Polk XT90 Atmos speakers and general questions?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Finally going to step up to Atmos. I have the Denon X3400H so it's only 2 front Atmos capable. Have had this receiver for years but just haven't done Atmos. I took a half ass attempt at it years ago but it sounded terrible because I half assed it.
Any way I didn't want to go expensive for these Atmos speakers so I ordered the Polk XT90's. Any thoughts on these? They were on sale for 149.99 bucks.
Atmos fronts should be high up on the wall, actually right where the wall and ceiling meet? They should be the same exactly width of the main speakers? Is this correct or not? Any other advice? Tips?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey het! Been a while, actually thought about that this morning! Lol.

Anyways, I would go with a side height install if you can.( it’s closer to a TOP front instal). Imo the front height, where you describe can’t get enough “overhead” sound. The speakers should be just fine. But aim them at the LP.

This pic uses four side heights but you get the idea.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Hey het! Been a while, actually thought about that this morning! Lol.

Anyways, I would go with a side height install if you can.( it’s closer to a TOP front instal). Imo the front height, where you describe can’t get enough “overhead” sound. The speakers should be just fine. But aim them at the LP.

This pic uses four side heights but you get the idea.

Ok thanks for advice. I'm not totally sure how I would do that because I think these just have the keyhole on the back for mounting. I do like this idea though as it will be closer to the listening position. Thanks again.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think they’re are plenty of options for mounting just about any way you want. You’d have to be willing to mount some hardware to the speaker. But that’s no big deal. Imo.
The thing I’m struggling with is that Polk sells them for use as upfiring speakers, and wall/ceiling mount. Dolby Atmos enabled(upfiring) need to utilize a special internal XO with a FR notch to help trick the brain into more easily hearing the sounds as overhead. Regular speakers don’t have this and will not work. Since I don’t see a switch on the speaker, or any mention of it, I have to believe these will only work mounted on the wall/ceiling. Still reading, but they really should be clearer about it.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I think they’re are plenty of options for mounting just about any way you want. You’d have to be willing to mount some hardware to the speaker. But that’s no big deal. Imo.
The thing I’m struggling with is that Polk sells them for use as upfiring speakers, and wall/ceiling mount. Dolby Atmos enabled(upfiring) need to utilize a special internal XO with a FR notch to help trick the brain into more easily hearing the sounds as overhead. Regular speakers don’t have this and will not work. Since I don’t see a switch on the speaker, or any mention of it, I have to believe these will only work mounted on the wall/ceiling. Still reading, but they really should be clearer about it.

Ok, now I'm confused. I see that these can pull double duty. Are we saying these won't be good in the position I'm planning to use them in?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ok, now I'm confused. I see that these can pull double duty. Are we saying these won't be good in the position I'm planning to use them in?
I think if you mount them overhead they’ll be ok. I don’t believe that they’d work as DAE(dolby Atmos enabled) speakers as they are selling them.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I think if you mount them overhead they’ll be ok. I don’t believe that they’d work as DAE(dolby Atmos enabled) speakers as they are selling them.
So the "bouncy house" Atmos we are talking about? No way, I would never even try that. That always seemed like a terrible idea.
I'll experiment I guess. I'm gonna try the front wall behind the TV. High up almost touching the ceiling. Same exact width of the main speakers. Sound like I'm on the right track?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Like @William Lemmerhirt said, up-firing Atmos Speakers have a crossover specifically designed for the "bouncing" application. According to the XT90 manual the frequency response is 164 Hz–17 kHz. I don't know how Audyssey is going to handle them. I've avoid bouncy speakers since they came out. I just can wrap my head around the concept delivering.

Normally in ceiling or on ceiling Atmos speakers are the same distance apart as the L&R between the mains and the MLP. They are no to be confused with Front Height Speakers

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So the "bouncy house" Atmos we are talking about? No way, I would never even try that. That always seemed like a terrible idea.
I'll experiment I guess. I'm gonna try the front wall behind the TV. High up almost touching the ceiling. Same exact width of the main speakers. Sound like I'm on the right track?
How far apart are the mains? How high is ceiling?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Like @William Lemmerhirt said, up-firing Atmos Speakers have a crossover specifically designed for the "bouncing" application. According to the XT90 manual the frequency response is 164 Hz–17 kHz. I don't know how Audyssey is going to handle them. I've avoid bouncy speakers since they came out. I just can wrap my head around the concept delivering.

Normally in ceiling or on ceiling Atmos speakers are the same distance apart as the L&R between the mains and the MLP. They are no to be confused with Front Height Speakers

I’ll try and find a link. But there’s a thread in avs about those black lines not being what you’d think. Heights/tops are installed based on angles from the MLP. IF that ends the same width then great. But It’s an interesting thread.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I’ll try and find a link. But there’s a thread in avs about those black lines not being what you’d think. Heights/tops are installed based on angles from the MLP. IF that ends the same width then great. But It’s an interesting thread.
My mains are about 6 feet apart from each other. They are about 2 feet from the front wall. I think we have 10 foot ceilings.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My mains are about 6 feet apart from each other. They are about 2 feet from the front wall. I think we have 10 foot ceilings.
6’ seems pretty close together to me. But I don’t know how wide the room is either. Iirc 60° apart for LR. The general recommendation for heights is 45° front to back and side to side. So if you had 4 tops, and the seated ear height was 36” that means with 10’ ceilings, you’d have 7’ from ear to ceiling. That would mean 7’ in front and behind.

For 2 heights, the pic that @jim posted is right. Having fairly high ceilings like yours means that you might get a good experience where you intend to place them. Lower ceilings wouldn’t allow enough separation. I still think side heights are better but that’s a lot of extra cable to pull.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Thanks for the corrected link @William Lemmerhirt. I took a look at this video, and while he does make some interesting points, he seems to want folks to look to setup like a Movie Theater, with his own personal tweaks on top of that. I just think the software we get in an AVR isn't quite the same as a business, and if it was Dolby would have the same instructions for both. I did think there was some value in his comments on Tiered Seating and adjusting rear speaker heights, but again, is the home version of Dolby Atmos / AVR setup software sophisticated enough to really make use of it.

If Dolby was wrong in their instructions, they should man up and admit it, then revise their documentation to suit. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis