height of bottom of screen to floor

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
im sorry, i do not understand what you mean by "full vertical shift", can you elaborate?

When I did my research two and a half years age, CEDIA recommended 30 inches from the bottom of the screen to the floor. That has worked out perfectly. Everybody has found it very comfortable.
that's nice to know, but wouldn't it be dependent on the screen size - more specifically the screen height?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
im sorry, i do not understand what you mean by "full vertical shift", can you elaborate?

that's nice to know, but wouldn't it be dependent on the screen size - more specifically the screen height?
I may not be the best person the ask on video, but if the correct viewing distance screen size ratio is correct, then there is a constant relationship to vertical angle width and screen height. As I understand it for most home theater sized rooms the 30" from bottom of screen to floor works well in practice. I hear again and again, the common mistake is the screen too high.
I hope this helps.

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/Tv-viewing-distance.html

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There is not a fixed rule, there is only a general rule of how to setup your screen height to allow it to work. The myriad of different options has really already been discussed, but there is only one 'best way'.

That is, sit down, turn on your projector, shine it on your wall and see what feels most comfortable to you when you are actually sitting in the seats that will be in the room.

If that's not possible, then I generally recommend that the center of the screen lines up with your eyes when there is only one row of seating.

If there are two rows of seating you've got to get the screen high enough so that nobody has a view that is blocked by heads, so you will need several people to test things out, but I generally go somewhere between the two rows for screen placement height to center of screen.

Commercial theaters can work around some standards that are fixed, but home theater is a different story because you generally are sitting at floor level and getting the screen that low doesn't look natural. When you raise the screen though it really isn't like your average movie theater - because in a theater you always have many rows, some with seats near the top of the screen.

PROJECTOR NOISE & HEAT: Generally one of the best places for a projector is immediately above the viewers. This may sound 'wrong' but it isn't really. The noise from a projector is generally vented out the front or sides of the projector. Same with the heat. While the heat should always rise in the room, the noise will be directed away from the person sitting under it. So, lowering a projector a few inches is far better than moving a projector back several feet.

Do NOT tilt a projector if you can avoid it! Tilting a projector cuts into the resolution and forces a significant amount of additional video processing to make the image fit on screen properly. You lose sharpness, which is simply a bad thing. Lower a projector a few inches. Use the full offset if you have to. With a properly designed lens, which most major manufacturers utilize, you will have no visible drop in image quality by using the full rangs of motion that they make available to you.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Tiered seating

One other thing. Tiered seating really helps get a comfortable seating position for very body.

I raised the floor for my second row. If possible I strongly recommend doing that, and of course staggering the rows.

I have to say everybody has been very happy with this lay out. I think I had beginner's luck.

The thing I was most worried about was the sound in the second row, because the surrounds are just behind the first row, and just in front of the of the second. But acoustically everybody has a good seat, and I have to say that surprised me.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
You are right that will be the only option if I want it horizontal. besides blocking the projector i think the heat coming from the vent will disturb me. The fan noise will also start to be noticable.

We are have the same viewing distance but your pj is much lower than mine so you dont have a problem with the vertical shift.

I think will go back to the horizontal style and see if I can get used to it. Do you think a full vertical shift will affect the pj in the long term or in anyway?
Any shift at the extreme is undesired. It usually can give you less brightness, or so I've read. But, you have to do what you have to do. I have my PJ just a tad over and behind the second row. The UPS is located below the PJ. They both make a bit of noise; I just turn up the volume! :D

Just curious, is there any chance of having it in front of the viewers? On a table or something? It might give you more brightness (possibly too much) and of course it might again force an extreme shift. Well, it was a possibility I played around with, but the setup wouldn't allow a big enough screen.

The myriad of different options has really already been discussed, but there is only one 'best way'.

That is, sit down, turn on your projector, shine it on your wall and see what feels most comfortable to you when you are actually sitting in the seats that will be in the room.
+1 (but I do that a lot when BMXTRIX speaks). :cool:

I think I had beginner's luck.
Right... :rolleyes:

The thing I was most worried about was the sound in the second row, because the surrounds are just behind the first row, and just in front of the of the second. But acoustically everybody has a good seat, and I have to say that surprised me.
I have a similar type of compromise. How high are your surrounds, TLS? Mine are compromised in height as well. I do what I can... my speakers are also slightly toed in towards front row.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Any shift at the extreme is undesired. It usually can give you less brightness, or so I've read. But, you have to do what you have to do. I have my PJ just a tad over and behind the second row. The UPS is located below the PJ. They both make a bit of noise; I just turn up the volume! :D

Just curious, is there any chance of having it in front of the viewers? On a table or something? It might give you more brightness (possibly too much) and of course it might again force an extreme shift. Well, it was a possibility I played around with, but the setup wouldn't allow a big enough screen.

+1 (but I do that a lot when BMXTRIX speaks). :cool:

Right... :rolleyes:

I have a similar type of compromise. How high are your surrounds, TLS? Mine are compromised in height as well. I do what I can... my speakers are also slightly toed in towards front row.
There is one surround.

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/Tv-viewing-distance.html

You can just see the other upper left.

http://mdcarter.smugmug.com/gallery/2424008_RKGvb#127077020_WPosM-A-LB

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis