height of bottom of screen to floor

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i've research the web, found that most recommend 4 feet ...

wouldn't that make me tilt my head up?

what should be the height of bottom of screen to the floor?

my screen would be 100" diagonal

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
I'm sure someone will chime in with the "official" recommendation, but I think it depends on how many rows of seating you plan on having and if they are tiered or not. My personal screen is about 2'2" off the floor to the bottom. It is a 92" diagonal screen, which has a 45" high viewing area. Do the math and you find the center of the screen is about 48" off the ground. Seated in my easy chair, my eye height is about 37". This is just right for me;) Much more and I would be tilting my head back causing neck strain or looking upward with my eyes causing eye strain.

Bottom line is determine the seating and put it at the height that seems best for you IMHO. I probably would not go any lower than the 26" line for the bottom, however.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I see, so 48" from the center of the screen. (only have one or two rows of seating)

i'm building a movable wall where I will attach the screen (think classroom blackboard with wheels)

so I can move the screen forward or back depending on where I position the LP

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

Assuming no second row with higher seating, the screen should be where your eye height is the bottom 1/3 of the screen. So, if your eyes are 42" off the floor when comfortably sitting, the bottom 1/3 of the screen should be at 42" as well.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

A lot is personal preference, too. In my last house I was forced to mount the screen a foot and a half higher than I generally prefer, with the top of the screen very near the ceiling. I always felt it was too high, and I had to crane my neck up almost imperceptibly. But everyone who ever watched a movie there loved and it and insisted they would hate to see it lower. Go figure.:rolleyes:

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Assuming no second row with higher seating, the screen should be where your eye height is the bottom 1/3 of the screen. So, if your eyes are 42" off the floor when comfortably sitting, the bottom 1/3 of the screen should be at 42" as well.
I think that about matches what I did, 48" to the center of the screen, but my eyes are around 40+" off the floor (depending on the angle of my back: slouching or straight)

thanks

A lot is personal preference, too. In my last house I was forced to mount the screen a foot and a half higher than I generally prefer, with the top of the screen very near the ceiling. I always felt it was too high, and I had to crane my neck up almost imperceptibly. But everyone who ever watched a movie there loved and it and insisted they would hate to see it lower. Go figure.:rolleyes:
I figure it's better to follow the center of the screen rule of the LCD's and TV's, to help me "adjust" to front projection :D

damn, I'm excited.

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
ok, i can't leave well enough alone. i'd like to elevate my screen so I can put "Stuff" below it ... right now I have:

one row of seats
eyeball height 41" - 43"
bottom of screen to floor 22.5"
top of screen to floor 75"
screen diagonal around 108"

i was thinking elevating height 4"?

but i'm afraid i'll be craning my neck.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The rule of thumb is always the center of the screen at eyeball height when seated, or at least the top third of the screen at seated eyeball height.

I'm 6' tall and that equates to roughly 42" (for center of screen) and is also roughly the height off the ground of my ears, so I use that as an approximation of where the tweeters should be.

I think you have it about right. Another 4" higher probably won't make all that much difference in viewing quality (or neck strain :)).

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i think the center of my screen is exactly 48.75" from the floor. given my eyeballs are around 42" i'm at least craning a few degrees. adding 4 inches would mean a center height of 52.75" from 42" - how many degrees is this? (i heard 20 degrees was ok)

brb, to "try" and do the math.

edit:

apparently, I need the distance of my eyeballs to screen = 13' or 156"

basically ... there's a triangle whose bottom leg is 156" in length, vertical leg is 10.75", and through pythagorean theorem, hypotenuse is 156.37"

= 3.94 degrees hmmm

http://ezinearticles.com/?TV-Viewing-Distance-and-Screen-Placement-in-the-Home-Theater&id=37449

Last edited:
T

timone

Junior Audioholic
My 92" fixed screen (diagonally measured) is mounted 26" from the floor just like the Dukester's. I read somewhere that as a rule of thumb, your eyesight when you're seated should be perpendicular to the top of the lowest third section of your screen if you divide it into three sections. In my case that is about 41" from the floor.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Mike, I think the fine-tuning may be dependent on the actual seating. How much natural recline there is, or however much "reclining angle" you like to use. My guess is "eye-balling" it and taking your best educated guess. :)

Man, if I was ever at your place, Im not sure if I would run to hug your kid first, or your subs first. :D

mike, you have just one row, yes?

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
My 92" fixed screen (diagonally measured) is mounted 26" from the floor just like the Dukester's. I read somewhere that as a rule of thumb, your eyesight when you're seated should be perpendicular to the top of the lowest third section of your screen if you divide it into three sections. In my case that is about 41" from the floor.
my 1/3 is currently 40" - seems like i have a few inches of play available.

Mike, I think the fine-tuning may be dependent on the actual seating. How much natural recline there is, or however much "reclining angle" you like to use. My guess is "eye-balling" it and taking your best educated guess. :)

Man, if I was ever at your place, Im not sure if I would run to hug your kid first, or your subs first. :D

mike, you have just one row, yes?
yes, just one row - two seats :)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
mike, I will assume they are recliners. If so, fire up the pj with a full-screen 16:9 pic, in the dark.

When you are fully reclined, do your feet seem a bit too close to screen? Even if it clears the screen, does the silhouette seem like it might bother/distract a bit?

IMO, as long as you're fine on those points, you're good.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
mike, I will assume they are recliners. If so, fire up the pj with a full-screen 16:9 pic, in the dark.

When you are fully reclined, do your feet seem a bit too close to screen? Even if it clears the screen, does the silhouette seem like it might bother/distract a bit?

IMO, as long as you're fine on those points, you're good.
i'll check this out within next week, i've asked my bosses for a vacation next week. :)

you have point, my screen though just 22.5" off the ground is NEVER filled up by 16:9 content, there are always black bars on top and at the bottom.

N

newaudiofile

Audioholic
Hei Mike
I seem to be having a similar problem. My pj just arrived Panasonic PT-AX200E and i love it. its cool, huge, white and impressive.

Like you I'm trying to have a good location of the screen. i dont want to be tilting my head when watching a movie. But the vertical shift does not allow me to go as low as I want. The bottom of my screen is about 26" of the floor.

This means that i will have to tilt the pj itself and i really hate that. It losses its impressiveness when tilted ;). So I'm stack, looking for ideas.

Originally Posted by Rob Babcock
But everyone who ever watched a movie there loved and it and insisted they would hate to see it lower. Go figure
I hope you find a solution that is good for you.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
let's hope BMXTRIX sees this thread so he can help you.

but first:
how do you have your projector mounted? ceiling? on a shelf behind you?
distance of projector to the screen?

FYI, i did end up raising my screen so i could fit these two:

N

newaudiofile

Audioholic
let's hope BMXTRIX sees this thread so he can help you.

but first:
how do you have your projector mounted? ceiling? on a shelf behind you?
distance of projector to the screen?

FYI, i did end up raising my screen so i could fit these two:
The pj is ceiling mounted. I made a mount myself, and it is right on top of the sofa at my seating place.
Distance of pj to screen is about 153". Same for view distance.
Ceiling is 94.5" high

As at now I have mounted it about 20 degrees and I can even shoot half the image to the floor if I want. but like I said it hangs quite strange and I dont like the look.

So how high is your image from from the floor, and what is your viewing distance?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
eyeball to screen is 13 feet
bottom of screen is now 26.5"
the projector is on a rack that's about 19 feet from the screen (lens to screen)
height of the projector lens is around 72" from floor

it looks like you'll have to lower the projector if you want it horizontally aligned ... but then, doing so will make it very easy to block the projector when people stand up in front of it.

N

newaudiofile

Audioholic
eyeball to screen is 13 feet
bottom of screen is now 26.5"
the projector is on a rack that's about 19 feet from the screen (lens to screen)
height of the projector lens is around 72" from floor

it looks like you'll have to lower the projector if you want it horizontally aligned ... but then, doing so will make it very easy to block the projector when people stand up in front of it.
You are right that will be the only option if I want it horizontal. besides blocking the projector i think the heat coming from the vent will disturb me. The fan noise will also start to be noticable.

We are have the same viewing distance but your pj is much lower than mine so you dont have a problem with the vertical shift.

I think will go back to the horizontal style and see if I can get used to it. Do you think a full vertical shift will affect the pj in the long term or in anyway?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

When I did my research two and a half years age, CEDIA recommended 30 inches from the bottom of the screen to the floor. That has worked out perfectly. Everybody has found it very comfortable.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis