If you had 5k-7k$……

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The results show if you listen to levels close to reference, the AVR-X4300H won't have enough juice for music or movie contents that have high dynamic peaks. If your maximum spl required is, say 10 dB below reference, then you will be fine and in that case adding an amp is still beneficial, but I doubt you will have audible benefits.

Note that reference level is 85 dB average, 105 dB maximum (highest peaks) from just one speaker at you mlp.

Last edited:
M

mx416

Audioholic
Thanks PENG. I do normally listen to movies at that -7 to 0 mark on the x4300h (10-20 times a year). in addition, music at the same level lets say 20-30 times a year. its not more often because i like my hearing and more importantly i need to be respectful of the neighborhood sometimes :cool:.

So if i understand you right it could be one of two things?

1. I could be pushing past the SVS ultras limits in a room as large as mine. (As some have mentioned)

2. The ultras can handle it, but I'm clipping my receiver to get there.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks PENG. I do normally listen to movies at that -7 to 0 mark on the x4300h (10-20 times a year). in addition, music at the same level lets say 20-30 times a year. its not more often because i like my hearing and more importantly i need to be respectful of the neighborhood sometimes :cool:.

So if i understand you right it could be one of two things?

1. I could be pushing past the SVS ultras limits in a room as large as mine. (As some have mentioned)

2. The ultras can handle it, but I'm clipping my receiver to get there.
That sounds about right but I believe 2 is much more likely. In fact if you crank it up to 0 or even near 0, you should get an external fan to help cool the unit.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Like most speakers, very few reviewers that measure things push the speakers past reference. I few recent reviews have pushed some speakers to the point of audible distortion to see where the speaker just hits limits. It would be really interesting to see a lot of these speakers measured at 95db to 105db to see how their linear response and distortion is. Sure, no one is listening continuously at those levels, but it would help to know the real world limits to expect quality audio from.

Very best,

M

mx416

Audioholic
That sounds about right but I believe 2 is much more likely. In fact if you crank it up to 0 or even near 0, you should get an external fan to help cool the unit.
Luckily PENG I have an AC infinity fan rear exhaust set to 95 degrees and it does a decent job.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Luckily PENG I have an AC infinity fan rear exhaust set to 95 degrees and it does a decent job.
I forgot one factor, your level trim settings!! Please check to see what they are set to after running Audyssey. If they are within a dB or so to 0 then I standby my educated guess that the AVR will clip during the highest peaks found in some movies. If not, I would like to know the settings in order to update my guess.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Like most speakers, very few reviewers that measure things push the speakers past reference. I few recent reviews have pushed some speakers to the point of audible distortion to see where the speaker just hits limits. It would be really interesting to see a lot of these speakers measured at 95db to 105db to see how their linear response and distortion is. Sure, no one is listening continuously at those levels, but it would help to know the real world limits to expect quality audio from.

Very best,
Excellent point! I could not find any bench measurements on the SVS Ultra Towers, let alone the rarely done measurements that would relate to your concerns.

My educated guess on the big towers are based on the following known facts:

- They are 3.5 way
- 2X 8" woofers
- 2X6.5" mid drivers
- Reviews/measurements on the likely similar design but much smaller Ultra Book shelf speaker

So I guess:

- this so called nominal 8 ohm impedance would be more like 6 ohm on average practically speaking
- distortions and linearity in the 95-105 dB range you mentioned measured at 1 m should not be an issue

Now on the linearity part, take a look of ASR measurements on the small Ultra bookshelf:
It managed only 0.5 dB loss at 112 dB @ 1 meter, that would be about a 100 dB @ 4 meter, and that is almost the OP's mlp of 14.5 ft (4.4 meters). The SVS Ultra Tower has much more and bigger drivers so it is reasonable to assume it should be able to produce at least 3, likely 6 dB more under the same condition.

SVS Ultra Bookshelf Speaker Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

1660478279418.png

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Interesting, is that only at 200hz though? Not a full sweep?

Very best,

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Interesting, is that only at 200hz though? Not a full sweep?

Very best,
That's why the label says.

By the way, SVS specs for the bookshelf:

• Sensitivity: 87 dB (2.83V @ 1 meter full-space, 300-3kHz)
In terms of compression check, I thought the 200 Hz pick is reasonable especially for small bookshelves. Tweeters can typically blast pretty loud, that's why even the big Revel Salon2 has only one tweeter.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Oh for sure, they can all get loud. But can they get that loud and not have distortion? I'm just curious. I'm by no means listening that loud. I find 95db to be as loud as I can handle for a short period. I've definitely noticed audibly on cheaper speakers that after a point the clarity falls and the voice of the speaker sounds audibly different to me, versus better ones where it seems to hold up fine and is just louder. That said, just because something is expensive or costs more doesn't mean it's truly better (at least in this regard). I think its a pretty interesting range to measure possibly. I may have to measure a few of mine to see how they behave.

Very best,

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh for sure, they can all get loud. But can they get that loud and not have distortion? I'm just curious. I'm by no means listening that loud. I find 95db to be as loud as I can handle for a short period. I've definitely noticed audibly on cheaper speakers that after a point the clarity falls and the voice of the speaker sounds audibly different to me, versus better ones where it seems to hold up fine and is just louder. That said, just because something is expensive or costs more doesn't mean it's truly better (at least in this regard). I think its a pretty interesting range to measure possibly. I may have to measure a few of mine to see how they behave.

Very best,
Below are for 96 dB, again that's for the bookshelves, though I think you can assume roughly the same for the towers in the high frequencies.

1660484971606.png
1660485128608.png

M

mx416

Audioholic
I forgot one factor, your level trim settings!! Please check to see what they are set to after running Audyssey. If they are within a dB or so to 0 then I standby my educated guess that the AVR will clip during the highest peaks found in some movies. If not, I would like to know the settings in order to update my guess.
All are +- 1 dB

M

mx416

Audioholic
I’m back at it again……i guess I’m just wanting to spend money :p .

So i have narrowed my search on the amp front. To the following:

monolith 3x200
Outlaw 3x M2220
ATI AT1823 3x200
Parasound A31
Parasound A52+
Monolith 5X200
ATI AT1825 3x200

whats your top two choices?

Unfortunately no go on the buckeye Amp. no RCA’s.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

monolith 3x200
Outlaw 3x M2220
ATI AT1823 3x200
Parasound A31
Parasound A52+
Monolith 5X200
ATI AT1825 3x200

You can use RCA to XLR. Top choice to me would be the Monolith 8250.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

monolith 3x200
Outlaw 3x M2220
ATI AT1823 3x200
Parasound A31
Parasound A52+
Monolith 5X200
ATI AT1825 3x200

More importantly, what is your criteria in having these on your list? I'm not shopping but I'd tend to need prices to consider amps at all....

M

mx416

Audioholic
Really it was:
Watts/Channel
price per channel
warranty
From what I have ready in reviews tthese all have good->great proformance in this range. The parasound are kinda the outlier on price. However i have always wanted to own parasound. So those are probably more my ego putting them on the list.

3D434EB0-0889-4FBA-8179-EDE2532E77D8.jpeg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why consider both 3 and 5ch amps? Not sure what you want to amplify?

M

mx416

Audioholic
For me it was about the economy that a 5 ch would bring in price per channel. Buying a 5 ch would be more about future proofing for a 7 or 9 or 11 ch setup.

Also just out of frame on the excel is the 2ch choices i was looking at. Just was keeping my options open i guess. :p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For me it was about the economy that a 5 ch would bring in price per channel. Buying a 5 ch would be more about future proofing for a 7 or 9 or 11 ch setup.

Also just out of frame on the excel is the 2ch choices i was looking at. Just was keeping my options open i guess. :p
Gotcha. Sweet spot for the Monolith amps is the 7ch for that matter.... :) Might depend also if you're trying to support all speakers with external amps....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis