Alex Jones Infowars lawsuit

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/05/media/alex-jones-punitive-damages-sandy-hook/index.html

Today, a jury in Austin, TX fined Alex Jones, founder of Infowars, $45.2 million in punitive damages to Scarlet Lewis and Neil Heslin, parents of one of the Sandy Hook (Connecticut) Elementary School shooting victims, Jesse Lewis. Yesterday, the same jury awarded them $4.1 million as compensatory damages for Jones's repeated 'hoax' broadcasts.

The total of $49.3 million in compensatory and punitive damages is less than a third of the $150 million total that the family was seeking in their lawsuit, and it remains to be seen how much of the punitive damages the parents will ultimately receive as Texas laws cap such awards.

A forensic accountant (Bernard Pettingill) testified today that Jones might have a net worth somewhere between $135 million and $270 million. Pettingill said that Jones used a series of shell companies and two recent loans to make it appear that he was broke when in fact he wasn't. Jones had claimed that a fine of more than $2 million would financially ruin him.

The judge had previously ruled that Jones was guilty* by default because he repeatedly refused to provide records and evidence demanded by the plaintiffs. In essence, Jones lost by forfeit. Beyond that, he clearly has committed perjury. (* Is guilty the right legal term for a defendant who looses a lawsuit? @Mr._Clark ?)

I've been waiting all day for this news. I only hope that these damages do silence Jones forever.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Too bad they couldn't simply clean him out. What a POS he is....
He's been such a prolific & damaging liar that I long for a good time machine. Then a POS like that could be sent back to times when he would be sentenced to the pillory – and be subjected to public humiliation & further physical abuse.
1659796633577.png

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Can someone explain to me why his "accidentally" leaked phone data is asked by Jan 6th committee?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Can someone explain to me why his "accidentally" leaked phone data is asked by Jan 6th committee?
First, it was his lawyer that leaked it and that I chalk down to gross incompetence as his career as a lawyer is essentially over.

Second, the Jan 6th committee is interested in his involvement and have been so for quite some time. Apparently the committee has much of this already but for sure wants it all to verify and even find new things or corroborate other evidence.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Jones was a central player on January 6. He was at the rally before the riot though he did not storm the Capitol. The Infowars founder testified virtually before the January 6 committee earlier this year, but he said he repeatedly asserted his Fifth Amendment right to remain silent during the interview.
As far as that leak being "accidental", Jones should be asking himself "with defense attorneys like mine, who needs prosecutors?"

Of course, Jones cooked his own goose without help from his 10-man legal team. He repeatedly lied under oath, committing perjury often enough for the judge to interrupt his testimony to ask if he understood what perjury meant.

As Dave Barry used to say: "I swear you can't make up stuff this good."

A cynic would tempted to say that Jones's inept defense was meant as path to appeal his loss by default :rolleyes:. In Texas, who knows what could come next? ;)

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
First, it was his lawyer that leaked it and that I chalk down to gross incompetence as his career as a lawyer is essentially over.

Second, the Jan 6th committee is interested in his involvement and have been so for quite some time. Apparently the committee has much of this already but for sure wants it all to verify and even find new things or corroborate other evidence.
Thanks for the reply, but I still miss the link between Alex Jones and Jan 6th events. Any info into what specifically this link is?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

As far as that leak being "accidental", Jones should be asking himself "with defense attorneys like mine, who needs prosecutors?"

Of course, Jones cooked his own goose without help from his 10-man legal team. He repeatedly lied under oath, committing perjury often enough for the judge to interrupt his testimony to ask if he understood what perjury meant.

As Dave Barry used to say: "I swear you can't make up stuff this good."

A cynic would tempted to say that Jones's inept defense was meant as path to appeal his loss by default :rolleyes:. In Texas, who knows what could come next? ;)
I know I'm slightly derailing the thread, but again, my question isn't how or why Alex Jones or his lawyers helped him dig his own legal grave, but what exactly do Jan 6th events have to do with AJ?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the reply, but I still miss the link between Alex Jones and Jan 6th events. Any info into what specifically this link is?
Here is a recent one dated August 4, 2022, but Alex Jones name has popped up now and then in connection with the violent insurrection and storming of the Capitol. Bold added.

>>>...Last month, the House Jan. 6 committee showed graphic and violent text messages and played videos of right-wing figures, including Jones, and others vowing that Jan. 6 would be the day they would fight for Trump.

The Jan. 6 committee first subpoenaed Jones in November, demanding a deposition and documents related to his efforts to spread misinformation about the 2020 election and a rally on the day of the attack.

In the subpoena letter, Rep. Bennie Thompson, the Democratic chairman, said Jones helped organize the Jan. 6 rally at the Ellipse that preceded the insurrection. He also wrote that Jones repeatedly promoted Trump's false claims of election fraud, urged his listeners to go to Washington for the rally, and march from the Ellipse to the Capitol. Thompson also wrote that Jones "made statements implying that you had knowledge about the plans of President Trump with respect to the rally."...<<<

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
@BoredSysAdmin

I though this would answer your question. Here it is again, without any of the other stuff. I don't see this a thread derail at all. It shows that Infowars & Jones may have also been involved in planning & fund raising prior to the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol.
The quote below is from that CNN article.
Jones was a central player on January 6. He was at the rally before the riot though he did not storm the Capitol. The Infowars founder testified virtually before the January 6 committee earlier this year, but he said he repeatedly asserted his Fifth Amendment right to remain silent during the interview.
In his above post, Trell provided an NPR link with quotes.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
He's been such a prolific & damaging liar that I long for a good time machine. Then a POS like that could be sent back to times when he would be sentenced to the pillory – and be subjected to public humiliation & further physical abuse.
View attachment 57182
Altho seems to me his demeanor might well fit right in with governance/policing from that era (as well as the current style of rage right wingers who get all charged up from radio/tv broadcasts along the lines of his, truth be damned).

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
About two years' worth of text messages Alex Jone's phone have been turned over to the House select committee investigating the January 6 insurrection, a person familiar with the matter told CNN on Monday.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/08/politics/alex-jones-january-6/index.html

This article said:
Jones was a central player on January 6. He was on restricted US Capitol grounds that day, riling up protesters, though he did not enter the building itself. He has rejected any suggestion that he was involved in the planning of violence, and claims he tried to prevent people at the Capitol from breaking the law.

Jones testified before the January 6 committee earlier this year, but he later said on his show that he repeatedly asserted his Fifth Amendment right to remain silent during the closed-door deposition.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
About two years' worth of text messages Alex Jone's phone have been turned over to the House select committee investigating the January 6 insurrection, a person familiar with the matter told CNN on Monday.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/08/politics/alex-jones-january-6/index.html

This article said:
That was quick! I watched a clip of the victims parents lawyer that the Jones lawyer had not protested against giving the committee those texts, as I recall it. This was in front of the judge in this case.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting analysis in regards to what happened with the texts

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes, it seems the phone records cover the Jan 6 period and before so it may contain damaging evidence of his and possibly others.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Alex Jones ordered to pay $965 million to Sandy Hook families
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/10/12/alex-jones-sandy-hook-verdict/

A Connecticut jury ordered Infowars founder Alex Jones to pay $965 million in damages to the families of eight victims of the Sandy Hook shooting for the suffering caused by years of lies that the massacre was a hoax.

The Connecticut case is one of three defamation suits filed against Jones by relatives of the victims, who have said that they hope to prevent other families from enduring similar abuse.

During this trial, Jones refused to share crucial evidence with the plaintiffs – including financial records and data on traffic to his websites – in violation of his legal obligations. Judge Barbara Bellis entered a default judgment against him holding him liable for defamation. The jury’s only task, Bellis said as deliberations began, was to determine “the extent of the harm.”

The size of the damages is a sign that jurors found a defendant’s conduct particularly reprehensible and harmful – and as a way of deterring future wrongdoing.

In August, a jury in a different case in Texas said Jones must pay nearly $50 million to the parents of Jesse Lewis, a six-year-old killed in Sandy Hook. The actual payout, however, will be far smaller due to Texas limits on such awards.

Apparently in Connecticut, there are no such limits.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So uh, how is he going to pay that? He deserves to pay every bit of it.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Alex Jones ordered to pay $965 million to Sandy Hook families
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/10/12/alex-jones-sandy-hook-verdict/

A Connecticut jury ordered Infowars founder Alex Jones to pay $965 million in damages to the families of eight victims of the Sandy Hook shooting for the suffering caused by years of lies that the massacre was a hoax.

The Connecticut case is one of three defamation suits filed against Jones by relatives of the victims, who have said that they hope to prevent other families from enduring similar abuse.

During this trial, Jones refused to share crucial evidence with the plaintiffs – including financial records and data on traffic to his websites – in violation of his legal obligations. Judge Barbara Bellis entered a default judgment against him holding him liable for defamation. The jury’s only task, Bellis said as deliberations began, was to determine “the extent of the harm.”

The size of the damages is a sign that jurors found a defendant’s conduct particularly reprehensible and harmful – and as a way of deterring future wrongdoing.

In August, a jury in a different case in Texas said Jones must pay nearly $50 million to the parents of Jesse Lewis, a six-year-old killed in Sandy Hook. The actual payout, however, will be far smaller due to Texas limits on such awards.

Apparently in Connecticut, there are no such limits.
Jones famously said "I'm done apologizing!" a few weeks ago. I remember thinking at the time "Maybe, but you're done paying."

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis