Denon AVR-x3700H issues

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If you are getting speckles, you might try setting the Apple TV to 4K SDR 60. Yeah, I know, but then go into video settings and click Match Content. Then, match Dynamic Range and Frame Rate. Trying to put out HDR @60hz is not advisable when you are already short on bandwidth and making a long run. Setting the menus to HDR looks worse than setting it to 4K SDR 4:4:4 because the menus are SDR and the Apple TV is just applying FAKEDR. Even with it set at 4K SDR 4:4:4, HDR 4:2:2 @24fps will be displayed when watching HDR movies after Match Dynamic Range and Frame Rate are selected. You will notice a flicker when returning to SDR from HDR @24fps. This is normal for the setting. Anyway, just something to try.

LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Junior Audioholic
Update: Last night i was able to send HDR10/Dolby vision to my projector using my 50ft fiberoptic HDMI cable on Monitor 2.. when ONLY monitor 2 was plugged in. For Apple TV to send its highest quality, I had to change AppleTV to HDR/4K/59.4 and Chroma to 4:2:2 and that worked. (if you dont increase Chroma, you will get speckles in the background) So, the real issue is when you set Output to AUTO/DUAL you create a splitter in the Denon.. and with both outputs connected, sabotages the signal quality. You can change the output settings to Monitor1 or 2 to force it only to work that way (as a switch instead) but since Denon didnt give you a button on the remote to quickly do that, you have to go into settings each time. This is, in my opinion, as design flaw for 4K receivers that have 2 outputs. The Sony had an HDMI switch on the remote so you can easily switch from Monitor 1 to Monitor 2 or choose BOTH to make it work as a splitter instead. So because of the design flaw, i can 1) buy a quality HDMI switch with a remote to switch from TV to Projector without degrading quality. Or 2) go into settings each time and change to the monitor that i want to watch.... Of note, a booster won't help because i am using a fiber HDMI cable that has 0 degradation at 50ft, so thats not the issue.
Good troubleshooting! Makes sense to me. Sounds to me like a decent HDMI splitter is in your future.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
My Onkyo has a similar button on the remote control to switch between HDMI outputs or use both of them as well.;)

V

vfz

Audioholic Intern
Latest update... now monitor 1 doesnt work, period. Monitor 2 works great.. but only if thats the only thing plugged in. Regardless of whats plugged in, Monitor1 simply doesnt work. Now I have to contact Denon.. again.. i did have an epiphany this weekend.. I am going to buy a Yamaha and replace this POS... This has been the worst investment in audio equipment i ever made. HDMI switching issues ALL THE TIME. How would you like a home theater where you have to pull the plugs out and put them back in to make it work.. or turn off all the settings that MAY be affecting it. or removing the projector from an output because, well, its connected.. or turn it off and disconnect everything,,, well, because thats how you have to do it.. NO.. i am not dealing with this crap any more.. I am shooting this POS .. and taking slow motion of 30 caliber going through the case.. and then post on youtube.. stay tuned.. this is how i feel today.. if it comes to it, i'll post the video :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Take a moment. There may be some here willing to take it off of your hands. Before making another purchase, research the receiver and make sure it does everything you want it to do out of the box. If not, move on to something else. Your priority is to have Main/Monitor 1 and Sub/Monitor 2 HDMI outputs that can be used together or one at a time with the push of a button on the remote control. Remember, output will be capped for the lesser monitor on some models so do your homework.

V

vfz

Audioholic Intern
frustrated of course.... so i did reset to factory and monitor 1 still does not work so maybe its a hardware issue. I do understand the capped issue. Both the projector and TV are 4K devices. I plugged in a 1080p TV by itself to monitor 1 after factor reset to make sure and it didnt work unless plugged into Monitor 2. The device is still under Denon warranty so i will use them to help before i shoot it.. unless of course i lose my self control on this. :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Did you try a different cable as well as a different TV?

V

vfz

Audioholic Intern
Did you try a different cable as well as a different TV?
Yes, i have a plethora of cables. Monitor 2 works no matter what i plug into it (as long as Monitor 1 is empty). I use the same cable into Monitor 1, nothing works, TV1, projector, TV2, etc. I have 5 TV's and 2 projectors in the theater so its easy for me to work out if its cable or device. I have a 4K and a 1080P projector and a 1 4K tv and 4 1080p TV's. I have Old, enhanced, 18gbps, and 48gbps fiber optic, HDMI cables. Although they all work, i am using 18 and 48 gbps cables and they all work on Monitor 2 as long as nothing is plugged into Monitor 1, otherwise the video blinks. When plugged into monitor 1 only, even after factory reset nothing comes out of it.

LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Junior Audioholic
Yeah sorry man, but if Monitor 1 (the 8k one that is the ONLY real reason to go with the 3700 over the 3600 as far as I know) can't even do a 4K signal at all, then there's clearly an issue. Hopefully they'll just take the return and give you your money back and not a refurb or repair order.

Good luck

V

vfz

Audioholic Intern
UPDATE FROM DENON SERVICE CENTER: HDMI BOARD FAILURE, they are now ordering a new one from DENON. (Under Warranty) ETA? TBD.

FYI, failed after a few months and bought brand new from Authorized Reseller.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
UPDATE FROM DENON SERVICE CENTER: HDMI BOARD FAILURE, they are now ordering a new one from DENON. (Under Warranty) ETA? TBD.

FYI, failed after a few months and bought brand new from Authorized Reseller.
That is not good. I think receivers in general are now a mess. I will make the pitch from now on for pre/pros and external amps. All those power amps DO NOT belong in the same box and running off the same power supply as all that sophisticated processing circuitry. That is just asking for trouble, and obviously people are getting it.

The other issue, is that you can, and should, run pre/pros off a carefully regulated supply. I can assure you the AC mains is not as good as people think, and prone to periodic voltage irregularities and quite nasty transient events from time to time. My UPS units cut in a take over on a significant number of occasions. Power amps on the other hand do not need, and should not be run off UPS units. Owning a receiver makes optimal system design and installation impossible.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That is not good. I think receivers in general are now a mess. I will make the pitch from now on for pre/pros and external amps. All those power amps DO NOT belong in the same box and running off the same power supply as all that sophisticated processing circuitry. That is just asking for trouble, and obviously people are getting it.

The other issue, is that you can, and should, run pre/pros off a carefully regulated supply. I can assure you the AC mains is not as good as people think, and prone to periodic voltage irregularities and quite nasty transient events from time to time. My UPS units cut in a take over on a significant number of occasions. Power amps on the other hand do not need, and should not be run off UPS units. Owning a receiver makes optimal system design and installation impossible.
Wow you think avrs are a mess ? What a surprise, don't think you've ever said such a thing repeatedly :) Your pre-pro kinda sucks, too, tho.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

Since last year, Denon and Marantz have been releasing receivers in the upper range series, with the possibility of using them in the preamp mode, while powering off the inboard power amps.
This feature helps prolonging their lives, and it was suggested by Gene. There is a good communication between the President and Sound United. That definitely is a pace in the good direction.

I now own a Denon AVR-X3700H receiver which I'm using as a pre-pro and have confidence in the open mindedness of the manufacturer. Even if it lasts only seven years, that is not much less than the life of some preamp-pros that cost a lot more, and don't even have some of the latest better performing DACs and other components found in new AVRs.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The most important feature and design criterion of any manufactured item is reliability. Peter Walker of Quad was obsessional about it. He was absolutely correct about that. Most of his output is believed to be still working and commanding high prices for decades old units.

Amir's nonsense is just that, and of zero consequence, in terms of audibility. It is nonsense that we have to tolerate this failure rate of AV electronics, and receivers in particular. Cars have highly reliable electronics. If not the manufacturers would be facing recalls and fines. Aircraft electronics and medical electronics are even more reliable. When it comes to it, the only significant reliability issues are with receivers. That is because delicate electronics is placed close to sources of heat.

So I do maintain that the design construct of receivers is deeply flawed. At the very least if a receiver is to be used as a pre pro, then the power amps should be able to be shut off. Frankly, I would prefer that that be on removable boards, so the amps not being used could be easily removed.

My advice is now stronger than ever to go the separates route.

I am using three pre/pros currently. Two have worked fine for 11 years, and the third for two. The latter got off to a rocky start from software bugs, which were corrected and it now works flawlessly. It also sounds magnificent.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Since last year, Denon and Marantz have been releasing receivers in the upper range series, with the possibility of using them in the preamp mode, while powering off the inboard power amps.
This feature helps prolonging their lives, and it was suggested by Gene. There is a good communication between the President and Sound United. That definitely is a pace in the good direction.

I now own a Denon AVR-X3700H receiver which I'm using as a pre-pro and have confidence in the open mindedness of the manufacturer. Even if it lasts only seven years, that is not much less than the life of some preamp-pros that cost a lot more, and don't even have some of the latest better performing DACs and other components found in new AVRs.
Are you using preamp mode? If so it must run a little cooler anyway.

D

Drbill3

Audiophyte
I purchased my Denon 3700h in April of 2021. Worked well for a year then first had trouble switching between video sources now will not emit sound or video. Magnolia(Best buy)came out and said I need to get a replacement. The 3700h had a 2year complete warranty. My salesman said the 3700h is discontinued and will need to pay more for a 3800h.

D

Drbill3

Audiophyte
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to write post here, I have been reading stuff here though. I have purchased Denon AVR-X3700H and it has been delivered on July 8th. I bought Klipsch RP-8000F and RP-504C to replace Paradigm Monitor V9 floor standing and CC-370 center. I am still using Paradigm Surround 3 for surrounds , Sonance in wall for atmos rear height speakers.

my observation so far is, Denon movie experience is way better than my previous Yamaha RX-A1020 but for music(stereo), I feel Yamaha is better.

I have observed few issues with this AVR and would like to get a confirmation from you that it is a defective piece so that I can return/replace it. No issues with sound as such but with video. l I have Apple TV 4K that I primarily use for streaming. First of all, sometimes when coming out of Apple TV+ and Amazon Prime shows/movies that there's little pop noise coming from my left surround later did extensive test and found that this pop noise is coming from my center , front left also, so, it is not speaker issue. (since my front stage is new I thought it maybe a speaker issue initially). Second, sometimes when I turn on receiver it is unable to send video signal from source to TV (I experienced this with my Apple TV, Xfinity xi6 box and blu ray player) meaning TV shows pop up saying "please connect to a source". When I switch inputs using Denon remote, then it is able to send video to TV. I know there will be lag when we switch inputs and screen can be blank but this is different, video completely not sent from AVR I think. And once or twice, while watching The Morning Show episode in Apple TV+, I pressed menu (to go back from show), TV screen turned blank and after few seconds TV said "please connect to a source". I am disappointed with my purchase.

I have called Denon support and tech support guy said there's some issue with the device/piece and asked me to return it. Anyone experienced this type of issue with Denon (I dont think so)...felt very bad to switch to Denon (primary reason is to upgrade to Atmos/DTSX AVR that is future proof (8K) ), I never had a single issue with my Yamaha.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Disclaimer: Please excuse me for my English and spelling mistakes.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis