First build, I'm new into hi-fi audio looking for advice.

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
Hi,

I purchased the Sony STRDH590 today, my room is about 1500 cubic feet. I'm looking for a 2.1 configuration but I don't know what to get, budget is limited since this is my first time.

I like big powerful sound.

I'm thinking about floor standing speakers

Usecase: For movies only, (110" projector screen)

Attached is a pic of my room.

Can someone help me?

Notes: Can't buy used, can only buy on Amazon.

Attachments

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi,

I purchased the Sony STRDH590 today, my room is about 1500 cubic feet. I'm looking for a 2.1 configuration but I don't know what to get, budget is limited since this is my first time.

I like big powerful sound.

I'm thinking about floor standing speakers

Usecase: For movies only, (110" projector screen)

Attached is a pic of my room.

Can someone help me?

Notes: Can't buy used, can only buy on Amazon.
Hard to help you without an actual number for a budget. When you say limited, what is that? $500? $1000? The options open up considerably when you are able to spend more.

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
Hard to help you without an actual number for a budget. When you say limited, what is that? $500? $1000? The options open up considerably when you are able to spend more.
Sorry, I didn't mention the budget, I already spent $298 on the receiver so that would leave me with around $600 for the speakers and the sub, I can extend a little if needed.

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
$600 is not a lot for both tower speakers and a sub.

My advice would be to buy a couple of these Monoprice Encore towers while they are on sale. Their bass output and extension are very good, and you will need need a subwoofer with them. Here is a review.
What are your thoughts about these?

Sony SSCS3 or the Klipsch Synergy Black Label F-200

And for the sub Klipsch R-12SW 12"

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What are your thoughts about these?

Sony SSCS3 or the Klipsch Synergy Black Label F-200

And for the sub Klipsch R-12SW 12"
The Monoprice Encore speakers would be much superior to those speakers. The Klipsch sub would have more output in bass than the Monoprice speakers, but the Monoprice Encore speakers would probably have better sounding bass. The Sony STR receiver isn't going to be very sophisticated with subwoofer integration, and my guess is that you don't want to spring for a complicated microphone measurement system, so I would skip any single sub system when you could get the Monoprice speakers.

If you wanted to do something a little fun and crazy, you might try this: get two of these Dayton 12" subs and a pair of some Encore bookshelf speakers. Use the subs as speaker stands for the Encores. That should act like some tower speakers with a formidable bass section. If you really want to have some fun, swap out the Encore bookshelf speakers and use their center speakers but oriented vertically- that way you would still have the headroom of the tower speakers but a more powerful bass section. If you want to go super bonkers, spring for a couple of the Dayton 15"s over the 12"s.

Keep in mind that I would only advise getting subs over the Encore towers if you are able to get two subs. Like I said, you don't have much hope of integrating a single subwoofer well into a system within your budget and your AVR. But if you go with dual subs and locate each with a standmount speaker, they act like tower speakers, and integrating the subs will be a lot easier to achieve a good sound.

djtetei

djtetei

Audiophyte
Given your limited budget, I would advice you to take a look at Magnat Monitor Supreme series (Supreme 2002 recommended). It's a good entry level option with posibility to upgrade, without braking your bank account.
Alternatively, with a little patience and effort, you may want to explore putting together a complete KRK system, because you will not be disappointed at all with the sound and its versatility. It will put a big smile on your face every time the two of you will get together!
Ultimately, it is up to you how much you can or want to invest in your audio system and what you want to accomplish.

Last edited:
S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
The Monoprice Encore speakers would be much superior to those speakers. The Klipsch sub would have more output in bass than the Monoprice speakers, but the Monoprice Encore speakers would probably have better sounding bass. The Sony STR receiver isn't going to be very sophisticated with subwoofer integration, and my guess is that you don't want to spring for a complicated microphone measurement system, so I would skip any single sub system when you could get the Monoprice speakers.

If you wanted to do something a little fun and crazy, you might try this: get two of these Dayton 12" subs and a pair of some Encore bookshelf speakers. Use the subs as speaker stands for the Encores. That should act like some tower speakers with a formidable bass section. If you really want to have some fun, swap out the Encore bookshelf speakers and use their center speakers but oriented vertically- that way you would still have the headroom of the tower speakers but a more powerful bass section. If you want to go super bonkers, spring for a couple of the Dayton 15"s over the 12"s.

Keep in mind that I would only advise getting subs over the Encore towers if you are able to get two subs. Like I said, you don't have much hope of integrating a single subwoofer well into a system within your budget and your AVR. But if you go with dual subs and locate each with a standmount speaker, they act like tower speakers, and integrating the subs will be a lot easier to achieve a good sound.
I'd like to keep it simple since I'm so new at this, something I can plug and play like the tower speakers you recommended, I'm curious about what you say regarding the STR receiver not going well with a single subwoofer integration, why is that?

I see you recommended 2 subwoofers, I'm down for that but at the beginning, I would have to start with just one and get the second later on.

I understand the Monoprice Encore speakers have good bass, but since this is gonna be used only for movies I would like something that could shake my furniture.

By the way, about the tower speakers that are rear ported, is there an issue if they're not against a wall in the back part? in my case they would have to go in front of my desk, a bit sided to the wall. (see the picture on my first post)

Unfurtenately I can only make purchases on Amazon, today is Prime-day you see anything I could use there? (for tower speakers and sub)

Seems like I will have to increase the budget, what about $900?

I also want to thank you for your help, this is the first site where I get solid responses, I'm so helpless.

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
Given your limited budget, I would advice you to take a look at Magnat Monitor Supreme series (Supreme 2002 recommended). It's a good entry level option with posibility to upgrade, without braking your bank account.
Alternatively, with a little patience and effort, you may want to explore putting together a complete KRK system, because you will not be disappointed at all with the sound and its versatility. It will put a big smile on your face every time the two of you will get together!
Ultimately, it is up to you how much you can or want to invest in your audio system and what you want to accomplish.
I decided to increase the budget to $900 but I can only buy on Amazon, what do you think? I'm used to big bass, I'm pretty sure is not a good quality bass (see the picture of my first post) but I'm used to it.

Just a reminder this is not gonna be used for music, just movies.

djtetei

djtetei

Audiophyte
Just a reminder this is not gonna be used for music, just movies.
What difference does it make? Keep in mind that movies also have music soundtracks.
Anyway, I think that Magnat Monitor Supreme 2002 will be a good starting point for you (price - performance ratio), offering good low end frequency response on their own. You can try the floorstanders on their own, at first, in your room space and, afterwards, if you still feel the need for a subwoofer, you can add it to you system.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Wow. Amazon has every piece of no-name electronic/speakers that they offer on sale for prime day. I don’t see anything on sale worth recommending. Could someone post a link to better gear on sale ?

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
Wow. Amazon has every piece of no-name electronic/speakers that they offer on sale for prime day. I don’t see anything on sale worth recommending. Could someone post a link to better gear on sale ?
Well, it doesn't have to be in sale right now, I can wait for a price drop on Amazon, I have a plugin that alerts you when there's a price drop for the desired item.

I'll save the AV receiver and wait for a deal but I'd like to know what to buy or have options.

Thanks in advance!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
SVS sub and a pair of prime speakers. Should hit your $900 budget. The bookshelf is more on Amazon vs. directly on SVS site, but you can use Amazon pay to buy on SVS's site:

The PB1000 older version is $499 and looks available on Amazon, but the PB1000 Pro, the newer one is $799 and that would push your budget higher. The SB1000 Pro (sealed) is $599, right around your budget, but won't dig as deep as the PB1000s.

I would probably actually go with the PB1000 Pro and Sony SSCS5 bookshelf which look to be on sale for $178 right now. They have been favorably reviewed a number of times for the price and they definitely fit the budget.

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
SVS sub and a pair of prime speakers. Should hit your $900 budget. The bookshelf is more on Amazon vs. directly on SVS site, but you can use Amazon pay to buy on SVS's site:

The PB1000 older version is $499 and looks available on Amazon, but the PB1000 Pro, the newer one is $799 and that would push your budget higher. The SB1000 Pro (sealed) is $599, right around your budget, but won't dig as deep as the PB1000s.

I would probably actually go with the PB1000 Pro and Sony SSCS5 bookshelf which look to be on sale for $178 right now. They have been favorably reviewed a number of times for the price and they definitely fit the budget.
What about tower speakers? I don't know if bookshelf speakers are for me, especially because I don't have where to put them, I would have to get a wall mount like this one: https://prnt.sc/DxUFHJj_x300 and put them on the side walls

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, the downside of bookshelf speakers is you need a stand or place to put them, but they still generally cost less than a tower. If it means you get a better sub, it starts you off with a better foundation to build on because a lesser sub quickly becomes the weak point. With a good sub, you can get away with a bookshelf and the overall power requirement for them is lower than for a similar tower, which means you can get away with a lower powered receiver.

I would take a decent bookshelf/sub setup over an average tower and cheaper sub every time. If you want to go with towers, I'd just get better towers and skip the sub for now.

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, the downside of bookshelf speakers is you need a stand or place to put them, but they still generally cost less than a tower. If it means you get a better sub, it starts you off with a better foundation to build on because a lesser sub quickly becomes the weak point. With a good sub, you can get away with a bookshelf and the overall power requirement for them is lower than for a similar tower, which means you can get away with a lower powered receiver.

I would take a decent bookshelf/sub setup over an average tower and cheaper sub every time. If you want to go with towers, I'd just get better towers and skip the sub for now.
I understand, I think I can make it work with side wall mounts then, what other options are available for subwoofers from other brands?

What about kplisch bookshelfs and subs?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think Shady here reviewed one of the 15" Klipsch subs and said it was pretty good: https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/klipsch-sw-115-pre For a starter system, the Klipsch 12" sub would work fine, especially if you get it on sale. I won't tell you it will suck, because it won't, but I also won't tell you it will perform as well as an SVS, HSU, Rythmik. Rythmik and HSU both used to have a good inexpensive sub, but these days things cost more and they tend to drop the lower models. RSL seems to be the one looking for that budget market right now but the new one is already sold out; if you can wait that's a good choice.

The big names generally don't compete as well as the established internet brands when it comes to subs. When they do, they tend to cost more to achieve comparable performance or you have to buy the higher, pricier model. Internet brands don't have the overhead of a big company so you get more for your $$$.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'd like to keep it simple since I'm so new at this, something I can plug and play like the tower speakers you recommended, I'm curious about what you say regarding the STR receiver not going well with a single subwoofer integration, why is that?

I see you recommended 2 subwoofers, I'm down for that but at the beginning, I would have to start with just one and get the second later on.

I understand the Monoprice Encore speakers have good bass, but since this is gonna be used only for movies I would like something that could shake my furniture.

By the way, about the tower speakers that are rear ported, is there an issue if they're not against a wall in the back part? in my case they would have to go in front of my desk, a bit sided to the wall. (see the picture on my first post)

Unfurtenately I can only make purchases on Amazon, today is Prime-day you see anything I could use there? (for tower speakers and sub)

Seems like I will have to increase the budget, what about $900?

I also want to thank you for your help, this is the first site where I get solid responses, I'm so helpless.
The STR receiver is just going to do the basics as far as subwoofer integration is concerned, and that is level matching it with the speakers and getting it in phase with the speakers. It isn't likely to do a good job of EQing the response. In your situation, I don't see how it wouldn't make the sub annoyingly localizable, where all the bass sounds like it is coming from the subwoofer itself rather than the recording's soundstage. The way to defeat that is to get two subs and place them very close to the speakers. That makes them behave as full-range speakers rather than a sub/satellite system, so that it isn't easy to tell where the bass is coming from.

The Monoprice Encore speakers have truly good bass. You will need to spend a lot to actually top them. But they also have good mids and treble too. The other speakers you mentioned will not match them in dynamic range, nor will they be as linear or accurate. Those other speakers will not be able to get as loud or stay as clean at a high volume. What is more, to get a sub that would actually outperform the Encore towers, you will need to spend a good amount of money. I would say the Encores are perfect for your situation since they allow you to save money from buying a sub. Any single sub you could buy wouldn't be that much better if they are better at all.

The rear-porting will help you. As long as there is a little bit of room behind the speakers so that the ports are not completely blocked off (and this will likely be the case since you need to run wire to the back of the speakers), they will work fine. And for rear-ported speakers, if you place them close to a wall, it tends to boost the bass, so if you want big bass, the rear-porting is actually an advantage.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@sgtkahuna fwiw shadyj is this site's speaker/sub reviewer and has hands on experience with a lot of gear. His advice is gold (gold, Jerrry, gold! !). Some of the other avrs with setup/room eq programs can eq the sub along with setting up level/delays, Sony's DCAC isn't as involved as something like Audyssey in a few brands. Eq'g of lower bass is helpful particularly with the way typical smaller rooms (like in homes vs large venues) works.

S

sgtkahuna

Junior Audioholic
The STR receiver is just going to do the basics as far as subwoofer integration is concerned, and that is level matching it with the speakers and getting it in phase with the speakers. It isn't likely to do a good job of EQing the response. In your situation, I don't see how it wouldn't make the sub annoyingly localizable, where all the bass sounds like it is coming from the subwoofer itself rather than the recording's soundstage. The way to defeat that is to get two subs and place them very close to the speakers. That makes them behave as full-range speakers rather than a sub/satellite system, so that it isn't easy to tell where the bass is coming from.

The Monoprice Encore speakers have truly good bass. You will need to spend a lot to actually top them. But they also have good mids and treble too. The other speakers you mentioned will not match them in dynamic range, nor will they be as linear or accurate. Those other speakers will not be able to get as loud or stay as clean at a high volume. What is more, to get a sub that would actually outperform the Encore towers, you will need to spend a good amount of money. I would say the Encores are perfect for your situation since they allow you to save money from buying a sub. Any single sub you could buy wouldn't be that much better if they are better at all.

The rear-porting will help you. As long as there is a little bit of room behind the speakers so that the ports are not completely blocked off (and this will likely be the case since you need to run wire to the back of the speakers), they will work fine. And for rear-ported speakers, if you place them close to a wall, it tends to boost the bass, so if you want big bass, the rear-porting is actually an advantage.
Thanks for explaining, this is the only place where I could put them, is not near close to the wall, below the desk is gonna be an empty space and that party speaker will be gone, will this position cause problems? I believe they would have to be a bit angled I tried to make a perspective but failed miserably.

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis