If you had 5k-7k$……

M

mx416

Audioholic
Agreed for sure.

My long term is probably something like a Denon X800 series and use pre amp mode with all channels on external amps.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
For me it was about the economy that a 5 ch would bring in price per channel. Buying a 5 ch would be more about future proofing for a 7 or 9 or 11 ch setup.

Also just out of frame on the excel is the 2ch choices i was looking at. Just was keeping my options open i guess. :p
While I am known to dump on bi-amping, one thing you can do is get the 5 channel amp and use it to bi-amp your main speakers. While you might not see a whole lot more power delivery since the channels are drawing from the same power supply, you might be able to get the amp to run a bit cooler since each channel's impedance wouldn't be as low.

M

mx416

Audioholic
Thanks ShadyJ

Any preference on the amps talked about so far?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What would you base a preference on, tho? Size of box/boxes? Weight? Aesthetics of panel? Extra features (like gain control, clipping indicators, that sort of thing)? Better low impedance handling capabilities?

M

mx416

Audioholic
Humm.

Size of box: not a factor. luckily have room for what ever i get. Future I plan to have plenty of room as well.
Weight: not a factor I’m more of a set it and leave it.
aesthetics: I do like the parasound front. However all the gear will be hid away in the master bedroom at my current house and most likely an AV closet if i ever move.
Extra features: maybe a clipping indicator for future use. (Low priority tho)
Low Impedance handling is nice in case i change out speakers in the future. The amp is the long term purchase for sure. Future proof on low impedance speakers would be nice.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks ShadyJ

Any preference on the amps talked about so far?
I am sure they would all be good. I just got a Monolith 5x200 which is a beast. It is truly heavy though. You could use it to bi-amp your speakers, and since you would be using four of the modules instead of two, you would be using more heatsinks as well as an easier-to-manage impedance load, and that would be better for thermal management.

M

mx416

Audioholic
I am sure they would all be good. I just got a Monolith 5x200 which is a beast. It is truly heavy though. You could use it to bi-amp your speakers, and since you would be using four of the modules instead of two, you would be using more heatsinks as well as an easier-to-manage impedance load, and that would be better for thermal management.
Thanks ShadyJ. Unfortunately the wires are already ran through the attic and walls. So bi-amping will not be possible.

I have over the pass couple days really narrowed my search. If im honest not really based on much but feeling at this point. I’m down to looking at the parasound A52+, monolith 5X, ATI AT1825.

Which the monolith is just a ATI AT1825 when it really comes to what matters….

so i guess im down to two ‍:rolleyes:

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks ShadyJ. Unfortunately the wires are already ran through the attic and walls. So bi-amping will not be possible.

I have over the pass couple days really narrowed my search. If im honest not really based on much but feeling at this point. I’m down to looking at the parasound A52+, monolith 5X, ATI AT1825.

Which the monolith is just a ATI AT1825 when it really comes to what matters….

so i guess im down to two ‍:rolleyes:
I really like Parasound too. It's pricey compared to Monoprice, but the folks at Parasound are really truly nice and well-respected in the industry. If I were shopping for an amp, they would be among my top choices.

M

mx416

Audioholic
The parasound A52+ with the 225W @ 8 ohms 2 Ch driven is just so appealing :p, I know db wise it doesn’t mean anything….

M

mx416

Audioholic
Just following up. I went with the Monolith 5x200. Main reason was just the cost difference.

Should show up in a couple days.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Just following up. I went with the Monolith 5x200. Main reason was just the cost difference.

Should show up in a couple days.
Have to let us know how you like it!!!

M

mx416

Audioholic
Just updating with some photos.

Word of advice for folks looking into this amp or the 7x+ versions of this amp. I didnt put much stock into the 70+lb spec sheet on this 5X amp. I’m young and fit I thought. this amps weight is no joke and actually adds some difficulty to things. Simple putting it in the rack/shelf you have to be careful and thoughtful. Next sliding the rack back to the wall was quite the task TBH. however it is in now and i couldn't be happier!

Today i re-ran Audyssey. Using the Audyssey app. It gave me better results(bass) then just running on the 4300H for some reason. I then limited the correction to 1K hz and under for the speakers. Used the curve editor to help a bass dip at 70hz and now its time to listen. :)

PS any advice on the Aduyssey setup is appreciated :p

2BF241D5-A9D2-47C8-B28D-4D9FE6719496.jpeg
13465E9A-238C-447A-AB05-1BCB7465C3C2.jpeg

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Nice, I just got done reading the thread and was going to recommend the Monolith X3 to you. Plenty of juice for those SVS towers that likely dip down into lower ohms with heavy bass. But, you got the X5, so you should be set. My X3 barely gets warm.

I only needed a 2 channel amp for my needs, but seeing the jump to the 3 channel also bought you a fairly larger transformer in addition to the 3rd channel, I went for it. Very powerful amp, but like you noted- heavy. I wish I would have kept my Hypex 502 Buckeye just for the sheer lack of weight and size, but lack of a few things sent me elsewhere.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Just updating with some photos.

Word of advice for folks looking into this amp or the 7x+ versions of this amp. I didnt put much stock into the 70+lb spec sheet on this 5X amp. I’m young and fit I thought. this amps weight is no joke and actually adds some difficulty to things. Simple putting it in the rack/shelf you have to be careful and thoughtful. Next sliding the rack back to the wall was quite the task TBH. however it is in now and i couldn't be happier!

Today i re-ran Audyssey. Using the Audyssey app. It gave me better results(bass) then just running on the 4300H for some reason. I then limited the correction to 1K hz and under for the speakers. Used the curve editor to help a bass dip at 70hz and now its time to listen. :)
First of all, congrats! The Anthem amp is nice and I have one. The Monolith has a larger power supply and the 70+ is expected, due to the large transformers.

Just one point on Audyssey using the editor to edit, if you simply use the App to shape the bass curve, it will be extremely unlikely to help your 70 Hz dip especially if it is one of those narrow ones. To actually help (but not eliminate) such a sharp dip, you have to use the App with a 3rd party UI such as Ratbuddssey and that's one reason why I created a thread for it.

It would be difficult and potentially lengthy process (2hours or more), as you basically have to lower all the peaks across the board by a few dB to level the 20-20,000 Hz and then increase the level across the board back up to compensate for the otherwise much low level. It is more complicated than that but that's the basic idea.

Thos narrow dips, according to experts including the respected Dr. Toole, are practically nothing to worry about. Again, you can't do much about it and it isn't actually an issue audibly speaking.

Below are example of such dip(s), and it is Dirac Live, so Audyssey is not the only one that couldn't fix such issues.

One that can be much improved, but potentially very time consuming depending on how ocd one is:
It can be much improved because the dips at 75 and 96 Hz are not very sharp dips. I tried lessening those dips by shaping the curve, that was easy to do with Dirac Live, but it still result in the two sharp dips. To improve it much further I would have to play around for hours, potentially. Even then, I am sure the dip at 96 Hz would remain while the one at around 75 Hz would become much better looking.

1667738560326.jpeg

One can shows the sharp dips at above 120 Hz could be improved to some extent only while those at the lower frequency were virtually eliminated using the Editor App with Ratbuddyssey.

1667739970227.jpeg

Last edited:
M

mx416

Audioholic
does anyone have an answer why my receiver does this for the sound mode?
3DF137C2-ED93-4470-8AC2-3F0F0B2544D4.jpeg

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
does anyone have an answer why my receiver does this for the sound mode?
View attachment 58732
I’ve the same on my Denon 2015 model and has been that for several years. I think it came after a firmware update.

It does not happen every time I turn on the receiver.

Pushing a sound mode button on the remote will then select the correct one. I’ve added that to my Harmony remote.

M

mx416

Audioholic
Wait wait wait. So your are telling me thats not the correct surround sound format For my direct tv? And i can just get regular DD?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Wait wait wait. So your are telling me thats not the correct surround sound format For my direct tv? And i can just get regular DD?
I’ve a 5.1 setup myself and often I get a surround mode for upmixing to speakers I don’t have.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis