Multiroom speaker setup

P

pumpkinHED

Audiophyte
Hello All,

Older listener but newbie to this forum. I'm seeking some help on a system setup that allows multiple speakers to be playing the same music at the same time.

I have my main system in the living room NAD c350 integrated amp with single (no A/B) wired speaker inputs only (plus a subwoofer). I'd prefer not to crank the sound to hear in the kitchen, so would like to set up a second set of speakers in the kitchen. A third possible scenario is another (third) set of speakers upstairs.

Is this possible?

I was thinking maybe I'd need to get an A/B - A+B splitter, but then there might be power issues. Are there wireless bluetooth powered speaker options? I currently have a bluetooth receiver (1Mii) for spotify that I run into the system. Maybe I can use a bluetooth transmitter/receiver? Is this possible? Any bluetooth and/or speaker recommendations?

I'm not looking for top of the line, my current speaker setup is Axiom Mt3i speakers and Rythmik subwoofer to give an idea of where I am on the audio budget spectrum.

How have others handled this problem?

Thanks!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hello All,

Older listener but newbie to this forum. I'm seeking some help on a system setup that allows multiple speakers to be playing the same music at the same time.

I have my main system in the living room NAD c350 integrated amp with single (no A/B) wired speaker inputs only (plus a subwoofer). I'd prefer not to crank the sound to hear in the kitchen, so would like to set up a second set of speakers in the kitchen. A third possible scenario is another (third) set of speakers upstairs.

Is this possible?

I was thinking maybe I'd need to get an A/B - A+B splitter, but then there might be power issues. Are there wireless bluetooth powered speaker options? I currently have a bluetooth receiver (1Mii) for spotify that I run into the system. Maybe I can use a bluetooth transmitter/receiver? Is this possible? Any bluetooth and/or speaker recommendations?

I'm not looking for top of the line, my current speaker setup is Axiom Mt3i speakers and Rythmik subwoofer to give an idea of where I am on the audio budget spectrum.

How have others handled this problem?

Thanks!
You can't use the second set of speakers at the same time (a+b) and not have problems as that halves the impendece value. You're better off using the main out (preout) and add a second amp and an impendece matching speaker selector. A crown xli series pro amp would be ideal as they're powerful, stable, and accept consumer level gear voltage input.

P

pumpkinHED

Audiophyte
You can't use the second set of speakers at the same time (a+b) and not have problems as that halves the impendece value. You're better off using the main out (preout) and add a second amp and an impendece matching speaker selector. A crown xli series pro amp would be ideal as they're powerful, stable, and accept consumer level gear voltage input.
Thanks so much for the quick reply and recommendation, definitely works with my budget. I have 2 preouts currently (plus a main) and preout 1 is going to the subwoofer (there are bridge connectors between preout 2 and main). Would the subwoofer stay in preout1 and main go to second amp?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks so much for the quick reply and recommendation, definitely works with my budget. I have 2 preouts currently (plus a main) and preout 1 is going to the subwoofer (there are bridge connectors between preout 2 and main). Would the subwoofer stay in preout1 and main go to second amp?
That works (I'm assuming that neither is low passed) and is the simple solution for what you have described. Just make sure that the speaker selector/ VC is impedance matching and you'll be fine. I've run multiple zones this way in the past for a simple multi zone setup. Just remember that this is for backround music, not full blown party sound if playing more then two zones at once behind the speaker selector.

P

pumpkinHED

Audiophyte
That works (I'm assuming that neither is low passed) and is the simple solution for what you have described. Just make sure that the speaker selector/ VC is impedance matching and you'll be fine. I've run multiple zones this way in the past for a simple multi zone setup. Just remember that this is for backround music, not full blown party sound if playing more then two zones at once behind the speaker selector.
Thanks again for recommendation and for the heads up, luckily my block rocking days are behind me!

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Don’t forgot you can get powered monitors or a basic receiver in another room if you’re unable to do multiple zones as you’re trying .
In my basement I use an insignia Bluetooth stereo for my music although it has no sub output , so I had to wire sub to it.
I got it $20 lol

P

pumpkinHED

Audiophyte
Don’t forgot you can get powered monitors or a basic receiver in another room if you’re unable to do multiple zones as you’re trying .
In my basement I use an insignia Bluetooth stereo for my music although it has no sub output , so I had to wire sub to it.
I got it $20 lol
Thanks Kingnoob, I'm thinking of something like this as well as a solution. I currently use Airfoil on my Mac, and it acts as a streaming hub for multiple devices (speakers). It's via bluetooth and I can send a signal to my stereo and multiple other devices to broadcast simultaneously. It even has controls for latency (EQ too!). It also allows for control via your phone (like a remote). The downside is your computer is where the signal originates, rather than through the stereo, so I'm limited to whatever streaming I'm doing through my computer (though the bulk of my current listening is streaming). If I want to listen to vinyl I'm limited to my local amp. Horses for courses...

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks Kingnoob, I'm thinking of something like this as well as a solution. I currently use Airfoil on my Mac, and it acts as a streaming hub for multiple devices (speakers). It's via bluetooth and I can send a signal to my stereo and multiple other devices to broadcast simultaneously. It even has controls for latency (EQ too!). It also allows for control via your phone (like a remote). The downside is your computer is where the signal originates, rather than through the stereo, so I'm limited to whatever streaming I'm doing through my computer (though the bulk of my current listening is streaming). If I want to listen to vinyl I'm limited to my local amp. Horses for courses...
This is my basemen set up lol a rag tag group of electronics I had laying around collecting dust in the garage/ house. I was considering Bluetooth speakers but they are so damn expensive for the sizes I wanted. There better then said Bluetooth speakers I bet also, and most experienced audio enthusiasts would probably just dump all this gear for nothing or free lol.. saying it’s junk.
I use it at night my best set up will wake the parents.
E7793DE9-3BA7-4508-9855-873D48952F62.jpeg
5B28B0D5-8BC3-47D1-AEBB-4B8F34D1A48C.jpeg
2484F24C-BD48-47C4-8752-93DB884F3C84.jpeg

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would use the tape outputs on the NAD for these connections. The preout connections on the NAD should be volume controlled by the NAD which is not what you want in other zones. You want them with their own volume controls. You can either use a volume control, in the wall, of the room the speakers are in, or you can use a volume control/speaker selector, or you can use a multi-room controller preamp with phone control for volume.

But, it would come out the TAPE 1 OUT into a amplifier which is 4 ohm stable, then out to either a volume control in each room or a local volume control. Then speakers in the rooms. If pricing was right, you could get two amplifiers and hook one up to TAPE 1 OUT and the other to TAPE 2 OUT.

Both of those outputs should provide full line level audio to the amplifier for playback of audio in those other rooms.

A product like this would give you solid amplification for up to three additional rooms of audio for under $150...

Back of your NAD:

P

pumpkinHED

Audiophyte
I would use the tape outputs on the NAD for these connections. The preout connections on the NAD should be volume controlled by the NAD which is not what you want in other zones. You want them with their own volume controls. You can either use a volume control, in the wall, of the room the speakers are in, or you can use a volume control/speaker selector, or you can use a multi-room controller preamp with phone control for volume.

But, it would come out the TAPE 1 OUT into a amplifier which is 4 ohm stable, then out to either a volume control in each room or a local volume control. Then speakers in the rooms. If pricing was right, you could get two amplifiers and hook one up to TAPE 1 OUT and the other to TAPE 2 OUT.

Both of those outputs should provide full line level audio to the amplifier for playback of audio in those other rooms.

A product like this would give you solid amplification for up to three additional rooms of audio for under $150...

Back of your NAD:
Have to say I never thought something like that could be done. I can see the tape 1 working but I thought if tape 2 were selected it would turn into the input. Or maybe the outs are just inactive (not selected) on the amp? I guess my question is, if neither tape (1 or 2) is selected, is there still an output signal from the amp? I'm imagining if I'm playing a CD I need to select CD to hear it. If I select tape 1, I get that that can act as a 'record' signal and audio would get through. If I hit tape 2, I thought that meant the system is looking at tape 2 as the signal source. Hope this is clear. And thanks for the idea!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Have to say I never thought something like that could be done. I can see the tape 1 working but I thought if tape 2 were selected it would turn into the input. Or maybe the outs are just inactive (not selected) on the amp? I guess my question is, if neither tape (1 or 2) is selected, is there still an output signal from the amp? I'm imagining if I'm playing a CD I need to select CD to hear it. If I select tape 1, I get that that can act as a 'record' signal and audio would get through. If I hit tape 2, I thought that meant the system is looking at tape 2 as the signal source. Hope this is clear. And thanks for the idea!
Generally speaking, my experience has been that if you select 'CD' as your source, then 'RECORD OUT' will be the 'CD'. The only time 'RECORD OUT' won't match the current source (maybe) is when you select 'TAPE 1' as your source. Then, it won't loop back out to record itself, creating a feedback loop.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis