XBOX 360 failure rate explanation

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Is this old news? I took it from a games website where I download my no-cd patches.

Megagames.com said:
After numerous reports about the exceptionally high Xbox 360 failure rate, Microsoft was forced to allocate 1 billion dollars to fix it.

Almost one year later, we have finally come to know the true story behind the historic RROD epidemic.

During the Design Automation Conference, Bryan Lewis, research vice president and chief analyst at Gartner, disclosed that it all begun with a single Microsoft's decision aiming to cut design costs for their Xbox 360 graphics chip.

According to Bryan Lewis, the epidemic happened because "Microsoft wanted to avoid an ASIC (application-specific integrated circuit) vendor", so they designed their own graphics chip and sent it directly to Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing for production.

Normally, semiconductor chips are designed on two stages. The first of them is the Schematic design where engineers draw a symbolic representation of the circuit. This should have been done by Microsoft. The second stage is PCB Layout design. In this stage, the abstract representation of the circuit is converted to real life Printed Circuit Board through a delicate and complex design process. Apparently, Microsoft decided to design its own PBC, but failed and ended up with an RROD epidemic.

"Had Microsoft left the graphics processor design to an ASIC vendor in the first place, would they have been able to avoid this problem?", Lewis asked before answering himself. "Probably. The ASIC vendor could have been able to design a graphics processor that dissipates much less power."

To fix the problem, Microsoft went back to an unnamed ASIC vendor based in the United States and redesigned the chip, Lewis added. (rumors have it that the ASIC vendor is most likely the former ATI, now part of AMD.)

Moral of the story: by going cheap and trying to save tens of millions of dollars in ASIC design costs, Microsoft ended up paying more than $1 billion for its Xbox 360 recall.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Last year Microsoft offered every xbox 360 owner a 3 year extended warranty. If their machine showed 3 red lights on the front of the console Microsoft would fix the console free of charge. The 3 red lights represent hardware failure. The majority of consoles suffered from overheating due to improper heat sinks. Components would become unsoldered off of the motherboard which causes the failure.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Thankfully I've never had any issues with any of the xbox's I've ever had, and I don't really know of many people that have had to send theirs away.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Thankfully I've never had any issues with any of the xbox's I've ever had, and I don't really know of many people that have had to send theirs away.
Wow I sure do:eek:. Almost everyone I know that HAD an XBOX now has a PS3. In most cases the red ring happened and they had to send the xbox back. The Microsoft chip fiasco doesn't really blow me away it seems they have this problem with most of their products. Vista is still having many issues and that is a huge problem with a lot of end users. I am glad I use a Mac.:D

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
My console lasted around 2 years. My console broke down on a thursday, I called Microsoft and the box to ship it arrived on Friday by Purolator. Purolartor came back that same day and picked up the console. On the Wednesday purolator came with the replacement conosle. Not bad service:)! The replacement console I was given works beautifully and I have had no problems with it.

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic

Everyone I know with a 360 has had to send theirs in (approx 10 or so different adults).

Before I had to send my own in a second time (it had started to freeze very often again), I traded it into Gamestop and now have a PS3.

When I got my 360 back on New years day 2007, if froze up for the first time less than 3 hours laters.

My PS3 has been played for over 2 weeks now, not one single freeze or any other issue (I love the fact I can import photos from my PC and have them as a background - my new son is my background image, f'n sweet). It runs the way I expected it to.

By the way, I'm loving GTA4. :)

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I have only had my 360s freeze up on me a couple of times, but besides that no issues to report... and my PS3 froze up on me the other day for the first time. I agree that the PS3 is a much more stable platform, but my only gripe with the 360 is the amount of heat and noise it puts out, besides that I love it. Now if only my Wii were black to match the rest of my consoles I would be happy.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
My Wii that I got on launch day broke on me after 6 months. Although it was a power failure that killed it so I can't really blame Nintendo. They sent a new one free of charge though in like a week so can't complain :D.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I had to send my XBOX 360 in for repair after about 3 months of usage. It kept freezing up. Virtually everyone I know that owns a 360 had to deal with failures and repair issues. Personally I feel it is one of the most poorly designed gaming platforms on the market. Its noisey and unreliable.

Despite the fact my 360 was repaired, it still freezes on certain game sometimes and the image distorts and floats off the screen when I play Star Trek Legacy occasionally.

In comparison I've never had issues with the original Xbox or my Wii.

There are only 3 reasons I keep my 360:
The online gaming is better than PS3
I prefer the controller of the 360 to the PS3
I prefer the game selection of 360 over PS3

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
There are only 3 reasons I keep my 360:
The online gaming is better than PS3
I prefer the controller of the 360 to the PS3
I prefer the game selection of 360 over PS3[/QUOTE]

I agree on all 3 counts. To me these are the 3 most important things in a gaming console. Even though the 360's hardware is unrealable it has not cost me a penny to get the console fixed and it was back to me in 6 days.

C

Cthulhu

Audioholic Intern
I gather that Australia got a later revision of the xbox hardware, because the problems have been less serious here, but many people have ahd the red rings of death.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis