cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Solar installed.
That might work in some states, but in Fla depending on the type of roof you have some insurance compaines will not insure a roof if solar is installed on tile roofs. To many leaks and roof damage. Always a catch.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That might work in some states, but in Fla depending on the type of roof you have some insurance compaines will not insure a roof if solar is installed on tile roofs. To many leaks and roof damage. Always a catch.
I didn’t suggest I have all the answers! ;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Did the amount of time of charging vs. filling up a tank come into play?

That'd be the main drawback for me owning an EV.

Now if we could do a battery swap type program like they have in other countries, that'd be awesome. Not possible in cars yet, but they do it with bikes and scooters. Almost zero down time.
That is expected to come later. Only one company, Nio, is doing it in China, Norway, Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, and Denmark only so far. Other companies are licensing it from them, but it will be years before this could become mainstream.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

That'd be the main drawback for me owning an EV.

Now if we could do a battery swap type program like they have in other countries, that'd be awesome. Not possible in cars yet, but they do it with bikes and scooters. Almost zero down time.
That’s a great question that I didn’t consider. There are a few dealbreakers for me and EV, but I’m interested in how this will play out.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I had previously heard that Fast DC chargers bill by the minute and not the amount of juice. However, when I charged up on the road, it was my understanding that I was billed by the kWh, not by time. That was with Electrify America, 8 or 9 times, in New Jersey, New York, Maryland, Virginia, & North Carolina. I guess that makes me the expert ;). It might be different with other brands of Fast DC, or other states.

I recently got an email from Electrify America announcing new billing rates. Instead of the fixed rates of 48¢/kWh (with no monthly fee), or 36¢/kWh (with $4/month fee), their new rates will vary by state and local electricity rates. And, they will begin to bill people who leave their car occupying a charging spot more than 10 minutes after their charge up is done.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Here's what Electrify America said in their email:
Electrify America is reaching out to make you aware of pricing changes that will soon be taking place.

Beginning August 17, 2023, we’ll shift from uniform energy or time based pricing nationwide to a station-specific pricing model and resume charging for idle fees at most nationwide charging stations. Electrify America's mobile app will have pricing information for a given charger, but you should check the pricing of a charging station at the charger when you start charging.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Here's what Electrify America said in their email:

I can see it now in the future, as the years move on and on and more people go EV, the cost to charge your EV will meet what we used to pay in 2023 for gas as power companies and EV stations get into the game to make those big big charge the EV bucks. I say give it time. We used to pay what .36 cents for a gallon of gas in 1970. ;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
In the 70s gas was still leaded ;) OPEC was just realizing they could basically hold oil hostage too. I already said it earlier in this thread: It is just a matter of time before electricity conglomerates become the new oil.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
In the 70s gas was still leaded ;) OPEC was just realizing they could basically hold oil hostage too. I already said it earlier in this thread: It is just a matter of time before electricity conglomerates become the new oil.
I believe it will rather be nuclear energy that will be the new oil. What will be used to produce more electricity? It won't be hydro-dams neither hydrogen. Solar energy might be able to compete with the radioactive stuff?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Texas is the largest producer of wind electricity, ironically. Solar seems like a supplement to reduce dependencies on the grid, but advances are being made there. New solar panels are cheaper and far more efficient. Grids will be supported by battery farms now, storing it and using it during peak demand. Every home will have a battery, solar and a small clean generator of some type. Perhaps there won't be a "grid".

Even with advances, nobody is going to approve nuclear these days. Nuclear will be supplemental unless some new process is developed (Oppenheimer lol). Chernobyl much? 20,000 years before it can be possibly inhabited. 4500 before you can visit it and you might still die.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
For home heating and cooling and with this warming planet, the heat pump is the best way at present. In Canada, governments are subsidizing some home owners to convert to this air conditioning system.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
For home heating and cooling and with this warming planet, the heat pump is the best way at present. In Canada, governments are subsidizing some home owners to convert to this air conditioning system.
IN the US, most homes in the southern states these have been installing heat pumps since the 1970's depending on where you live . These days its the SEER2 rating and tonnage to match the heat and cooling requirement. SEER is the ratio of the cooling output of an air conditioner over a typical cooling season. Higher the SEERs rating the more efficient the unit is, but anything theses days over SEER2-13 is good with a 21 more efficient

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Even with advances, nobody is going to approve nuclear these days. Nuclear will be supplemental unless some new process is developed (Oppenheimer lol). Chernobyl much? 20,000 years before it can be possibly inhabited. 4500 before you can visit it and you might still die.
Chernobyl was the (thankfully) rare example of a reactor failure. The biggest problem the nuclear power industry faces is not reactor meltdown, but the result of properly working reactors. How do you store the highly radioactive spent reactor fuel? That problem is both political and technical, without a solution in sight. After the 1980s, that was the reason why no new nuclear reactors were built in the USA.

Just maybe, the renewed interest in nuclear power as a power source that doesn't produce carbon dioxide, will lead to discovering new answers to that problem.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Chernobyl was the (thankfully) rare example of a reactor failure. The biggest problem the nuclear power industry faces is not reactor meltdown, but the result of properly working reactors. How do you store the highly radioactive spent reactor fuel? That problem is both political and technical, without a solution in sight. After the 1980s, that was the reason why no new nuclear reactors were built in the USA.

Just maybe, the renewed interest in nuclear power as a power source that doesn't produce carbon dioxide, will lead to discovering new answers to that problem.

The newest commercial reactor just came on line less than 2 weeks ago in Georgia.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
After the 1980s, that was the reason why no new nuclear reactors were built in the USA.

Almost accurate regarding building nuke plants.,
There hasn't been a new nuke plant built in over 30 year from scratch, until now. Plant Vogtle, 1st US nuclear reactor built from scratch in decades, enters commercial operation in Georgia at a huge $17 billion and seven years late. .

Maybe it will not cost a fortune to operate.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis