The Marantz "Cinema Series" "2022-2023" AV Pre-Launch Thread

N

natra84

Enthusiast
For Marantz Cinema 40 & 50 Dirac Live 2023 March after firmware update (Phase 1)
- Limited Bandwith 259$
- Full Bandwith 349$

Dirac Live Bass Control - 2024/Q1 - TBD (Phase 2)
- Single sub 349$
- Multisub 499$

All-in-one package - 2024/Q1 - TBD (Phase 2)
- Full correction + single bass control 649$
- Full correction + multi sub bass control 799$

Ti and ESS Dacs. They keeping eye for AKM.

Sound United has put out Marantz information clip about the new products. Also Q&A at the end of video. @PENG might want to listen the part "The most musical sound" and HDAM chip comparison = Cinema 60 graphs showing lower THD and where the HDAM module is placed. :D

Crazy, Direc prices, the way that I understood is that if you buy a new AV receiver, then you have to pay again to a Direc. I think it’s time for sound united to make their own room calibration that could match the best ones.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
Crazy, Direc prices, the way that I understood is that if you buy a new AV receiver, then you have to pay again to a Direc. I think it’s time for sound united to make their own room calibration that could match the best ones.
They bought audyssey about 8 years ago or so for that very reason...

What they need to do is invest in developing it further.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
For Marantz Cinema 40 & 50 Dirac Live 2023 March after firmware update (Phase 1)
- Limited Bandwith 259$
- Full Bandwith 349$

Dirac Live Bass Control - 2024/Q1 - TBD (Phase 2)
- Single sub 349$
- Multisub 499$

All-in-one package - 2024/Q1 - TBD (Phase 2)
- Full correction + single bass control 649$
- Full correction + multi sub bass control 799$

Ti and ESS Dacs. They keeping eye for AKM.

Sound United has put out Marantz information clip about the new products. Also Q&A at the end of video. @PENG might want to listen the part "The most musical sound" and HDAM chip comparison = Cinema 60 graphs showing lower THD and where the HDAM module is placed. :D

Thank you for the update, and for you, I thought I would kill a few minutes and read the damn thing (I mean the HDAM:)), Same BS is what it is! I think they actually believe in what they said though. It also has the effect, intended or not, of preconditioning the not so technical and/or not so logically oriented general public to listen for, hear and therefore heard the benefits of HDAMs. In some way, those marketing people can be like politicians, they likely know people will most likely believe what they say if they can give them some technical reasons whether the seemingly technical reasons make sense of not.

I like the fact that in this video they show you the block diagrams so if you apply simple logic, and can see that no matter how "fast" the discrete HDAM is, say it does not introduce any delay, such as slew rate if infinite, because it takes the signal from the DAC and the volume chip (that is an IC, not discrete), so whatever delay there is, would have already been baked in, the best this extra buffer stage can do it not to make it worse!! To understand that, one has to be used to reading such block diagrams, and has the ability to think logically, with or without some basic electrical/electronic knowledge.

Same for distortions and noise, the best this thing can do is not to add, but it cannot reduce distortions and noise. The soundmaster thing is downright silly, they have them for both Marantz and Denon so presumably each tune for their own intended sound signature, yet Marantz has the discrete HDAM board they can tune (according to the presenter of the video), implying it cannot be tuned without the HDAM?

And if they tune the HDAM board for a different sound and reduce distortions, how come they cannot show the measured results? The specs still show 0.08% THD+N, 20-20,000 Hz for the C50 and presumably 0.05% for the C40, following the trend set by the SR6000 and SR7000, Denon AVR-X3000, X4000 series. We can say THD+N is not a good indicator for sound quality, but if they claim HDAMs reduce or improve distortions they should be able to show the measured results regardless of correlation or not. That's again, just simple logic!

In all bench measurements by Gene, Amir and whoever did those for HTHF show Marantz AVRs in the past have virtually flat frequency response from 20 to 20,000 Hz, may be down a couple dB at 20 kHz if digital inputs are used for sampling rate lower than 48 kHz, THD less than 0.08%. Those metrics indicate FR and distortions should be below the threshold of audibility. If the HDAM board is as good (audibly) as they claim, SU should offer it as an option or better still, sell them as an external buffer box and potentially make a lot of money on them.

If the HDAM boards are improved versions of the ones used before, it could improve on distortions and noise by adding less of it (sadly the truth, again, don't need to know electronics, just logic), and will therefore sound different to those with golden ears, better or not would depend.

Above are obviously just my opinion based on logic.

Last edited:
Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
I have the Cinema 50 receiver when do I get to see Dirac ?...

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
How do you like the Cinema 50 so far?
I love it my system as follows Marantz cinema 50, Sony A95X 65 OLED , GoldenEar Triton 5s , Triton Super Center XL , GE Triton 7s for rears, Apple TV latest HDR10 . IT replaced Marantz SR 6015.

A

Audiguy3

Enthusiast
Yesterday my dealer called and said Marantz said my AMP10 will be shipping after the first

rsharp

rsharp

Audioholic
It's interesting that the AV 10 and AMP 10 ship before the Cinema 40.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, can’t wait to see impressions from people who upgraded to Dirac with their Marantz and Denon.
I think the biggest let down is that they aren't ready with Bass Control at this stage. The folk I've talked to using that are super impressed with how Dirac handles everything.
The cost for the total upgrade is a bit ridiculous, though and for the price of some of the Marantz Units, they should have worked out including the basic license. *shrugs It is what it is. ;)

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
I think the biggest let down is that they aren't ready with Bass Control at this stage. The folk I've talked to using that are super impressed with how Dirac handles everything.
The cost for the total upgrade is a bit ridiculous, though and for the price of some of the Marantz Units, they should have worked out including the basic license. *shrugs It is what it is. ;)
The only competitor to support DLBC near that price point seems to be the Onkyo family.... and their DLBC AVR would be US$3000+$400 DLBC Licence... so US$3400 (Pioneer LX805)

We are yet to see what competition does (or doesn't!) in this market segment, but it is definitely heating up.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You might have seen my extensive research on the Marantz vs Denon regarding values in different part of the globe, that based on price alone, unless someone's main priority is on the style and cosmetics:

If in the US or Canada, go with the X3800H or X4800H (would be my choice).
If in Europe of the Far East such as Sigapore, potentially Hong Kong, Taiwan etc., go with the Cinema 50 or 40 (would be my choice).

If Dirac is not important for you, then Anthem's could be a good alternative. I am happy with my Anthem, but I don't mind spending time tweaking ARCG and I know how to do it.:) For those who just want to run auto setup and then just sit back and enjoy, I would highly recommend grabbing a Denon and pay the DL license fees, or spend a couple hours on tweaking Audyssey with the app and save the $800 on DLBC, you will likely get at least 75% of the benefits of DLBC that way especially for those who will limit the RC range to the Schroeder frequency.

Onkyo's RZ50 would be a great choice if use as preamp/proc and if okay without DLBC.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
By the way, I am convinced that for $9,300 (with DLBC's price adder), nothing beats the Marantz AV10.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Not exactly lunch money.:)
No, but I was thinking the closest one in price would be the Anthem AVM90, in fact same without the Dirac license. IMO, I would gladly pay $800 more to get DLBC, Anthem Genesis is not even close if one just run it and forget it.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
No, but I was thinking the closest one in price would be the Anthem AVM90, in fact same without the Dirac license. IMO, I would gladly pay $800 more to get DLBC, Anthem Genesis is not even close if one just run it and forget it.
Not sure why anyone would choose DL without DLBC if one has multiple subs, and that adds to the extra cost with more than just a little.

So when my 2015 model Denon AVR-X4200W croaks all of this is included in the new model for “free”. :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Not sure why anyone would choose DL without DLBC if one has multiple subs, and that adds to the extra cost with more than just a little.
Agreed, even one sub, I wouldn't bother with Dirac without DLBC because without bass management and time alignment, may as well use Audyssey with the app and that does do bass management and time alignment.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis