jinjuku

jinjuku

It is broken when gerrymandering is allowed .
Ok. I'll remember that when the shoes on the other foot. Is it just gerrymandering or is it only republican gerrymandering? If it's just gerrymandering then it's been broken, by both parties, for quite the while.

jinjuku

jinjuku

People seem to forget that the numbers of people who voted in the recent Iowa cacuses are low by previous Iowa cacus numbers, and tiny by any November election numbers.

"The 110,000 voters who participated in the 2024 Iowa cacuses accounts for just under 15% of the state's 752,000 registered Republicans."

"In 2016, Republicans set a new record for turnout at the caucuses, with almost 187,000 GOP voters. Though the total made up only about a third of all registered Republicans, turnout at the 2016 caucuses greatly outnumbered the 2012 contest, which had about 122,000 voters. And in 2008, the turnout was similar, with 120,000 voters, making the 2024 Iowa caucuses turnout the lowest in more than a decade."
Sounds like good news if this can be extrapolated.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I don't really care as same loud mouth Trump and is getting to be old news. "Lock Him Up," and throw away the key. He is the most unkind and noncaring person on this planet.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Lol. I don't even know how to respond to this intellectual laziness.
You could have tried answering the question. Instead, you picked up your copy of "Debating Insults For Dummies" and randomly picked "intellectual laziness".

Oh, the irony.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Ok. I'll remember that when the shoes on the other foot. Is it just gerrymandering or is it only republican gerrymandering? If it's just gerrymandering then it's been broken, by both parties, for quite the while.
Yep, both. Still needs fixing.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

The electoral college is part of the vote. A straight vote means that the country goes as the big cities go.
But isn't this about the people electing regardless of where they live?
Back in the very old days, landowners were worried about the majority of others getting their way, so elector college was put in place.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I'll tell you one thing, if Trump gets re-elected , Dems had better look in the mirror, for there are plenty of Independent voters like myself that , while we won't vote for Trump, we will also NOT be voting for Biden again !

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I don't really care as same loud mouth Trump and is getting to be old news. "Lock Him Up," and throw away the key. He is the most unkind and noncaring person on this planet.
Well, he is close to be number 1. but so far he has not locked up his competitors the last go around, or pushed them out the upper floors. ;)
But, it could change if he is immune. :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I'll tell you one thing, if Trump gets re-elected , Dems had better look in the mirror, for there are plenty of Independent voters like myself that , while we won't vote for Trump, we will also NOT be voting for Biden again !
Wouldn't that be a vote for the other guy though? It will not help eliminating the other guy, unless he gets way less votes; huge gamble.

jinjuku

jinjuku

You could have tried answering the question. Instead, you picked up your copy of "Debating Insults For Dummies" and randomly picked "intellectual laziness".

Oh, the irony.
Yep, because lets say we are in the Ukraine thread talking about the war and all the sudden I have to, out of the blue, explain to simpletons that we aren't talking about Portugal?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Wouldn't that be a vote for the other guy though? It will not help eliminating the other guy, unless he gets way less votes; huge gamble.
My statement is pretty obvious, I, along with many others don't want either of those two 'pecker heads'. So, if you Dems can't come up with something better than Biden(shouldn't really be too difficult) and Trump is the Pub nominee(I won't be voting for him obviously in the primary) then it's third party/write in vote time for me.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

My statement is pretty obvious, I, along with many others don't want either of those two 'pecker heads'. So, if you Dems can't come up with something better than Biden(shouldn't really be too difficult) and Trump is the Pub nominee(I won't be voting for him obviously in the primary) then it's third party/write in vote time for me.
Your response was obvious. I commented as another poster has not long ago, don't remember who, when or which thread the consequences of such a view.
Yes, understand you don't like either. Chances of a better candidate jumping in at this stage that would be supported by enough voter to vin is remote.
The last time a 3rd party person received a good number of votes in the November balloting was Ross Perot, 1992 I believe, who was in it from the beginning, not an afterthought.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
only if people actually get out and vote instead of talking a good game on a Forum or a at some bar.
The Australian compulsory voting system is pretty good...

Starts with an independent electoral body that runs the elections and is funded to ensure local easy to access voting facilities are universal...

And goes through to the electoral body following up with "please explain" and / or fines for those who do not vote.

It makes voting easy, through ready access everywhere except the very most remote areas, it keeps waiting lines at voting venues reasonable (under 1hr is typical on peak times/days) - and early voting (typically 2 weeks) as well as mail-in voting is also available for people who may be travelling, working or otherwise unable to vote on the election day.

Typically, in australia, those who do not vote, do so intentionally, as a statement, and cop the $50 fine associated... but most of those who want to protest, send in a formal "donkey" vote, which means they send in (or turn up) their vote, and get marked off the electoral roll as "having voted" but put in a dummy/invalid or blank vote.

This combined with a preferential voting system (ie: rather than 1st past the post... you can allocate an exhausted vote to a secondary, third, fourth etc... preference, and the ballot counts then work down, as contenders on the ballot paper get knocked out of contention, the votes are then re-allocated per the individuals preferences to contenders who have not yet been knocked out - process continues until it is down to 2 contenders and the total counted)
This allows for votes for preferred parties/individuals where they are unlikely to get up, but where the vote is an important statement of support (primary votes also factor into electoral funding in subsequent elections for parties... so they have additional importance) - followed by strategic secondary voting preferences, to ensure that your subsequent electoral preferences are applied. - this also allows the voter to decide when and if their vote is exhausted, and not applied to anyone.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Didn't think about a son VP. Boy, what an interesting election year.
I do think he's gunning to stay in office until he drops, and if that doesn't work he'll try to install a puppet he can control (i.e. doing it Putin style).

I'm going to vote for the person that has the best odds of beating the orange freak. I don't care who it is. I'm not proud of that, but that's what it comes down to for me.

Four years of something I disagree with is better than losing the choice to vote in the future.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@Mr._Clark is the use of incompetent lawyers who don't seem to even be able to follow normal trial protocols, somehow an legal out for appeals or some other mechanism?

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
@Mr._Clark is the use of incompetent lawyers who don't seem to even be able to follow normal trial protocols, somehow an legal out for appeals or some other mechanism?
In theory it might be possible in a criminal case, but it's hard to imagine Trump winning (avoiding criminal liability) on this basis in any real world scenario. Courts are skeptical of these arguments because overturning convictions on this basis has the potential to create an incentive for lawyers to sprinkle the case with some incompetence as an "out" in case the jury convicts. The defendant would keep getting new trials until there's a jury that acquits him.

In a botched civil case, Trump could sue the incompetent attorney for malpractice to avoid paying the lawyer and to get reimbursement from his lawyer for the money he paid the plaintiff (the plaintiff would keep the civil award). In theory it might be possible to set aside a civil judgement if it was due to something extremely egregious (e.g. the lawyer failed to file a response or show up in court, leading to a default judgement). As a practical matter, trying to erase a civil judgement based on a lawyer's incompetence would be a moon shot.

If he loses in a criminal case, he could sue his layers for malpractice, but it would be a long shot. Even if he won the malpractice action, it would just mean he could collect money from his lawyers (the malpractice action would not change the outcome in the criminal case).

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis