Want a phone that just works! Sick of iPhone/Apple useless crap in their effing updates!

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Gotta love all the Apple Hate. I definitely have my frustrations, but Apple does give you the popup now to block apps 3rd party apps tracking you, as for Apple itself, it's another issue.

As for Android, I use the OnePlus 12 (Unfortunately made in China) not sure how they get around the US on this. It's a clean version of android, similar to the Pixel, but has killer battery fast charging 0-100% in 35 minutes US. Android does the same things with tracking you, so I am not sure what you claim are the big advantages there. Same issues with updates, they tend to break more than fix.

I have a 14 Pro-Max, will be upgrading the 16 for my work phone. (They pay for phone and my Apple Watch Pro) If not for the Apple Watch, I probably would go 100% android. There watch is significantly better than anything else on the market. It also is a quick key to unlock my Macbook Pro M3 Max.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Interesting. Verizon keeps sending me offers for 5g phones, but doesn't have 5g service here :)
Call them or go to one near you and ask if your 4G phone will work on their system and take you as a customer. And what gives, no 5G where yu live?
Xfinity would not take me as customer with my 4G iPhone, wife yes with 5G, but not me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Call them or go to one near you and ask if your 4G phone will work on their system and take you as a customer. And what gives, no 5G where yu live?
Xfinity would not take me as customer with my 4G iPhone, wife yes with 5G, but not me.
Well my 4g works on their current tower, which apparently is limited to 4g so far (Verizon). Only good service available here. In the Cascade mountains in Oregon surrounded by Willamette Nat'l Forest. Outside of of town cell service is limited for a lot of miles in every direction. Still beats hell out of living in a city with 5g :)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Well my 4g works on their current tower, which apparently is limited to 4g so far (Verizon). Only good service available here. In the Cascade mountains in Oregon surrounded by Willamette Nat'l Forest. Outside of of town cell service is limited for a lot of miles in every direction. Still beats hell out of living in a city with 5g :)
Yes, 4G works with the 5G tech but some, Xfinity, doesn't want new customers with 4G phones. I had a 4G in Ting for a number of years and renewed me when they switched to 5G but most likely would not have taken me in as a new customer. They don't want to have 2 systems and maintain it although they ride on T-Mobil.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, 4G works with the 5G tech but some, Xfinity, doesn't want new customers with 4G phones. I had a 4G in Ting for a number of years and renewed me when they switched to 5G but most likely would not have taken me in as a new customer. They don't want to have 2 systems and maintain it although they ride on T-Mobil.
Ting is a mobile service provider?

highfigh

highfigh

This is not quite a KMA, but the DOJ sued Apple earlier this year for antitrust violations, which may provide some satisfaction (I doubt it will seriously hinder Apple's efforts to track everything 24-7, however).

>>>“I am quite glad that access to SMS messages is restricted,” said Strafach, creator of the Guardian Firewall app.

He notes that a number of apps, ostensibly for weather and news, on iPhones have secretly and persistently sent users’ GPS data to third parties. Strafach said he is concerned weakened Apple security “could open the door to stalkerware/spouseware, which is already more difficult to install on Apple devices compared to Android.”

However, prominent critic Cory Doctorow has complained that while Apple has blocked entities like Facebook from spying on its users it runs its “own surveillance advertising empire” that gathers the same kinds of personal data but for its own use.

“Apple has a history of clandestine deals with surveillance giants like Google, and (CEO) Tim Cook gave Uber a slap on the wrist instead of an app store ban when (the ride-sharing company) built a backdoor to spy on iPhone users who had already deleted Uber’s app,” noted Sean O’Brien, founder of Yale’s Privacy Lab.<<<

OK, the DOJ sues and fines Apple, but that's not a class-action lawsuit that helps consumers and even if it was, the settlements rarely amount to enough that it's worth the bother for people to join. As the saying goes, "The only ones who win in a class-action lawsuit is the lawyers".

highfigh

highfigh

some weeks ago, I was caught by my partner cheating , He took records of the whole incident and threatened to expose it on the internet. I was so scared and didn't want to be exposed so I researched for an hacker and i was referred to Remote Spy hacker as the best, I'm so happy he saved me the embarrasement my ex was planning to put me through by deleting all the pictures and videos he took on his phone. If your in need of a professional hacker contact [ SPYRECOVERY36 @ gm ail . c om ].
Start your own effing thread.

highfigh

highfigh

That's plain wrong. The only real difference is how Apple vs Others share their security information. Companies like Microsoft for instance are forthright letting people and companies know when there's a vulnerability risk or when one is found and when a fix is coming. Apple likes to keep a tight lid on it. They are both being hacked and trying to stay ahead of the hackers as we speak.

While I'll give Apple a thumbs up on how they present their products. They do produce pretty products. The internal designs, software, and reliability aren't any better than other companies. The Apple army believes way too many myths.
You say it's wrong, then post comments that agrees with it.

I don't give a rat's ass about how they present their crap- read the original post for some of my main complaints that have nothing to do with marketing and prettiness. Your last sentence is a large part of my dislike for Apple.

Then, there's their crappy AirPort network hardware that they got people to buy for years, then discontinued. It was OK if someone had very simple needs but their customers were buying the Express and putting them around the house and calling people who work with networking to fix it. It couldn't be fixed and just after they announced the discontinuation of development and support, I was told by AppleCare that Apple doesn't recommend or support more than two Apple network devices on the same network. I then asked why they never mentioned that in more than ten years of trouble calls form myself and many others in the field. Crickets.

highfigh

highfigh

While I won't question security, internal designs, or reliability, there is one objective criterion by which Apple is one or even two generations ahead of everyone else, and that's its SOC or Processor. Just look at any cross-platform benchmark. This wouldn't be the case if Qualcomm bothered to do anything to improve ARM designs instead of cheaping out and doing the bare minimum to implement them as is.

iPhones are more power efficient with the power and need smaller batteries - not that savings are ever passed on to customers.

Also, having a walled garden and tighter control on apps, which limits consumer choices In some aspects, it does provide better software curation, allowing fewer malicious apps to get through. Again, this is not speculation but a fact. Just browse just the Ars Technica on removed malicious apps from Google Play. There are dozens of such cases.
Mine still kills the battery quickly and it's not terribly old- when I check battery health, it shows high 80% range.

But again, I don't care about that- I don't want the crap they shove down our throats WRT update content.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
You say it's wrong, then post comments that agrees with it.
If apple isn't transparent, and this IS their policy, you won't believe me anyway. All I can say is mobile phones aren't allowed in the buildings I work in across the nation because of a security breach that occured.

You can report issues on the apple site. You will also find this on every update. Again, on their site:

For our customers' protection, Apple doesn't disclose, discuss, or confirm security issues until an investigation has occurred and patches or releases are available.

With this level of disclosure on every update:

A malicious application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges
or
An attacker may be able to access user data

Every single one says, "may be able to" and has this level of detail. Not very enlightening. What application(s)? How are are they getting in my system to atack it? Why didn't you let us know where the vulnerability while you were working on the update? Any explanation like this wouldn't clearly point to what I'm referencing. I'm also sure the apple army will say they're just being proactive. Just like I read in their responces to any article or anybody posting an iphone was hacked. You really must be naive to believe iphones aren't being hacked.

Companies like Microsoft take the opposite stance and disclose information. In my office I have recieved messages from IT saying MS let us know of a vulnerability and you have to install this patch immediately. We could argue which is best policy, I obviously have my bias, but that's not the point.

Edit: to be clear on one thing, and I've used both systems, from a end user perspective they are more the same than different.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Ting is a mobile service provider?
Similar to Consumer Cellular. Buy space on T-Mobile.
I/we like the price as we don't use much data as we have wi-fi mostly. $10 per phone and $5 per gig shared, flex plan. They have other offerings as well that may not be as cheap as some others. Depends on data usage, consistently.
Yes, we do go over at times.

highfigh

highfigh

If apple isn't transparent, and this IS their policy, you won't believe me anyway. All I can say is mobile phones aren't allowed in the buildings I work in across the nation because of a security breach that occured.

You can report issues on the apple site. You will also find this on every update. Again, on their site:

For our customers' protection, Apple doesn't disclose, discuss, or confirm security issues until an investigation has occurred and patches or releases are available.

With this level of disclosure on every update:

A malicious application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges
or
An attacker may be able to access user data

Every single one says, "may be able to" and has this level of detail. Not very enlightening. What application(s)? How are are they getting in my system to atack it? Why didn't you let us know where the vulnerability while you were working on the update? Any explanation like this wouldn't clearly point to what I'm referencing. I'm also sure the apple army will say they're just being proactive. Just like I read in their responces to any article or anybody posting an iphone was hacked. You really must be naive to believe iphones aren't being hacked.

Companies like Microsoft take the opposite stance and disclose information. In my office I have recieved messages from IT saying MS let us know of a vulnerability and you have to install this patch immediately. We could argue which is best policy, I obviously have my bias, but that's not the point.

Edit: to be clear on one thing, and I've used both systems, from a end user perspective they are more the same than different.
And again, my anger isn't about the security fixes, aside from them not being able to release an update without needing another update to fix the previous one(s). It's about the shyte they include that can't be deleted or opted out of. I, and I believe most, don't want to waste time deleting and turning off the stuff they messed with in the update. Someone mentioned BT being turned on- mine turns on frequently and when it connects to the BT receiver in my van or garage, the audio turns off where I want to use it.

I'm naive? BS! I KNOW they're being hacked. Show what I have posted that indicates that level of ignorance? Just about everything is hacked, at some point. Some things are hacked constantly. Maybe not when it's in a local network but as soon as it's connected to the internet, it's at risk.

They're operated similarly, but I keep hearing that Android and other non-Apple phones don't receive the same kinds of updates.

The first line of this thread is "I am absolutely fed up with Apple forcing updates that include useless crap that I don't need, want or care about and anything that might involve security or performance is shown at the bottom of the update info as an afterthought." Security issues should be at the top, not some crap about emojis.

highfigh

highfigh

Similar to Consumer Cellular. Buy space on T-Mobile.
I/we like the price as we don't use much data as we have wi-fi mostly. $10 per phone and $5 per gig shared, flex plan. They have other offerings as well that may not be as cheap as some others. Depends on data usage, consistently.
Yes, we do go over at times.
I used Consumer Cellular for several years, but had frequent problems making calls- the screen had a green button with Try Again in the lower right, a gray circle with an X and at the top, it showed 'Call Failed. The only way I could make a call was by power cycling the phone. I switched to Spectrum because it's free for a year and they use the Verizon system, but a friend said the sound of my phone has been messed up since I switched- said it sounds like I'm at the far end of a culvert, which is the same sound I used to hear when people were using a particular system I can't remember (20-ish years ago) and I was using ATT. A friend knows people who used Consumer Cellular in Central Missouri where the terrain is very uneven and they had lots of problems.

I get unlimited talk & text plus 50GB of data- with Consumer Cellular, I paid for 10GB and had a hard time using that, even though I stream Pandora when I drive unless I'm on a call. I just did a speed test using the cellular network and it was 289Mbps down, 12Mbps up- that's far faster than I ever saw with Consumer Cellular and I live less than a mile from an ATT tower. Signal strength has been better with Spectrum, too. .

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Android does the same things with tracking you,
Yep they sure do, your apps are tracking you on all phone software. . Heck all smartphones do according to Hacker News. And even all phones ping cell towers for things like time updates (even without a SIM card ).

highfigh

highfigh

Yep they sure do, your apps are tracking you on all phone software. . Heck all smartphones do according to Hacker News. And even all phones ping cell towers for things like time updates (even without a SIM card ).
Cell phones can't use the system if they don't have a physical SIM or eSIM- pings in both directions are part of the system, by design. It's also the way cell phones are tracked by law enforcement- the system 'asks' if a specific ESN (Electronic Serial Number) is out there and if it doesn't find it in the first towers, it repeats the request in the next layer until the phone responds. The ESN is unique, the same way a MAC address is unique.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Cell phones can't use the system if they don't have a physical SIM or eSIM- pings in both directions are part of the system, by design. It's also the way cell phones are tracked by law enforcement- the system 'asks' if a specific ESN (Electronic Serial Number) is out there and if it doesn't find it in the first towers, it repeats the request in the next layer until the phone responds. The ESN is unique, the same way a MAC address is unique.
voice and date yes accessing a tower but !, wifi is different. Just like my old ipad I can access the internet via wifi and my ipad doesn't have a sim card, but zero cellular access.
"Users of modern smartphones can stay connected without a physical SIM card as long as there is access to the internet. In most cases, you need a Wi-Fi connection for regular communication using a phone without a SIM card. , you only need a sim if you are using voice/data, but not wifi. "

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I'm naive? BS! I KNOW they're being hacked. Show what I have posted that indicates that level of ignorance? Just about everything is hacked, at some point. Some things are hacked constantly. Maybe not when it's in a local network but as soon as it's connected to the internet, it's at risk.

The first line of this thread is "I am absolutely fed up with Apple forcing updates that include useless crap that I don't need, want or care about and anything that might involve security or performance is shown at the bottom of the update info as an afterthought." Security issues should be at the top, not some crap about emojis.
??? You asked me to back my statement up and I did.

The naive comment was figuratively and sarcastically. I'd think you've been around here long enough to have tougher skin. Moreover, to also know there's hardly a thread on this site that 100% sticks to the OP question. Do you think you get special consideration because it's you? WTF!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Most correct, Except for 911 service which WILL connect from any mobile phone regardless of make/model/sim or esim presence. As long as the phone was officially sold in the USA (made for the USA market)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis