Opinions Wanted - My Amp Quandary

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks, Mike. You just had to go and disagree with everyone, didn't you? :D

My go-cheap-in-the-near-term approach would be to buy one Outlaw M2200 for the center and call it done. However, I'm trying to think about the future, and I know that I'm not going to want to buy a stack of those as I start to upgrade. Just personal preference, as some people really like having a number of monoblocks. That's why I'm thinking hard about a multi-channel amp and am really leaning towards that. If I can convince myself that I'll never want to amp more than three channels, then it's one M2200 for me. If I can't convince myself, then it's one of the multi-channel amps that I mentioned.
but you already have a 2 channel amp ... are you planning on dumping that and getting a single chassis?

if so, Rotel RMB1095 200wpc x 5 2k

if not, 3 more monoblocks will take up just about the same space as another 3 channel or 5 channel amp.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks, Mike. You just had to go and disagree with everyone, didn't you? :D

My go-cheap-in-the-near-term approach would be to buy one Outlaw M2200 for the center and call it done. However, I'm trying to think about the future, and I know that I'm not going to want to buy a stack of those as I start to upgrade. Just personal preference, as some people really like having a number of monoblocks. That's why I'm thinking hard about a multi-channel amp and am really leaning towards that. If I can convince myself that I'll never want to amp more than three channels, then it's one M2200 for me. If I can't convince myself, then it's one of the multi-channel amps that I mentioned.
The Pioneer should be able to handle the NHT 1.5s on the surround channels just fine, maybe all you need is the one mono block for now. Consider this, amplifiers like the ones you are looking at are going to be cheaper a few years from now. It is unreal how much amplifier prices have dropped in the past couple of years.

I also think you should keep the Emotiva RPA-1, which based on what you said earlier you will anyway. As well received as it was in review it seems silly to stop using it. The review said it outperformed the MPS-1 for stereo output, and was able to better cope with loads.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Seth, cool deal. I tried too. I guess that's the important point isn't it, to experiment. (Sorry about the hijack Adam!).

Adam, the more you waver, the more I say get the best you can afford :D
What's cool about the brands you are looking at is that you can return them if they are overkill. But, tell me, why do I think you aren't going to return it?! :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
...3 more monoblocks will take up just about the same space as another 3 channel or 5 channel amp.
I had considered that! $921 with free shipping, but that's darn near what an IPS-1 costs right now. So, again, if the IPS-1 is enough power, I'd rather go with a single chassis (and four more channels) for $130 more. Decisions, decisions.

The Pioneer should be able to handle the NHT 1.5s on the surround channels just fine, maybe all you need is the one mono block for now. Consider this, amplifiers like the ones you are looking at are going to be cheaper a few years from now. It is unreal how much amplifier prices have dropped in the past couple of years.

I also think you should keep the Emotiva RPA-1, which based on what you said earlier you will anyway. As well received as it was in review it seems silly to stop using it. The review said it outperformed the MPS-1 for stereo output.
I hadn't thought about amps getting cheaper, to be honest. If true, that's a great point. With my current set-up, I'm really only interested in getting another amp channel for the center. It was future set-ups that had me heavily considering more channels.

I agree about the RPA-1. I don't want to dump it considering how well it performs, and it seems logical to keep it for the mains - unless I get something like an MPS or Outlaw 7x00 class amp.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I hadn't thought about amps getting cheaper, to be honest. If true, that's a great point. With my current set-up, I'm really only interested in getting another amp channel for the center. It was future set-ups that had me heavily considering more channels.
If you get lucky, in a few years Emotiva will have a seperates combo with HDMI 1.3 and all that fun stuff and a huge honkin amplifier to go with it for a good price.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Me thinks that I did not adequately convey my level of impatience. A few years?!? :D
Well they will have Emotiva components out soon with HDMI 1.3 and all the fixens, maybe before the end of the year or begining of next year. Is that soon enough for you?:D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
after weighing your options ... maybe the IPS isn't so bad ...

good enough for surrounds, center channel won't be bass hungry anyway ... last time I tried a 3 channel amp, only the left and right channels were warm, the center wasn't as warm which leads me to conclude that the center doesn't need as much power.

but i wouldn't dump the rpa, even if you had the ips.

but then again ... "what if"

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Adam, your receiver should be able to drive your surrounds nicely. I listened to all sorts of multichannel SACD and DVDA music and I have not yet felt the need to add separate amps for the surrounds. Why not try a monoblock first?

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Adam, Light That Candle!

Adam. In the movie The Right Stuff, we see Commander Alan Shepard sitting atop the giant rocket, waiting to become the first Ameircan launched into space. Delay after delay takes place. Finally, Shepard realizes all the geeks in command central are just nervous and don't want to commit to the launch.
Finally, he says a few words and then loudly says, "LIGHT THIS CANDLE!"
He knew it was time to launch that rocket. We are all just cap coms on your launch pad.
Buy that amp! You need to Light That Candle and Pull the Trigger!:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Adam. In the movie The Right Stuff, we see Commander Alan Shepard sitting atop the giant rocket, waiting to become the first Ameircan launched into space. Delay after delay takes place. Finally, Shepard realizes all the geeks in command central are just nervous and don't want to commit to the launch.
Finally, he says a few words and then loudly says, "LIGHT THIS CANDLE!"
He knew it was time to launch that rocket. We are all just cap coms on your launch pad.
Not quite the same, Alan Shepard was getting paid to do what he did, at least in some sense. The Caveman however is going to have to give up some cash....CHINESE ANTIQUES, BUY NOW!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Adam, your receiver should be able to drive your surrounds nicely...Why not try a monoblock first?
That was my initial thinking, too. Like I mentioned, if I can convince myself that three channels is all that I'll want for a while, then the monoblock is the best choice. I just don't want to end up buying a multichannel amp in the next four months (yeah, I made up a number) and then have two amps sitting around. I haven't thought of anywhere else that I could use a monoblock if I end up getting a multichannel amp.

I hear ya! Had I heard back from Emotiva on Friday, I probably would have bought one then and never started this thread. As the weekend went on, though, I started thinking about it more and more. Trust me, I will buy one...probably tomorrow...I just gotta decide which one (or two, or...).

The Caveman however is going to have to give up some cash...
Stratman is going to buy it for me? Woohoo!!! I'll take two. :)

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
He can afford it. His account has been building compound interest for 70,000 years.:D

I'll throw in a favorable note towards the IPS-1 idea. I just listened to the whole of Carmina Burana and pulled out the SPL meter while listening. Most of the program material was near the 60-70db range, but I had peaks toward the finale that hit 101-102 db. There was no hint of strain or clipping from my 125wpc Rotel. It may well be that the IPS-1 is all you really need and you will still have enough extra channels for future use or a zone 2, plus your existing amp for a nice 2 channel system. All that and instant gratification.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
All that and instant gratification.
Dave, thanks for the info and feedback on your experience (and thanks for measuring the SPL levels!) - plus, you really know how to get my attention! Instant gratification...I should get a t-shirt with that on it. On the flip side, if Emotiva won't be able to ship an amp tomorrow, then I'd need to wait another two weeks so that it would arrive on my next day off.

I had just about made up my mind to go with a monoblock, and now I'm back to wanting a multichannel amp. Oh, sweet merciful sleep...I await your arrival.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Woops, I didn't mean to implicate him, I meant you (for some reason I was thinking this was Stratman's thread:eek:)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Woops, I didn't mean to implicate him, I meant you (for some reason I was thinking this was Stratman's thread:eek:)
I'd poke fun of you, but as you are the self-proclaimed first ever asexual Chinese man, it would just get all political - and I would be forced to take diversity training again. :)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'd poke fun of you, but as you are the self-proclaimed first ever asexual Chinese man, it would just get all political - and I would be forced to take diversity training again. :)
Go ahead and dish it out, I can take it.

(this board may be recorded for legal purposes)

My lawyer told me to say that, just in case I need some....thing to read.:D

T

Tod

Audioholic
Unless I missed it, and I don't really think so, nobody here pointed out what to me was the best possible option: buy the MPS-1 (as in Modular Power Source) and take advantage of the lovely ability to add channels as needed. Buy the thing with 3 channels now and add more later so you dno't feel like you paid $1800 when you could have paid $1500. I'm running mine as a 4-channel (front and centers) and running rear surrounds off the receiver. You have to call and do that by phone I think, but it's one reason why the amp was built that way.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis