Sub performance changes due to box shape.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Ok can we get back to my original post and performance based results instead of preferences due to money and such? This isn't about me saving a couple hundred bucks or going the cheapest route to make it happen. This is about the physical obstacles and what it will be when/if it's finished.
But that is where your inexperience is showing, as the design space available is a determining factor as to the most appropriate design and alignment. What we are about here is to help you with the best design possible for your space, and what it costs is what it costs. I can tell one thing for sure cobbling together a sub from parts scavenged form a commercial sub will not be the optimal solution, far from it.

L

LorenC

Enthusiast
But that is where your inexperience is showing, as the design space available is a determining factor as to the most appropriate design and alignment. What we are about here is to help you with the best design possible for your space, and what it costs is what it costs. I can tell one thing for sure cobbling together a sub from parts scavenged form a commercial sub will not be the optimal solution, far from it.
You folks can convince the wife this isn't the only space for a sub? lol More power to you. :)
So SVS cobbles their parts together?

L

LorenC

Enthusiast
Another reason to stay sealed is the increased size for a ported design.
I don't see where the restraints I have on space have anything to do with my inexperience. I do see where someone with your experience shouldn't be suggesting ported when I mention space limitations as the biggest factor though.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Do any of you have any experience with moving all the components from an existing sub into a custom made box with in this case adequate internal bracing and equal volume?
Yes, though the second enclosure was sourced from the manufacturer due to a defect in the original. It was a giant pain in the butt from what I recall; it’d be a lot easier to pick a driver from parts express like a Dayton Ultimax and model with free software. Basically you enter the parameters from their site into the software, and the software spits out the volume for a given system Q.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You folks can convince the wife this isn't the only space for a sub? lol More power to you. :)
So SVS cobbles their parts together?
No, but you will have, by the time you have finished with this project!

I am used to WAF. That just means you have to be more creative.

100% WAV directed project.

Left, right, center and TL sub.

Wife not only happy, but thrilled. Happy wife:Happy life!

The overriding request, actually order: - "No boxes to take up any floor space!"

L

LorenC

Enthusiast
Yes, though the second enclosure was sourced from the manufacturer due to a defect in the original. It was a giant pain in the butt from what I recall; it’d be a lot easier to pick a driver from parts express like a Dayton Ultimax and model with free software. Basically you enter the parameters from their site into the software, and the software spits out the volume for a given system Q.
Am I reading this right that essentially you swapped everything from a defective sub into a new box of the same model?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As to the taking of a nicely built commercial box and swapping components, that's just a waste of a box and much of your expenditure (and likely no one would buy the emptied box). Much easier to pick your own driver and amp and build your own sub (and the amp can go in the rack with your other gear rather than be on the sub itself)....and building two diy subs can be very cost effective (using a single two ch amp) as well as having other advantages over a single sub.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Am I reading this right that essentially you swapped everything from a defective sub into a new box of the same model?
The original box was blemished, so I got a new one and moved the components over myself. The box was a bit different though. Curved sides and all that jazz vs a plain black box. Same internal volume, different shape.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Another reason to stay sealed is the increased size for a ported design.
I don't see where the restraints I have on space have anything to do with my inexperience. I do see where someone with your experience shouldn't be suggesting ported when I mention space limitations as the biggest factor though.
Right now I have no idea of the space we are talking about, to advise on the most appropriate design. I can not imagine your space. So please provide pictures and a rudimentary sketch of what you roughly envisage.

At the moment you seem to be looking for reinforcement for your poor concept, and closed to finding the best functional. practical and aesthetic solution. No amount of persuading from you is going to persuade us your plan is a good idea, because it isn't.

L

LorenC

Enthusiast
Right now I have no idea of the space we are talking about, to advise on the most appropriate design. I can not imagine your space. So please provide pictures and a rudimentary sketch of what you roughly envisage.

At the moment you seem to be looking for reinforcement for your poor concept, and closed to finding the best functional. practical and aesthetic solution. No amount of persuading from you is going to persuade us your plan is a good idea, because it isn't.
Not looking for reinforcement at all. I asked,
"Do any of you have any experience with moving all the components from an existing sub into a custom made box with adequate internal bracing and equal volume?"
Looking for technical data on what the results will be. You mentioned being able to plan a sub down to the knats ass on specs but seem to be very against the outcome of doing this. And so far nobody has mentioned they have actually done what I asked, to test the results. I'm not some kid with a ricer car just throwing parts around with the biggest spec numbers I can find.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
"Do any of you have any experience with moving all the components from an existing sub into a custom made box with adequate internal bracing and equal volume?"
Looking for technical data on what the results will be. You mentioned being able to plan a sub down to the knats ass on specs but seem to be very against the outcome of doing this. And so far nobody has mentioned they have actually done what I asked, to test the results. I'm not some kid with a ricer car just throwing parts around with the biggest spec numbers I can find.
So far your proposal sounds more like a kid with a car sub situation, tho. Just design/build your own, buy the needed components.

L

LorenC

Enthusiast

Sorry, but I haven't asked you to put any effort into design and advising.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The answer to your question is a resounding NO!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
And so far nobody has mentioned they have actually done what I asked, to test the results.
Because it just doesn’t make any sense to do this. We are two pages deep trying to explain that there is zero value to this idea. You won’t get as good a driver as you otherwise could, you won’t have the luxury of tuning the system to its best performance because you can’t access the Amp DSP, and you will be wasting the old cabinet.
I understand you think you are outsmarting the system, but you aren’t.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Looking for technical data on what the results will be.
Theoretically the performance ought to be the same, assuming you avoid standing wave issues and the like. Given the size we’re talking about, I don’t expect that to be a major issue.

Practically speaking, you walk a fine line. You have to get that internal volume right, since SVS is programming their limiters accordingly in the amp. Extra volume risks damage. And you can be sure your warranty will be voided with the swap.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Theoretically the performance ought to be the same, assuming you avoid standing wave issues and the like. Given the size we’re talking about, I don’t expect that to be a major issue.

Practically speaking, you walk a fine line. You have to get that internal volume right, since SVS is programming their limiters accordingly in the amp. Extra volume risks damage. And you can be sure your warranty will be voided with the swap.
You make a good point when looking at the size of the SB1000 Pro... it is basically a 13x13" square... 14.76" deep. How much internal space is needed for the Amp is a curious question...

But it is really not worth the cost to build a new cabinet to just save an inch, if that will even work without knowledge about how much space the Amp takes.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis