Who is going to purchase the new Avatar flick in 4K when it comes out?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Saw this this afternoon (3d in a mini Imax theater). The visuals are just amazing. The sound for the move fortunately wasn't played as loud as the f*cking previews and theater chain ads, where everyone was loudly complaining. I still think it was a tad hot....I pulled out my phone during mostly vocals in ads/previews and was getting like 10dB hot. Sucked. I think I'll drop a line to Regal about it, it was that annoying. The plot for this (and the obvious openings for Avatar 3), not nearly as good as simply the action. The preachy stuff was what it was (not that I disagree that James shouldn't take a poke at the mess).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, and glad I saw that at the theater, my 3d setup isn't too bad in my bedroom (with a relatively short distance to screen compared to my living room), but this was just better with even the mini-imax sized screen (pretty much a normal mall theater screen size in their "main theater").

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
And 2d will be an improvement? :)
Maybe? I don’t know, I just wasn’t blown away by the 3d presentation overall. Some of it was definitely very good, but as a whole I didn’t really love it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe? I don’t know, I just wasn’t blown away by the 3d presentation overall. Some of it was definitely very good, but as a whole I didn’t really love it.
I haven't seen it outside of 3d, but did enjoy that aspect quite a bit (other than the usual wearing the glasses). Since its a major part of the film production I'd just prefer to use it and still have gear for it.....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It didn’t help that there were so many ways to see it. And, it doesn’t help that not all theaters are created equally. I suffered through 48fps in 3-D with “The Hobbit.” I wasn’t doing it again.

Blu-ray supports 3-D at 24fps. 4K/UHD Blu-ray does not support 3-D at all. The 2D and 3D 1080p blu-rays of “Avatar:The Way of Water” do not have a Dolby Atmos tracks.

As far as aspect ratio goes, the 4K/UHD release of “Avatar” will be open matte 1.78:1 like the blu-ray of so many years ago. It will have a Dolby Atmos track but no Dolby Vision.

The “Avatar: The Way of Water” 4K/UHD release will be 1.85:1 so no 2.39:1 aspect ratio or 1.78:1 open matte. Same for Dolby Atmos but no Dolby Vision.

So, the home release is about as big a mess as the theatrical release. Anybody who saw the high fame rate 3-D version in theaters simply will not be able to view it that way at home. Those with Dolby Vision or HDR10+ capability will have to settle for HDR10.

Like Cameron movies of the past, expect different versions to come out periodically. I’ll be streaming this f#%ker on Disney+. I think I covered its production costs with all of the different versions of T2 I purchased over the years. I’m not going down that road again.

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
That's For sure! I am with you. Not wasting my $$$. I do have the first edition copy, and not the experience you get in the theatre.
Experiences in movie theatres is, in my experience, greatly overrated. A major letdown is the public that can't keep their mouths shut. I've only been at movie theatres a handful of times the last two decades, and it's over a decade since last time I went there.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
While we wait for the discs, Disney+ has both Avatar movies available now and managed to botch Dolby Atmos on both titles as neither movie outputs in Dolby Atmos on the three different streaming devices I used to try them out.:confused:

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
While we wait for the discs, Disney+ has both Avatar movies available now and managed to botch Dolby Atmos on both titles as neither movie outputs in Dolby Atmos on the three different streaming devices I used to try them out.:confused:
It says Dolby Atmos on my 2015 AVR playing using Apple TV 2022.

On the other hand I just have a 5.1 setup…..

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Ok, working now. Yeah, Apple TV 4K had Dolby Atmos label but didn’t work. Fire Cube and Roku Ultra had 5.1 label. Now, all have Dolby Atmos label and work.

First movie was HD 5.1 until today and is now in 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos like The Way of Water. First movie is full screen 1.78: 1 and second is supposed to be 1.85:1 which looks identical to 1.90:1 Marvel IMAX aspect ratio movies.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I ordered the 4k/BluRay version today off of Amazon. Hopefully the soundtrack production on this disc will be good. I dont need 3D version as none of my displays support it. Besides looking thru cheesy plastic lenses seems to take away some of the detail.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis