Which speaker company do you think has the biggest "fan boys"

Status
Not open for further replies.
furrycute

furrycute

Banned
I like Boar's Head too.:)

I more of a Boar's Head ham guy myself. I have no problem with an individual defending their favorite product on the boards. I'm not fan of a company impersonating an end user and singing the praises of their own product.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Penny, there is no point in arguing with those "fanboys." They will call you names, defame you, drag you through the mud, literally.

How prophetic are these words from IntheIndustry:

"Fanboys often get angry or upset if someone disagrees or has something negative to say about their fanboy idol of affection, especially if the person disagreeing has real world experience to back them up."

Soundman, heed these words.

codexp3

codexp3

Audioholic
Every company in every product have their fan boys, they are the consumers who drives these products. Whether its speakers, mansions, Bentleys, Rolex, etc...it all have "idiots" who's willing to pay for it. can I hear my music better with a $200,000 speakers than my $1,000 speakers...chances are...NO. Can I tell time better in a Rolex than a Timax? NO.
More expensive speakers do offer performance enhancements. There are audible differences between speakers costing 1000 and 10000 dollars. Are the differences 10x better, as the price indicates? No, but even if that difference is only 10% to some it’s worth the extra investment. Don’t tell me for a minute that Revel’s Performa line is as good as their Ultima2 line, or the Paradigm Studios are as good as the Signatures. Cost to performance I’d most certainly go with the midrange speakers which offer 90% of what the high dollar items do. I find it better to factor out cost and make an investment in quality. Odds are you’ll own your speakers for years, get the best speakers you can afford. Not everyone that buys expensive speakers is an idiot as you indicate.

codexp3

codexp3

Audioholic
It's always been my philosophy that if one wants pretty furniture, then go to a furniture store and buy REAL furniture. And if one wants good speakers, then you buy speakers from a REAL speaker manufacturer.

I think my mahogany drawer chest looks very nice (it damned better be, since it cost me $$$$). And I guess if I have a 10,000 watt amp lying around here somewhere, I can make my drawer chest sing like a pigeon as well.

I'll sing that gospel! This man preaches the truth.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I'd say B&W and Paradigm of the legit brick & mortar brands, with Bose probably being even worse only we all know they're not legit.

Of the internet direct companies I gotta go with AV123.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I see nobody mentioned ........., oh wait somebody will be lurking:p.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
No doubt. MLS literally has a cult going on over there.
Is their any other founder/CEO of a company other than MLS that personally addresses customer service issues on their own company message board. This is a great idea but this direct contact with him on a daily basis builds their love and undying devotion. Not saying it is a bad thing but it can be a bit annoying.

Last edited:
G

Guangui

Full Audioholic
What are my "favorite" brands?

Just FYI, my favorite brand of ham is Black Forest Ham. Do I get sore that no one here seems to be interested in Black Forest Ham? Hell no. And I don't go around preaching to every single person that pops onto these forums that Black Forest Ham is the best ham on this planet.
Excellent ham, though not a brand just a type of ham done by many different ham processors (brands). Now, Boar's Head is a darn good brand of hams.

Having said that, I consider myself pretty neutral, but have to admit that sort of a PSB fanboy; I own them and think they provide the best bang for the buck in the market. From what I have read pro-reviewers and customers agree with me.

BTW, 3db is a big PSB fanboy, and has not said anything about it.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Ham...yummy...

BTW, Rite Aid had a sale on SPAM about two weeks ago, 2 for $5. I couldn't resist, bought 2 cans. Those things are really tasty, brings back good memories. Although too much of that stuff will give you a heart attack. Oh well.:D

P

Penny

Banned
Is their any other founder/CEO of a company other than MLS that personally addresses customer service issues on their own company message board. This direct contact with him on a daily basis builds their love and undying devotion.
Sure there is. Lot's of them as a matter of fact. But then again, I also stated that I liked his business model. My issue isn't with MLS it's with his lemmings.

So MLS is their David Koresh and they're part of his Branch Davidians. Where is Janet Reno when you need her? Anyone got a match?

Last edited:
I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
Lets just face it, all the corporate manufacturers could do much better, build your own and you got nothing else to compain about unless didn't follow the directions....:D
Alright, Sparky, let's "face it"... What could "all the corporate manufacturers" do much better?

I cannot believe I left out DIY Guy. These are the worst fanboys period and it's not even close. It seems that a lot of DIYers cannot remove the personal pride & attachment they have towards their Frankenspeaker and thus are blinded by it when recommending something to someone. The above quote is an excellent example. It has nothing to add to the thread except to promote DIY views. It's like some of them are old holdover hippies: keep on truckin' & fight the man!

They lurk around every thread, popping in just to drop an anecdote on how the sub they built in their garage is better than anything in the (for example) JLAudio line, and thus, people are idiots for not doing it themselves. Sure, they've never heard or owned a JL, but they're certain the one they've built is better.

Personally, I honestly do think DIY is a really cool hobby and passion for people who love audio. Some amazing products can be gotten or had through DIY and I greatly appreciate the personal attachment DIYers have towards their hand built creations. Many manufacturers have started that way. The venom I have towards DIY Guy is brought on by their incessant need to interject DIY into threads that have nothing to do with it, make silly claims (I can build the greatest pre-amp in the world for > $30, for example), and pretend to be smarter because they chose DIY.

In the past, I've genuinely & enthusiastically offered to DIYers to pay for a pair of speakers or one of their subs. Payment up front for materials/shipping & final payment upon delivery. I didn't expect anything for free or even at cost. I would just ask for a quote, even encouraging them to add a worth while profit (I would NEVER expect something for nothing). I stopped bothering with them because they'd never step up.

If someone could make a legitimately great, original piece that could conceivably be built & offered for a reasonable amount (doesn't matter: low-fi, mid-fi, or hi-fi) so we could market and sell it, I'd even look into going into business with them or helping them do it themselves (I am "InTheIndustry", you know). I have tons and tons and tons of contacts in the A/V world both in mfg, marketing, disty, custom, driver technologies, etc. that we could use. But no one's even come close to stepping up & following through.

To me, that's why DIY Guys are the worst fanboys. It just seems to be all bark.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Do we have a picture of MLS hidden away on this forum somewhere?

I think we should dig it up, frame it, light up a couple of candles, and put up a sticky titled "The Shrine of MLS.":D

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
Is their any other founder/CEO of a company other than MLS that personally addresses customer service issues on their own company message board. This is a great idea but this direct contact with him on a daily basis builds their love and undying devotion. Not saying it is a bad thing but it can be a bit annoying.
He has to because that's their marketing tactic. He makes himself a celebrity for the "common man" and they eat it up. Very smart.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
Best smoked ham I ever had was in the Smokey Mountains. Was going to florida with the folks and we got lost.

No brand name, no water added, just pure - smoked in a little shed out back- ham. Wonder if he sells on the internet now? ;)

Speaking of hams. Wow, Mr. Schiffler sure is quite the pitch man. That kind of stuff usually turns me off, but hey, ya gotta sell your stuff to stay in business.

For those of you from Canada, reminds me of Dave Nichols and Presidents choice (a good brand for lots of stuff).

Fred

G

Guangui

Full Audioholic
MLS is a nice guy, but nice just gets you so far. Let's be honest AV123 puts out a very good product at a good price. Do I consider AV123 a bargain? Not at all. Do I consider their products good enought to recommend? Definitely yes.

You have to back up your marketing with good product. AV123 has managed to do that.

Having said that, I still prefer PSB. I can go and hear them at a store, well known for their R&D efforts, good quality, and pricing that goes head to head with the best ID's out there. As an example, IMO, PSB Image Series (T45/T55/T65) competes very favorably with AV123 Rocket Series. Rocket will only outshine PSB with their RS850, and their looks. Have any of your compared pricing between both series??? Rockets are more expensive.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
To MLS and Company:

I have been a long time consumer rights against your company's unique and I must confess, highly effective, internet advertising campaign. For a very long time I have been a lone crusader against your chosen method of advertising. But lately seeing how it has become futile to fight against the inevitable, I have decided to capitulate.

Furthermore, as our economy has taken a nosedive lately, I am in dire need of some extra funds to support my audio hobby. So, I sincerely offer my services to you and your company, to spread the gospel of MLS and the Rockets, all over the real of the net, for a fee of course.

So, MLS and Company, if you are so inclined to hire me to be a part of your internet advertising department, I am here for YOU!

Please contact me via PM or e-mail if you feel so inclined.

Sincerely,

A true hamoholic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis