RBH Sound Owner's Thread

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Another fun project. Picked up a beautiful pair of RBH 1261. Spent some time testing different drivers. Ended up using a mc300 12” woofer, 6.5” cast frame mid and reference tweeter. Very pleased with the performance.
Nice!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
All from the wicked mind of Shane Rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah hes incredible at his craft was super helpful to me after my purchases as well. Some of his technical advice was so helpful to me in setting up my room. They're customer service is some of the best in the business

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
A good way to fight boredom. Had a passive sub cabinet hanging about, so I made a shim that allows me to put a RBH 12” Reference in (had a 14”). If it tests out well, I’ll make a pretty one. Initial testing removed pics from the wall & cats from the room.

Ports about right but may have a bit too much volume. I’ll put a mic on it next week. The other test sub is a 1010-SEN/R. Amp is a RBH SA-400.

Attachments

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
All from the wicked mind of Shane Rich.

I’ve done weeks long comparisons between the gold standard of studio Monitors, a JBL 4412 (ported) against the RBH’s professional monitor (sealed). Rotel amps/preamp used. Hands down, no comparison. The RBH sent the JBL to storage. It’s extremely flat response (mic tested) clarity, dynamic punch. This is a gorgeous sounding speaker. I’ve paired them with a 1010-SEN/Reference sub (SA-400 amp)The new batman car chase scene scared the living hell out of

the spouse.

My vote…RBH needs to make this speaker again.

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
I also think that ACTIVELY controlling the BASS of the T2, SVT, or any Full-Range Tower is better than PASSIVELY powering the full-range tower as a "single speaker". :D

The reason is because the bass amount changes from content to content. It's much easier to just turn the BASS volume up and down, instead of messing with tone controls or EQ.

The beauty with the RBH Signature towers (like the SVTR) with built-in crossover for the bass is that you can still actively control the bass by removing the metal jumpers and using a separate amp to power the bass like a subwoofer.
What he said.

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
Which RBH do you own if you don't mind me asking?
I'm building a custom home theater in the new house and RBH is in my final selection for speakers down to 3 brands so I would love to hear more experiences from owners
I’ve two large RBH based systems. My main theater has SV-T2/R, SV-6100c/R and two 770/R in the rear. I upgraded the Scan Speak to their newer AMT (a lot of tweeters to change). The upgrade was incredible and I highly recommend. The scan speak is my fav silk dome, but it’s worth it to update them. The T2 crossovers (also used in the 6100) do not need tweaking for the new tweeters. I added a small resistor to the 770 to tone the AMT back a touch.

My 7.2 system is their older classic series with upgraded 6.5” & 4” reference woofers (I got the last 4”), and the Scan Speak tweeters from my other system replaced the Vifa. My front L/R is the last pair of Shane’s passive Studio Monitors featuring the cast frame 12”, 6.5” mid and their AMT. The crossovers have two dip switches for tweaking. Words fail me.

My 770 and 441 have the optional wall mount brackets so they look very clean.
Not a lot of money spent for the sound I get. Their older systems still kill it with a few updates.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Question for those who have the SV-661WR on-wall speakers. What would you think of these for LCRs? (with the center mounted horizontal, and with the tweeter rotated 90 degrees).

I do not have room for floor standing speakers for one of my systems, and I've been thinking about an upgrade. Right now, this system has Aperion in-wall LCR speakers. They are okay for what I paid, but they are not close to decent towers (basically, I'm trying to get close to decent towers with on-wall or in-wall speakers)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Question for those who have the SV-661WR on-wall speakers. What would you think of these for LCRs? (with the center mounted horizontal, and with the tweeter rotated 90 degrees).

I do not have room for floor standing speakers for one of my systems, and I've been thinking about an upgrade. Right now, this system has Aperion in-wall LCR speakers. They are okay for what I paid, but they are not close to decent towers (basically, I'm trying to get close to decent towers with on-wall or in-wall speakers)
@Danzilla31 has the SV-661W.

@flyboylr45 has the SV-661WR.

One of my friends have the SV-661WR in front 3 with the Horizontal Center.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

The SV661W I own I have 4 are for my surrounds in the theater. And they are absolute overkill. They sound wonderful. I have had towers in all 7 positions that couldn't perform to there level they are more then capable to work as a L C R as an on wall option

And that's the step down option The SV 661WR are a step up. Mounted horizontally should work just fine as long as you rotate the tweeter like you said and are sitting within a good response axis due to the MTM

S

smozi

Enthusiast
Hi everybody! This is my first post here and I'm quite ignorant of many things so please forgive me. Yesterday I purchased a pair of RBH SV-6500R speakers from a gentleman off of Craigslist. They are truly amazing speakers, well out of my price range normally and I'm sure I'm set for life. However, I'm now looking for a new center (and surrounds, but the center is more important) as my current center (Jamo S 83) is just not in the same league and badly mismatched. RBH center speakers seem to be out of production currently and new would be out of my budget anyways.

My specific question is, is there a ~$6-700 center speaker option that would pair well with these towers? Visually would be nice as well but probably not achievable (the towers are rosewood). Or, what sort of general characteristics should I be looking for in this search that would ensure I have a good result? I do have a size constraint, the center would need to be under 21" wide and under 9" tall.

Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks all.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hi everybody! This is my first post here and I'm quite ignorant of many things so please forgive me. Yesterday I purchased a pair of RBH SV-6500R speakers from a gentleman off of Craigslist. They are truly amazing speakers, well out of my price range normally and I'm sure I'm set for life. However, I'm now looking for a new center (and surrounds, but the center is more important) as my current center (Jamo S 83) is just not in the same league and badly mismatched. RBH center speakers seem to be out of production currently and new would be out of my budget anyways.

My specific question is, is there a ~$6-700 center speaker option that would pair well with these towers? Visually would be nice as well but probably not achievable (the towers are rosewood). Or, what sort of general characteristics should I be looking for in this search that would ensure I have a good result? I do have a size constraint, the center would need to be under 21" wide and under 9" tall.

Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks all.

S

smozi

Enthusiast
Thanks for those! Unfortunately my receiver only can do 4 ohms for the front speakers, 6 ohms for other speakers; the 661-SV in that listing says 4 ohms. It also has a very noticeable typo on the rear plaque ("Seial No." instead of "Serial No.") so I question if it is an authentic unit or not. Also as far as I can tell the model for the center should be SV-661C instead of 661-SV, and the specifications for this do not seem to match what is on RBH's website. So I am dubious of this listing.

So again given the difficulty in finding these - also don't want to pick up a single satellite if I won't be able to find a second one - I am wondering what other options are out there that would still match with the towers.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for those! Unfortunately my receiver only can do 4 ohms for the front speakers, 6 ohms for other speakers; the 661-SV in that listing says 4 ohms. It also has a very noticeable typo on the rear plaque ("Seial No." instead of "Serial No.") so I question if it is an authentic unit or not. Also as far as I can tell the model for the center should be SV-661C instead of 661-SV, and the specifications for this do not seem to match what is on RBH's website. So I am dubious of this listing.

So again given the difficulty in finding these - also don't want to pick up a single satellite if I won't be able to find a second one - I am wondering what other options are out there that would still match with the towers.
What about the bookshelf that I linked? Also, you can call RBH if you ever have a question, their customer service is great.

What AVR do you have and do you use a sub?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I'm curious why can your avr only do 6 ohms for the center. Most decent avrs can drive 4 ohm speakers as long as the listening levels aren't too high and the speaker doesn't have a difficult part of the frequency that needs to be driven.

Listening distance room size can all be factors as well but it usually boils down to volume level and exactly how hard the speaker is too drive

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Do you a specific budget limit for the center?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

And congratulations!!! Good score on those towers!

S

smozi

Enthusiast
I'm curious why can your avr only do 6 ohms for the center. Most decent avrs can drive 4 ohm speakers as long as the listening levels aren't too high and the speaker doesn't have a difficult part of the frequency that needs to be driven.

Listening distance room size can all be factors as well but it usually boils down to volume level and exactly how hard the speaker is too drive
It may very well be fine, that's true. And it isn't a large room, no. The receiver is a Yamaha TSR-700, not that high-end maybe but it works great for me. Maybe I will reach out to RBH to ask if they can validate the authenticity of that speaker in the listing.

What about the bookshelf that I linked?
That seemed fine, but I just want to avoid getting one and not being able to find the matching second.

Do you a specific budget limit for the center?
Under $700 would be great but I could stretch if needed. I got the towers for $2k and am very happy with what that got me. In general for centers, I have trouble hearing dialogue in movies a lot of the time but at the same time bright speakers really wear on me quickly.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It may very well be fine, that's true. And it isn't a large room, no. The receiver is a Yamaha TSR-700, not that high-end maybe but it works great for me. Maybe I will reach out to RBH to ask if they can validate the authenticity of that speaker in the listing.

That seemed fine, but I just want to avoid getting one and not being able to find the matching second.

Under $700 would be great but I could stretch if needed. I got the towers for $2k and am very happy with what that got me. In general for centers, I have trouble hearing dialogue in movies a lot of the time but at the same time bright speakers really wear on me quickly.
Okay I'll do some digging also contact RBH and see if they have suggestions for a matching center the guys at RBH are AWESOME with there customer service

S

smozi

Enthusiast
RBH confirmed that center speaker listing on eBay is legit :) so that's one problem solved! Thanks all.

... and then they reached out again to say they have a B-stock rosewood cabinet they could build up for me! Will have to weigh the cost but their customer service is indeed excellent.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis