, for some reason, went beserk. :confused: We got this whole lecture about how Muslism forced Hindus to convert THOUSANDS of years ago, how they are so bad, and violent. Then i got pissed. I mean, yea, im not a muslim, but i know MANY MANY MANY hindus that are much more screwed up and violent. Then they brought up the point of the sunnis and shites. How they are killing each other. Again, theyre radicalists, and they cant even be considered true Muslims. I agree that if i marry a muslim girl, its just not gonna work out, mainly because of cultural differences. However, my parents were flat out being racist. I decided to just shut up, since there was no way i could convince them otherwise. I mean, isnt religion supposed to unite people? And yet all we do is hate each other in its name. Makes me want to be an atheist. I cant wait for that kind of mentality to die out...

[/rant]

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I hear ya. I'll preface the following statements by saying that I've been drinking a bit and have no possible chance of portraying the extent of what I want to.

I think that a lot of very good people are religious. Likewise, a lot of very good people are not. I don't have a lot of high opinions for organized religions because I think that power leads to corruption, and it is very difficult for the leaders of a religion to overcome that temptation (I do, however, have a high opinion of many people who belong to organized religions). I see religion as a way of manipulating people - wars are fought over religion. However, while I think that many of the fighters are often doing it for a religious belief, I don't think that the leaders are - I think that the leaders use religion as a motivator and nothing else. I think that wars are actually fought over resources, as they have been since the beginning of humanity (and really any other species).

To borrow a clever phrase from my AH friend above...[/rant]

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Many Religions, 1 god. Can't all be right.

SheepStar

G

Grimfate126

Junior Audioholic
I hear ya. I'll preface the following statements by saying that I've been drinking a bit and have no possible chance of portraying the extent of what I want to.

I think that a lot of very good people are religious. Likewise, a lot of very good people are not. I don't have a lot of high opinions for organized religions because I think that power leads to corruption, and it is very difficult for the leaders of a religion to overcome that temptation (I do, however, have a high opinion of many people who belong to organized religions). I see religion as a way of manipulating people - wars are fought over religion. However, while I think that many of the fighters are often doing it for a religious belief, I don't think that the leaders are - I think that the leaders use religion as a motivator and nothing else. I think that wars are actually fought over resources, as they have been since the beginning of humanity (and really any other species).
Yep. Leaders take religion and use it as a weapon. But the problem is, it gets so engrained, that even the next generation is forced into the same beliefs. The sad part is, religious books and texts tell you to be, generally, a good person. They teach you to have tolerance, morality, etc. And the same people who claim themselves to be that religion defy those texts, just to justify being that religion.

ARGH. I really want to argue my point again to my parents , but i probably wont get dinner tommorow ;)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
ARGH. I really want to argue my point again to my parents , but i probably wont get dinner tommorow ;)
Argue, or have a full belly? It is a dilemma. :)

I think that different religions all try to get to the same end, but they do it in different ways. To me, religion is like a set of instructions to help us find enlightenment. Some people could find it on their own, but it helps to have some guidance. Human instinct and base nature, however, are very powerful - and it's those that overcome that journey and cause us to fight.

Of course, this is all just my opinion. I have not illusions that I know the fundamental truths of nature.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi

SheepStar
Perhaps not the specifics, but the general themes could be. I think that people get too wrapped up in the specifics. "My god does X, but your god does Y." Ugggg. IMO, it's all the same, but with different stories.

G

Grimfate126

Junior Audioholic
adam is now my best friend.

lol. i 100% agree. No holy book says to hate another. They all say the same thing: BE A FRIGGING GOOD PERSON. (without the caps, obviously)

and i decided to have a full belly. for now.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Ok. So my parents, me, and my sister were just watching tv, and suddenly the topic of religion came up. (Im a hindu.) My mom told us a story about how a hindu guy went to india, and decided to become Muslim. (we are supposedly enemies with them, totally ridiculous). Anyway, so me and my sister were like, "Ok? Not that big of a deal. I mean, as long as you act morally, theres nothing wrong with any religion." My parents, for some reason, went beserk. :confused: We got this whole lecture about how Muslism forced Hindus to convert THOUSANDS of years ago, how they are so bad, and violent. Then i got pissed. I mean, yea, im not a muslim, but i know MANY MANY MANY hindus that are much more screwed up and violent. Then they brought up the point of the sunnis and shites. How they are killing each other. Again, theyre radicalists, and they cant even be considered true Muslims. I agree that if i marry a muslim girl, its just not gonna work out, mainly because of cultural differences. However, my parents were flat out being racist. I decided to just shut up, since there was no way i could convince them otherwise. I mean, isnt religion supposed to unite people? And yet all we do is hate each other in its name. Makes me want to be an atheist. I cant wait for that kind of mentality to die out...

[/rant]
Take a look at these videos

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
We got this whole lecture about how Muslism forced Hindus to convert THOUSANDS of years ago, how they are so bad, and violent.
I realize this isn't your point, but IIRC, Islam has only been around since about 600AD...vs "thousands of years".

Mort

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
The first requisite of religion is to give up reason. From that perspective, all the things you mention follow, from your parents' hostility to religious warfare.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja

SheepStar
I sit squarely in the "I don't know" and "I'll wait and see" camps.

It all goes back to a philosophical argument. God is benevolent; God is omnipotent; large amounts of evil exists. Something doesn't add up.

The generation gap is large. I come from an Italian family and if I had wanted to marry a Polish woman, all hell would break loose.

Last edited:
J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Reading this thread makes me glad to be an atheist.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
The first requisite of religion is to give up reason. From that perspective, all the things you mention follow, from your parents' hostility to religious warfare.
Well put, and I agree 100%.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Reading this thread makes me glad to be an atheist.
IMO, being an atheist is no different than being religious; they're both absolutes. In my eyes, humans are too stupid to know either way whether there's a creator or not. However, I admit I do lean more your way.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
IMO, being an atheist is no different than being religious; they're both absolutes.
For me, it is the opposite of religion. It means not believing in anything without direct evidence. In particular, it means not accepting anything on faith.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Two out of ten ain't bad.:D I have never committed murder or adultery (of course, the adultery one is easy since I have never been married.) Fortunately, I couldn't care less about the rest.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
For me, it is the opposite of religion. It means not believing in anything without direct evidence. In particular, it means not accepting anything on faith.
I completely understand and respect your position. But even atheists have a little faith. I'm sure you've done something in your life that wasn't logical. We're human...

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis