Sony 2023 ES Receiver lineup

B

Banditt77

Audiophyte
Does anyone know if the Sony offers a phantom center channel calibration?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Now it's your chance to ask Sony questions about their new 2023 AV receivers during our livestream event on March 27th at 8pm EST.

Well, that was like watching the Titanic sink. I wouldn’t let that f#%ker utter the day’s specials at a greasy spoon. Of course, you can’t really answer the hard questions when nobody is asking them. That’s what I get for sitting down to dinner and missing it Live. :confused:

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Spent some time this morning and afternoon with Sony via Live Chat and a phone call. It’s hard to get a straight answer out of those people. Each time, they stopped short of confirming my suspicions. Slippery bunch. I did do my best and you can take the info I did get with a grain of salt.

First, according to the CSR I spoke with this afternoon, the #5, #6 and #7 ports are “limited” but I couldn’t get a spec out of em’.

Second, they said the manuals are accurate regarding specs. I asked if perhaps some info was taken from another model mistakenly. They were confident they were correct.

Lastly, they volunteered the information that the rollout of the STR-AZ7000ES has been less than perfect and they have received several calls regarding issues with the control system.

Anyway, that’s that. I’m gonna’ bury this bone in the backyard and start gnawing on a new one. Onkyo just released info on the RZ70. I wouldn’t even wipe my ass with that useless product sheet and flawed manual.:mad:

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
Anyway, that’s that. I’m gonna’ bury this bone in the backyard and start gnawing on a new one. Onkyo just released info on the RZ70. I wouldn’t even wipe my ass with that useless product sheet and flawed manual.:mad:
Yes, I looked at those, and they look like marketing fluff... pre-release stuff you put out, while drafting the real ones.

I HOPE they are drafting the real ones....

And there are some questions about the amp differences between the RZ70 and the 805/8.4... the heatsinks are different, and the power rating quoted is 140W as opposed to 150W quoted for the Pio and Integra... I would be very surprised if there were differences to the power supply or power amps... but who knows!?

Late edit: - the Specs in the manual seem complete - the ones in the "spec sheet" are skimpy. although there are parts of the manual that look rushed eg: speaker config examples only include single sub setups, even though it is a 7.2.4 AVR, and with optional DLBC, clearly intended to target those with dual subs. Chances are there will be updates.

Last edited:
O

orbeavhawk

Audiophyte
THANKS Gene for the interesting/informative show with the Sony Rep....much appreciated!

G

gbaby

Enthusiast
All this new Sony stuff is pure crap. I wish Audioholics were honest enough to tell the objective truth, but they have shown themselves by this article to be caught up in the matrix.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
All this new Sony stuff is pure crap.
How come?

In Direct mode, I would expect Sony ES AVR to sound like any other AVR/AVP in Direct mode.

Have you auditioned their Room Correction?

Sony ES and Yamaha Avantage offer 5YR warranty. I love the Yamaha customer support. Also absolutely love the Yamaha WiFi remote app.

Have you dealt with the Sony customer support?

G

gbaby

Enthusiast
All this new Sony stuff is pure crap. I wish Audioholics were honest enough to tell the objective truth, but they have shown themselves by this article to be caught up in the matrix.
I've owned Sony products since the '70s with my first purchase being a Trinitron. I've also owned numerous ES receivers as well as ES preamps. They all share one trait, a somewhat steely sound. Features are meaningless, even room correction. You cannot correct a room. Anytime you use room correction to take the amp section out of spec. Years ago, I purchased a Bryson SP3 which ended my need to upgrade. The flatter the sound, the better.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I've owned Sony products since the '70s with my first purchase being a Trinitron. I've also owned numerous ES receivers as well as ES preamps. They all share one trait, a somewhat steely sound. Features are meaningless, even room correction. You cannot correct a room. Anytime you use room correction to take the amp section out of spec. Years ago, I purchased a Bryson SP3 which ended my need to upgrade. The flatter the sound, the better.
While we do have some members that prefer not use room correction, you are using the term too literally. Room treatments can help correct a room but room correction software adjusts the audio signal to make up for room abnormalities (in the acoustic sense) and in some instances can work very well. If you have a room of proper dimensions dedicated to home theatre some added room correction can help a good deal particularly in the lower frequencies where room modes occur. If you have an open concept living room and kitchen, room correction might help in the main seating location but will be a compromise at best throughout the rest of the space. Having a good room to work with naturally eases any requirement for treatments or processing.

Taking the amp out of spec makes no sense. The pre-amp and amp sections are basically separate. DSP including room correction occurs in the pre-amp. It simply adjusts the signal being fed to the amp like treble and bass controls. The amp does not care either way whether the signal is pure or altered any more than it would care whether you feed it classical or heavy metal. The job of the amp is the same in either case.

A flat response is always the easiest place to start from. A listener can then make minor tweaks to their taste. If you owned gear in the '70s then you have probably read about the BBC dip, so flat does not necessarily appeal the most to everyone, but if the response is all over the map then it gets nigh impossible to get a good final result. Otherwise we could all just use 20 band EQs or parametric EQs with cheap speakers and be happy.

G

gbaby

Enthusiast
When I said "taking the amp out of spec" I mean that if an amp is rated 100 watts per channel from 20Hz to 20kHz +or minus 3db, and you start boosting certain frequencies you are taking an amp out of spec. I sold high end equipment during college. I have owned numerous equalizers over the years and I never heard one that made music sound better. In fact, music always sounded better when I removed the equalizers. I remember Odyssey was the thing and it kept being improved but its still not right. But then again, I never embraced Atmos either because I feel music and sound is more accurate in the horizontal plane not the vertical plane. Since I purchased my Bryston SP3, I don't even think about an upgrade.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
When I said "taking the amp out of spec" I mean that if an amp is rated 100 watts per channel from 20Hz to 20kHz +or minus 3db, and you start boosting certain frequencies you are taking an amp out of spec. I sold high end equipment during college. I have owned numerous equalizers over the years and I never heard one that made music sound better. In fact, music always sounded better when I removed the equalizers. I remember Odyssey was the thing and it kept being improved but its still not right. But then again, I never embraced Atmos either because I feel music and sound is more accurate in the horizontal plane not the vertical plane. Since I purchased my Bryston SP3, I don't even think about an upgrade.
The Dolby spec does specify surrounds and rears to be in the horizontal plane but you might change your mind if you had the chance to hear a properly calibrated system with proper speaker placement. ATMOS is mostly for overhead effects any way so there is generally not a lot of content in those channels unless you are watching recent modern films or listening to spacial audio. I would love to hear a cathedral recording on such a system though. You can't get that sense of space with 2-channel audio but there are BBC streams that reportedly sound fabulous in full surround.

G

gbaby

Enthusiast
I have heard a properly calibrated Atmos system totaling a little more than 100k. I was not impressed as I found the sound inaccurate to the point of being gimmicky. In real life, I never hear object based not even when helicopters fly over my home. You don't hear helicopters above your ceiling but the sound is omnipresent, I have proper speaker placement with my system and I am totally fine. I'm more into fidelity rather than codecs.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The Dolby spec does specify surrounds and rears to be in the horizontal plane but you might change your mind if you had the chance to hear a properly calibrated system with proper speaker placement. ATMOS is mostly for overhead effects any way so there is generally not a lot of content in those channels unless you are watching recent modern films or listening to spacial audio. I would love to hear a cathedral recording on such a system though. You can't get that sense of space with 2-channel audio but there are BBC streams that reportedly sound fabulous in full surround.
Just for the record. Atmos is much more than “mostly overhead effects”. The real idea is placing sounds in 3d space on XYZ axes. Obviously some soundtracks are better than others, but when it’s done well, you can literally have sounds IN the room. The album “point” by Yello has some sounds that are right next to your head. Like when I listen to some songs it’s like water dripping on my neck. Very very eerie. Sometimes it’s more like just in the height layer, but again, not all Atmos is created equal. My system is 7.3.4 and IME, Atmos has overall been great.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I have heard a properly calibrated Atmos system totaling a little more than 100k. I was not impressed as I found the sound inaccurate to the point of being gimmicky. In real life, I never hear object based not even when helicopters fly over my home. You don't hear helicopters above your ceiling but the sound is omnipresent, I have proper speaker placement with my system and I am totally fine. I'm more into fidelity rather than codecs.
Not criticizing your setup; Bryston makes some great kit. Did you go with Bryston amps as well? They made mostly pro gear when I was younger but it's nice to see a Canadian company stay successful for so long.

Those ultra expensive systems can be gimmicky. There are plenty of overpriced speaker manufacturers out there where owning a pair is more about bragging rights than fidelity. I would be more inclined to want to hear some of the RBH based systems that forum members have, like Gene's latest setup, or TLS_Guy's custom solution. Those are based on sound design principles and quality gear.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not criticizing your setup; Bryston makes some great kit. Did you go with Bryston amps as well? They made mostly pro gear when I was younger but it's nice to see a Canadian company stay successful for so long.

Those ultra expensive systems can be gimmicky. There are plenty of overpriced speaker manufacturers out there where owning a pair is more about bragging rights than fidelity. I would be more inclined to want to hear some of the RBH based systems that forum members have, like Gene's latest setup, or TLS_Guy's custom solution. Those are based on sound design principals and quality gear.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind too much owning the Bryston SP4 16CH AVP with ATMOS/DTSX/Auro3D and Dirac (even though I prefer NOT to use any Room Correction) and all Bryston amps with 20 YR Warranty.

But cost way too much. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
First, I don’t like room corrections (RC) either. So no arguments about that from me. At best, our “camp” doesn’t think RC improves the sound. At worst we think RC messes up the sound.

Whether anyone uses RC or not is their personal preference, as with any other features.

But when we use DIRECT mode, that shuts off ALL EQ/DSP/RC. So in DIRECT it is “FLAT”.

Are you saying that even in DIRECT, Sony AVR will still sound like EQ/DSP/RC is on?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Just for the record. Atmos is much more than “mostly overhead effects”. The real idea is placing sounds in 3d space on XYZ axes. Obviously some soundtracks are better than others, but when it’s done well, you can literally have sounds IN the room. The album “point” by Yello has some sounds that are right next to your head. Like when I listen to some songs it’s like water dripping on my neck. Very very eerie. Sometimes it’s more like just in the height layer, but again, not all Atmos is created equal. My system is 7.3.4 and IME, Atmos has overall been great.
You are speaking of the Atmos album on Apple Music on AppleTV 4K?

Or the $44 disc version?

I enjoy it on the Apple Music Atmos. I am doubtful buying the disc would improve it but just curious. LOL :)

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You are speaking of the Atmos album on Apple Music on AppleTV 4K?

Or the $44 disc version?

I enjoy it on the Apple Music Atmos. I am doubtful buying the disc would improve it but just curious. LOL :)
Yes, streaming on ATV4k. There is so much stuff going on in the room. Sometimes it’s almost holographic. I like to listen with my eyes closed sometimes and it’s just amazing.
Not sure the disk would be better in thins case really. IME Apple Music’s Atmos presentations have been mostly very good.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I still need to get that disc to compare it to the Apple Music version. Rights change and album versions come and go. Tidal had it in Atmos for awhile and then went to two channel only recently. Best to own a lossless hard copy.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I still need to get that disc to compare it to the Apple Music version. Rights change and album versions come and go. Tidal had it in Atmos for awhile and then went to two channel only recently. Best to own a lossless hard copy.
Ya an artist could pull content offline at any moment I suppose. Not a bad idea to buy the disc. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis