Gas (Pricing) Is Getting Flatulent

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
Freakin' $50 to fill up the WRX.

"...She needs premium, dude! PREMIUMMMMM! ...DUUUUUDE!!" - Snake
You guys are lucky you get it so cheap. Filled my S60 up yesterday and it cost over $120 for 3/4 of a tank.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Gas is certainly getting expensive, but food prices are what I've really noticed. It seems like my grocery bill is nearly double what it was a few years back. I think everything is more though, I used to take out 120 bucks every two weeks from my account to live off of, now I'm pulling 200 every two weeks and I can't say I'm buying more than I did before of anything. Actually, I'm probably buying less. And I'm in college, so, I live mad cheap off crap food, I can't imagine when I graduate at the end of the year.

A year and a half ago, I advised my monied friends to buy gold. Those that did are mighty happy. Remember this...if a depression hits, in spite of the economic safeguards built into our economy by the U.S. Gov't. after 1932, people will spend their "excess" cash on means of escape from their perceived plight. They'll buy alcohol (or drugs) in greater degree, as well as other forms of entertainment to take their minds away from the gloom and fears. (Comic books and movies made their hayday during the Great Depression.) This time around, invest in what made huge profits back then...booze. :cool:
My generation was born just early enough to see the peak, but late enough to see the beginning of the fall. For those who never known anything but excellence in America, there will be some tough realizations. I agree there will be a rise in drug use, especially beloved alcohol, but also in the new, frighteningly inexpensive, methamphetamines for the poor, and socially acceptable 'pills' for the rich. I weap for the future, but can't ignore that it has already begun. Ice is a staggering problem, alcohol is as big of a train wreck as ever, and I have never seen so much pill abuse as I have this year. The middle and upper class has as many dope fiends as the hood, we can't kid ourselves anymore. Gas and food prices are only the beginning.

HiDefGuru

HiDefGuru

Junior Audioholic
Haven't read through all the posts, so I don't know how bad I have it...

We're at $3.99 for regular here in SoCal

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Gas is certainly getting expensive, but food prices are what I've really noticed. It seems like my grocery bill is nearly double what it was a few years back. I think everything is more though, I used to take out 120 bucks every two weeks from my account to live off of, now I'm pulling 200 every two weeks and I can't say I'm buying more than I did before of anything. Actually, I'm probably buying less. And I'm in college, so, I live mad cheap off crap food, I can't imagine when I graduate at the end of the year.
I believe a lot of the food price increase is due to the cost of delivery (increasing gas prices). And a lot of grain products that used to cost pennies are being diverted to methanol production, which also increases gas pricing, which increases food costs, which increases inflation, which increases real/perceived recession, which.......:(

It helps your cost, the environment, and the economy in a number of ways to buy only what is produced locally. (No apples in June. No oranges in September. Etc....edit...unless you of course you live in South America or Africa. ;))

Last edited:
Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
$3.65 on the average for regular unleaded here in Tampa. Tomorrow, what you speak is frightening, but all too probable and realistic. Someone mentioned the trucking industry - which has already been hit very hard. Even if the average Joe can suck it up with the over-blown gas prices and still get around, what's going to help drive us to the brink is the impact on freight and goods hauling. We're all focused on regular gas, meanwhile diesel is the 800 pound gorilla in the room that not too many people are paying attention to. In many places it is well over four bucks a gallon and climbing steadily. I know of a few independent truckers who have already had to go out of business and take up work elsewhere, doing other things, because they lose money every time they go on the road.

I've got an SUV and filling up at the pump these days really is starting to make me wince. I've already been looking to trade-in for something more economical. It's crazy to think that gas was about $2.60 or so just one year ago. Seems like a different world already, and no end in sight. :(

HiDefGuru

HiDefGuru

Junior Audioholic
I remember when a local High School boycotted big chain gas stations (Arco, Exxon, etc.) for a few days when it hit $1.80 a gallon from around $1.10 in a matter of months back in '01-'02. Of course it had no effect, but it's nice to remember those times... when driving my F-150 didn't mean having to sell a Kidney on the Black Market.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Freakin' $50 to fill up the WRX.

"...She needs premium, dude! PREMIUMMMMM! ...DUUUUUDE!!" - Snake
I know how you feel. And my Legacy GT has a bigger tank than the WRX! If I ran it completely dry at 16.9 gallons, I'd be looking at almost $70 to fill it.

$3.96 a couple days ago, and I've seen $4.00 for 93 octane today. Still, since it's stayed at $0.20 more than regular it's actually a smaller price increase for premium (percentage wise) over regular than it was in the past.

More expensive fuel still hasn't started to annoy me, it's more expensive everything else :(

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
Today, I was contemplating at what price per gallon I would stop driving or buy a more fuel-efficient vehicle and I couldn't come up with one. Maybe somewhere around $6-7.

emorphien, glad to see another Suby owner!

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I say this with some trepidation, summer's right around the corner, when everyone takes to the roads (vacations, etc.), our governor has already said he'll cut back state tax on gas if it's out of control. I'll do a bit of guesstimating here, a gallon will be $5.00 (here in Florida) by end of August.

Here's something interesting:

http://www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/1054.html

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Today, I was contemplating at what price per gallon I would stop driving or buy a more fuel-efficient vehicle and I couldn't come up with one. Maybe somewhere around $6-7.

emorphien, glad to see another Suby owner!
Mrs. Tomorrow (aka The General) and I were just speculating about the same.

Last week on the news I saw one gas industry executive predict $8 per gallon in the U.S. in the not-too-distant future!! :eek::eek: Yikes.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
I say this with some trepidation, summer's right around the corner, when everyone takes to the roads (vacations, etc.), our governor has already said he'll cut back state tax on gas if it's out of control. I'll do a bit of guesstimating here, a gallon will be $5.00 (here in Florida) by end of August.

Here's something interesting:

http://www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/1054.html
Looks like I better fill up in New Jersey and not New York in July.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja

Last week on the news I saw one gas industry executive predict $8 per gallon in the U.S. in the not-too-distant future!! :eek::eek: Yikes.
Where's Detroit when we need them??? I know they did a bang up job during WW 2, but sadly I guess that was another generation, sad, very sad indeed.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Talk about an aerial shot!:eek: Wait a minute! That's your parole officer!!!

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
All I have to say is Im glad I got rid of my truck last year. Gas is getting insane, I think its $3.80 for regular in the chicago suburbs.

Sean

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai

My new car....

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis