Opinions Wanted - My Amp Quandary

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Unless I missed it, and I don't really think so, nobody here pointed out what to me was the best possible option: buy the MPS-1 (as in Modular Power Source) and take advantage of the lovely ability to add channels as needed. Buy the thing with 3 channels now and add more later so you dno't feel like you paid $1800 when you could have paid $1500. I'm running mine as a 4-channel (front and centers) and running rear surrounds off the receiver. You have to call and do that by phone I think, but it's one reason why the amp was built that way.
One of the Emotiva reps told me they have discontinued this option and only sell complete amps now.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
One of the Emotiva reps told me they have discontinued this option and only sell complete amps now.
This is correct. Lonnie explained on their message board that the they ordered a specific amount of modules to fit the existing set of chassis and they would only sell them that way for now.:(

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, I was told the same thing... but good things come to those who wait. It won't be long till the new XPA-5 is out, and it's only $699 for 200x5, which is much less than a MPS-1/2 with 3 or more modules.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
...buy the MPS-1...with 3 channels now and add more later so you dno't feel like you paid $1800 when you could have paid $1500.
Excellent idea, Tod! I kinda forgot about that option in the shuffle, but I had already heard that:

and my hopes begin to fade...

This is correct. Lonnie explained on their message board that the they ordered a specific amount of modules to fit the existing set of chassis and they would only sell them that way for now.:(
and now they are dashed.

Yeah, I was told the same thing... but good things come to those who wait. It won't be long till the new XPA-5 is out, and it's only $699 for 200x5, which is much less than a MPS-1/2 with 3 or more modules.
Yeah, perhaps I'll go with a monoblock for now and move up later if needed. I still haven't heard back from Emotiva (e-mailed them on Friday), so there's little chance that I'd order anything today anyway.

Thanks to everyone for your input!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
This makes me wonder what they are going to do when they sell out of chassis and amp modules. Do they have a replacement for the MPS-1 and 2? You would think that they could order more modules if they needed them, unless they just plan on discontinuing those amps altogether. I know they have the XPA-5 coming, but no mention of any other amps has been made that I'm aware of.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
This makes me wonder what they are going to do when they sell out of chassis and amp modules. Do they have a replacement for the MPS-1 and 2? You would think that they could order more modules if they needed them, unless they just plan on discontinuing those amps altogether. I know they have the XPA-5 coming, but no mention of any other amps has been made that I'm aware of.
That is exactly what I was wondering when I read that this morning. The one thing that makes me think that they are not discontinuing that modular design in the near future is that they just released the MPS-2 chassis. Doesn't mean that it won't happen, of course.

T

Tod

Audioholic
Hm. I wonder what they will do for people with preexisting amps without the full compliment of channels (as in me) who may want to add more in the future. I suppose they'd have to have some on hand as replacements for anything that goes bad, so maybe...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hm. I wonder what they will do for people with preexisting amps without the full compliment of channels (as in me) who may want to add more in the future. I suppose they'd have to have some on hand as replacements for anything that goes bad, so maybe...
Wow, that's an excellent point. Hmmm, I wonder what would happen if someone called to just order more modules.

Hmmm, I'm starting to get excited about ordering an M2200 now (not because of this issue). I'll have to see if they could get it to me by Friday...

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I was wondering the same thing. I guess you could always email them and ask. And it wouldn't make sense since the MPS-2 was just released... weirdness going on over at Emotiva right now.

C

cfrizz

Senior Audioholic
Fine, go ahead & jump the gun. Just don't come back here whining that now you have the urge to hear the difference with how the back channels would sound amped!

There is no guarantee that you will be able to get back all the money you've spent on the 2 amps you will end up with when you go to sell them. That equals wasted money!

All it requires from you is a little patience, which would give you more time to save more money & to let you do it right the first time around. It would allow you all the options that could want amp wise for now & in the future.

Wow, that's an excellent point. Hmmm, I wonder what would happen if someone called to just order more modules.

Hmmm, I'm starting to get excited about ordering an M2200 now (not because of this issue). I'll have to see if they could get it to me by Friday...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Fine, go ahead & jump the gun. Just don't come back here whining that now you have the urge to hear the difference with how the back channels would sound amped!
I hear ya. You make a great point. While it may appear that I'm rushing this, I very rarely jump the gun on purchases. I always have rationale, whether I fully explain it or not. There is more than impatience at work here. One of my primary goals is to amp the front three channels prior to making a decision to get new speakers. The new speakers that I'm leaning towards are the SVS MTS-01 line, which is now in pre-order status. If I want a shot at getting some during the first run (perhaps prior to Christmas), I will need to order soon - assuming that I'm not already too late.

So, it's not just that I'm impatient. I have my reasons for the timing, as well as my ultimate decision. That said, I didn't order the monoblock.

Jey Jockey

Jey Jockey

Junior Audioholic
The upgrade bug is sure to bite! Why settle for something less, get what you really want now and be done with having to keep upgrading your amp sections. If you can swing it budget wise I would go MPS-1 and then IPS-1..both very nice units.

Enjoy!!:D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Just some info for anyone else out there going through a similar decision as myself. I received some correspondence from Lonnie at Emotiva that might be of value to some of you. In general, Lonnie thought that the IPS-1 would be my best choice out of the Emotiva amps, considering that I am very happy with the RPA-1 and am not too excited about paying the price increase on the MPS-1.

From Lonnie: "The IPS would more than likely be your best option here. It uses exactly the same technology and design as the RPA, just with a little lower power. It also has the same gain structure, so they would match up perfectly and would give you the ability to drive zone 2 speakers or move into a 7.1 system at a later time."

In addition, I asked about the upcoming XPA-5:

Q: "Do you think that the IPS-1 will outclass the new XPA-5 in terms of performance?"

Answer from Lonnie: "The IPS will definitely outclass the XPA-5. The IPS is a dual tracking class H which easily out performs the Class A/B."

Adam

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I don't think you would hear any difference between the IPS-1 and the XPA-5, even though the IPS-1 would "outclass" the XPA-5..

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think you would hear any difference between the IPS-1 and the XPA-5, even though the IPS-1 would "outclass" the XPA-5..
Oh, why did you have to go and say that? I was all happy that I could take it off the list, but now you have planted the seeds of doubt. :)

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Definitely post your impressions assuming you go with the IPS-1. I might actually get to hear one soon so I'd be curious what you think of it as well.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Definitely post your impressions assuming you go with the IPS-1. I might actually get to hear one soon so I'd be curious what you think of it as well.
Oh, I definitely will! I'll be sure to give my impressions of whatever I end up getting. I'd like to get your impressions of the IPS-1, too.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Oh, why did you have to go and say that? I was all happy that I could take it off the list, but now you have planted the seeds of doubt. :)
:p Just think, the XPA-1 has more power per channel... more power is more better!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Just some info for anyone else out there going through a similar decision as myself. I received some correspondence from Lonnie at Emotiva that might be of value to some of you. In general, Lonnie thought that the IPS-1 would be my best choice out of the Emotiva amps, considering that I am very happy with the RPA-1 and am not too excited about paying the price increase on the MPS-1.

From Lonnie: "The IPS would more than likely be your best option here. It uses exactly the same technology and design as the RPA, just with a little lower power. It also has the same gain structure, so they would match up perfectly and would give you the ability to drive zone 2 speakers or move into a 7.1 system at a later time."

In addition, I asked about the upcoming XPA-5:

Q: "Do you think that the IPS-1 will outclass the new XPA-5 in terms of performance?"

Answer from Lonnie: "The IPS will definitely outclass the XPA-5. The IPS is a dual tracking class H which easily out performs the Class A/B."

Adam

Thanks! Now I'm going to return my less than a week old BPA-1s and get an IPS-1 instead of waiting on the XPA-5... I'm such an audioholic.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
:p Just think, the XPA-1 has more power per channel... more power is more better!
Thanks! Now I'm going to return my less than a week old BPA-1s and get an IPS-1 instead of waiting on the XPA-5... I'm such an audioholic.
First you try to talk me into getting an XPA-5 instead of the IPS-1, and now you're going to get an IPS instead of the XPA! Punk. :D

I'm pretty set on the IPS now. I think that I might have my future system planned out. If I go with the SVS MTS-01 5.0 package, here's what I'd do:

Fronts bi-amped with the IPS = 150W x 2 per speaker
Center bi-amped with the IPS = 150W x 2
Rears amped with the RPA-1 = 200W x 1 per speaker

So, that would use 6 out of 7 channels on the IPS and both channels of the RPA. Seem reasonable?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis