DVD Dead in 18 Months? We Don't Think So.

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Now that the high-definition disc format war is over, there is a lot of speculation about what exactly will happen next. Will Blu-ray players drop in price enough to really motivate consumers to get on board? Will the studios get behind those who would make downloadable content the new media? Will digital cable and satellite pave the way for high definition content direct to consumers' homes? Or, as John Cox, President of Xperinet Inc boldly predicts, will the DVD be DEAD IN 18 MONTHS.

Discuss "DVD Dead in 18 Months? We Don't Think So." here. Read the article.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
I am just gonna be blunt here, that is a stupid thing to say on so many levels first and formost with the ecconomy the way it is and getting worse. Folks don't have 35 bucks to blow on a blu-ray disk, what say you guys?

J

JackT

Audioholic
Finding an obscure person who nobody cares about, then boldly denouncing his crackpot prediction is not the stuff of interesting commentary.

Also, nice job with the sphincter joke.

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
Second the above...

This is just flamebait...

"Don't Feed the Trolls!"

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
How is Blu-ray the biggest jump in video quality?:confused: I believe the jump from VHS to DVD is far more significant. Not only was the quality jump more noticeable, but the advantage of DVDs is seen in many ways such as: no rewinding, typically error free picture, extra features, and less mechanical problems (no eating tapes). Blu-ray just has a better picture with a few add-on but IMO frivilous features that we certainly don't need to enjoy the movie.

The Asphincter guy has his head up his @ss.:D

It's not trolling when it's good entertainment fodder posted by the site... I'm checking the handbook, but I don't think Admins can be trolls... lol.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
Finding an obscure person who nobody cares about, then boldly denouncing his crackpot prediction is not the stuff of interesting commentary.

Also, nice job with the sphincter joke.

I'am sorry!!:(

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
How is Blu-ray the biggest jump in video quality?:confused: I believe the jump from VHS to DVD is far more significant. Not only was the quality jump more noticeable, but the advantage of DVDs is seen in many ways such as: no rewinding, typically error free picture, extra features, and less mechanical problems (no eating tapes). Blu-ray just has a better picture with a few add-on but IMO frivilous features that we certainly don't need to enjoy the movie.

I think someone who is counting bits of data could say that Blu-Ray is a bigger jump in quality than from VHS to DVD (think about how much more picture data there is with 1080 vs. 480, which is a difference of 600 lines, which is more than the difference between DVD and VHS by far). But as a practical matter, I agree with you completely and absolutely. The jump from VHS to DVD is much more significant than the jump to any HD format. A well mastered DVD can look very, very good on a HDTV. Of course, the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray will be more noticeable on a very large screen than on my "little" 42" HDTV, but then the differences between VHS and DVD would also be more noticeable with a bigger screen. And, of course, if one also considers how common it is for people to have problems with their Blu-Ray players refusing to play some movies properly (or at all!), one might start to wonder if DVDs are not superior to Blu-Ray...

W

westcott

Audioholic General

I think someone who is counting bits of data could say that Blu-Ray is a bigger jump in quality than from VHS to DVD (think about how much more picture data there is with 1080 vs. 480, which is a difference of 600 lines, which is more than the difference between DVD and VHS by far). But as a practical matter, I agree with you completely and absolutely. The jump from VHS to DVD is much more significant than the jump to any HD format. A well mastered DVD can look very, very good on a HDTV. Of course, the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray will be more noticeable on a very large screen than on my "little" 42" HDTV, but then the differences between VHS and DVD would also be more noticeable with a bigger screen. And, of course, if one also considers how common it is for people to have problems with their Blu-Ray players refusing to play some movies properly (or at all!), one might start to wonder if DVDs are not superior to Blu-Ray...
Ditto here, as well.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I think blu ray will take off better once television goes completely digital and more people buy new HDTVs due to it. I think by that time blu ray players will have come down in price a bit more, especially with the holidays being right before the analog to digital switch. But I still don't forsee it being enough to overtake DVD.

A

alexsound

Audioholic
Now that the high-definition disc format war is over, there is a lot of speculation about what exactly will happen next. Will Blu-ray players drop in price enough to really motivate consumers to get on board? Will the studios get behind those who would make downloadable content the new media? Will digital cable and satellite pave the way for high definition content direct to consumers' homes? Or, as John Cox, President of Xperinet Inc boldly predicts, will the DVD be DEAD IN 18 MONTHS.

Discuss "DVD Dead in 18 Months? We Don't Think So." here. Read the article.
Until they (BD) can sell @ 9.99 or less many older titles, BD will still be a niche type item. CC, Best Buy, Walmart, Target always has a ton of titles on sale for less than 10 bucks on DVD. Until this can happen with BD, forget DVD going away any time soon. I love my PS3, but I also know that as far as the Blu-Ray part is concerned, it's the software prices that will make or break this format against DVD, not necessarily the hardware prices even though, I admit those need to come down too.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
BLU-RAY DEAD IN 18 months! What's the world comng to? We're gonna die!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Until they (BD) can sell @ 9.99 or less many older titles, BD will still be a niche type item. CC, Best Buy, Walmart, Target always has a ton of titles on sale for less than 10 bucks on DVD. Until this can happen with BD, forget DVD going away any time soon.
Yeah...and ever since the war ended, many b&m stores stopped discounting BD discs...there is no more competition/reason to do so...or so it seems. I wonder how many BD fans will continue to pay $30 - $35 per BD disc...and for how long? It seems the war has certainly favored one side. :D

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yeah...and ever since the war ended, many b&m stores stopped discounting BD discs...there is no more competition/reason to do so...or so it seems. I wonder how many BD fans will continue to pay $30 - $35 per BD disc...and for how long? It seems the war has certainly favored one side. :D
Since the 'war' was decided I haven't seen much in the way of advertised sales for BD. Best Buy has still had unadvertised BD movies on sale in the store. I haven't been in this week to see what they are offering, but there were 2-3 titles last week and about twice that the week before. Unfortunately those titles were not new releases, for those one still needs to go to Amazon for a decent price, though that price could still be a bit better for a new release.

Something is up though with dvd though, Circuit City has advertised 60 dvd titles on closeout for $5 this week. We'll need to keep our eyes out for similar actions from others.

Jack

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
Most videophiles did not jump from VHS to DVD they jumped from Laserdisc to DVD which was a very minimal improvement.

I said this in another thread 18 months should be the mark of $99 Blu-Ray players.

DVD players will be dead at that point.
If you want DVD you buy a Blu-Ray player with DVD capability for your older stuff.

bigbangtheory

Audioholic
I find it interesting that these conversations don't seem to underscore how Blu Ray and DVD can CO-EXIST, rather than cancel each other out. This whole thread is predicated on the notion that Blu Ray is somehow going to spell the demise of DVD. I don't see the logic in even thinking about a format war at this point when all of the Blu Ray players I've seen double as wholly sufficient upconverting DVD players too! I don't see how a Blu Ray player is "at war" with any format it can support.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
I find it interesting that these conversations don't seem to underscore how Blu Ray and DVD can CO-EXIST...
...I don't see how a Blu Ray player is "at war" with any format it can support.
It's not so much a matter of "war" as a matter of will studios continue to release movies in both formats and for how long? Then if they do release both formats will all studios continue dual releases or just some studios? etc. This can work both ways, for dvd or for bd.

Jack

J

JackT

Audioholic
One thing I find a little bit annoying, is that, in their zeal to dismiss BR, people come dangerously close to claiming Hi-Def TV is also a flop.

What do I mean? I'm referring to this whole "DVD was a much bigger advance in PQ over VHS than BR is over DVD." I just think that's false.

Unless you have a progressive display, aren't DVD and VHS the same? 480i? If you have a progressive display, then you can watch 480p, and that IS much better. But if you have a progressive display, it's probably an HD set, and I don't see how you can deny that HD is SPECTACULAR compared to SD.

Or are we now claiming that HD really isn't that big of a deal?

Bottom line: BR is High Definition. Do people want High Def or not?

skads_187

skads_187

Audioholic
agreed, 30-35$ is still a bit steep at the moment for BD's. I'm slowly chipping away, buying a few here and there off ebay, ranging from 14-17$, shipping included, not a penny more. So far I have 5 BD's. The collection is slowly but surely starting. Hopefully they will drop in price soon. Tower.com also has some good deals on certain bd's.

bobnegi

bobnegi

Audioholic Intern
Bottom Line: HiDEF or Not?

Bottom line: BR is High Definition. Do people want High Def or not?[/QUOTE]

I guess for me it is NOT, I bought a HD DVD player with the 300 movie, I personnally thought the picture was a little bit to difined, almost grainy looking in its sharpness, and I really did not care that I could see every pebble on the road...watched 5th Element upscaled to 1080P on it, very sharp and very clear, but then again I still did not care that now I could make out all the vehicles on street level when they show her jumping out of the skyscraper

I was really hoping that this purchase was going to further feed my videoholic obsession, and take it to the next level...but alas looks like I shall be doomed with upscaling till the day I go to the local video store and 1/2 the new releases are in Blu Ray, then I may think about pickin one up

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis