If you had 5k-7k$……

M

mx416

Audioholic
Looking for some help from all the folks on here.

I am looking to switch to separates just to future proof and add headroom. Currently have a 5 channel system but would like enough power to expand to 7 or 9 channels. I am running SVS ultras up front. Which i love. However at high -7->0 volumes i feel they lose clearity on my Denon 4300H.

I am running a dedicated 20amp circuit to my system whatever i get.

If you had to spend 5K-7K usd on processing and power for this system what would you get?

Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd just keep using the 4300 and just add amps to see if that's the difference for now. Won't need to spend that kind of budget, a coupla power amps (and I'd go for somewhere in the 300wpc range, maybe something in the Crown XLS 1502-2502 range or maybe some of the Purifi or Hypex module amps from Buckeye or VTV etc) for the front three should tell you if power/overhead are the issue for far less. I've not found "separates" to be all that different myself nor have dedicated pre-pros shown to have better pre-amp measurements than the better avrs. Could be the speakers that you're finding coming up short, too. Is this for surround sound or do you use a multich stereo mode?

M

mx416

Audioholic
Thanks for the reply.

Was considering giving away the 4300h to my parents as a good reason to upgrade :).

For music I only listen in two channel. So the surround extra channels would be just for movies.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Then maybe just one amp would do to see if that's going to make the difference. You use the bookshelf or tower ultras?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
At least they're a bit more sensitive (and I see now in your signature, that light colored font is easy to ignore :) ). I'd still overall think less about electronics and more about speakers as where to throw money for better audio.

M

mx416

Audioholic
Hehe….well whats the next big move from the ultras?

I wish the JTR 3 ways had a little more WAF…..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hehe….well whats the next big move from the ultras?

I wish the JTR 3 ways had a little more WAF…..
LOL those (215RTs particularly) were what I was thinking of. Wouldn't need much amp with them either (stack of electronics vs slightly different coffin boxes argument for the wife?)....and they can be prettied up some with custom finishes....

M

mx416

Audioholic
I have been eyeing the 212RT for a while now :).

Back on topic haha, any thoughts on the following amps?

Anthem MCA 325
Parasound 52+
Parasound 21+
Outlaw 2220
outlaw 7000X

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think about amps a lot, they're more similar than different except in power and impedance handling and I don't listen as loud as I used to either (trying to be nicer to my old ears once tinnitus arrived a coupla years ago). The least of your group would be the Outlaw 7000X I'd think, rather have one of their ATI-built amps for multich, but the 2220 seems a solid choice for the price (do they still have a 3x deal?). I wouldn't bother with less than 200wpc, and would aim more at the 300wpc range if you're going the power amp route, and I'd get one that can handle 2 ohms. Anthem and Parasound tend to be higher priced than they're worth IMO. I'm using Crown XLS amps for years along with some old Carvers, fwiw. Have you checked out the Purifi or Hypex module builds from a variety of brands?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you had to spend 5K-7K usd on processing and power for this system what would you get?
I would wait for Yamaha to come out with the CX-A5300 and get an ATI 7CH amp or equivalent.

Last edited:
O

OHMisback

Audioholic
Used Mcintosh gear you could do it. It would last another 20 years too. A good 2 channel preamp
with play through for HT is better than the other way around. It cost less selecting the preamp, if
you know what your looking for. It make it easier to have your cake and eat it too.

I use a C2500 with a MX121. Power amps are as needed. I also use a Cary SLP-05 with play through.
Cary V12r for the mains and Nord OneUp NC500s as needed.

You could keep the unit you have and ad a lot better 2 channel side and only have to add two more
great mono blocks vs a 7 channel power amp.

There is a lot of ways to go, I lean toward Mac. I have for 50 years. Never let me down.
Cary's valve sound is wonderful. I'm listening to a V12R outside right now.

Last edited:
M

mx416

Audioholic
Thanks fellas.

Will, I'm not sure I need anymore woofer right now. 2 fV18s seem to hold there own.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Thanks for the reply.

Was considering giving away the 4300h to my parents as a good reason to upgrade :).

For music I only listen in two channel. So the surround extra channels would be just for movies.
Sound like you got some money and want to spend it. Follow some of the advice you're being given otherwise you're going to waste money on something you're not going to get a return on.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks fellas.

Will, I'm not sure I need anymore woofer right now. 2 fV18s seem to hold there own.
Well shitt! Guess I forgot about that. Would love a pair of those. I think the denon is a good processor and money would be better spent on speakers or possibly amps to drive em. The ultras are pretty damn good, and @Pogre has pushed them extensively. Hopefully he can share some thoughts. The mention of JTR is a good one, and I would also consider PSA for higher sensitivity speakers. JBL M2 might be my first choice but definitely expensive. The HDI3800 seems like a great choice as well.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks fellas.

Yeah but can you imagine 2 FV 18's combining there power with 2 FV25HP's it's like the robots and pilots all combing to create Voltron! It would be so epic!!! Oh I just shiver thinking of the awesomeness of it!!!!! :eek:

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I agree with Lovin though before you invest into seperates start with a good amp the 4300 has a great pre amp section. Those ultras I hear like juice and can get loud without distortion when they get it. A great 3 channel amp should do the trick. Since you only do 2 channel in music and the 4300 should be more then capable of driving your surrounds

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I have been eyeing the 212RT for a while now :).

Back on topic haha, any thoughts on the following amps?

Anthem MCA 325
Parasound 52+
Parasound 21+
Outlaw 2220
outlaw 7000X
The Outlaw 2220 would be my pick get 3 now and then add 2 or 4 more for the base layer plus the Outlaw 7000 when you do make the jump to seperates that's just a killer bang for the buck great sound too! It's how I would have done it if I had to do it all over again

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis