The Audyssey MultEQ Editor app users thread (with facts and tips)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Wasn't there some controversy with the creator of ratbudyssey not having any receiver capable of running the App, and subbing out some programming to someone in Russia which went sour? Was that all sorted?
That I don't know about. I know the original author let the project fork and development continued, as far as to who continued the development I don't know.

I haven't updated my version in a bit so when I do I'll check to see who's doing what.

Redd Foxx

Redd Foxx

Audiophyte
Hello All, Newbie here who after reading forum after forum and video after video I am more confused than ever deciphering my Audyssey MultEQ Editor results and direction as to what to adjust on my curves to make improvements. Running Denon 6700H with simple 3.1 setup currently to figure out how to make adjustments before I expand my system. I disabled mid mid range correction and set crossover for LRC to 80hz per Def Tech. Problem is my bass went byby :(

Can anyone assist on how I can adjust my curves?
Also tried using ratbuddyssey but it crashes each time, does anyone have a link to a working download version?

First post here...any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Screenshot_20220614-134311_MultEQ.jpg

Screenshot_20220614-134304_MultEQ.jpg
Screenshot_20220614-134252_MultEQ.jpg
Screenshot_20220614-134320_MultEQ.jpg

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello All, Newbie here who after reading forum after forum and video after video I am more confused than ever deciphering my Audyssey MultEQ Editor results and direction as to what to adjust on my curves to make improvements. Running Denon 6700H with simple 3.1 setup currently to figure out how to make adjustments before I expand my system. I disabled mid mid range correction and set crossover for LRC to 80hz per Def Tech. Problem is my bass went byby :(

Can anyone assist on how I can adjust my curves?
Also tried using ratbuddyssey but it crashes each time, does anyone have a link to a working download version?

First post here...any advice would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 56535
View attachment 56536View attachment 56537View attachment 56538
I know the following version works very well for me:
Release Add reference curve and fix some more bugs (save file...) · LaserGuruGuy/ratbuddyssey · GitHub

Before you use it, I would suggest you read the first 25 pages of the following thread:

Announcing ratbuddyssey - a tool for tweaking Audyssey MultEQ app files | AVS Forum

Problem is my bass went byby
That could be because Audyssey uses a flat target curve for the bass range, so if you had any boosts in that range, say up to 200 Hz before, they would have been flattened..

To get the bass back, you can try using a tilted curve such as the following:
You can draw it with the app, but is much easier to do using Ratbuddyssey.

Audyssey Room EQ Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

1655292145383.png

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You really should use DEQ, so turn it on if you haven't yet and you may like it better.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
You really should use DEQ, so turn it on if you haven't yet and you may like it better.
And one can experiment with the Reference Level Offset to adjust the DEQ as Reference Level Offset of 0 can be too much for some types of content (like TV shows or music).

Too bad the Audyssey have not still added a Level Offset for the surrounds as I find them to be too loud for me in many cases.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
And one can experiment with the Reference Level Offset to adjust the DEQ as Reference Level Offset of 0 can be too much for some types of content (like TV shows or music).

Too bad the Audyssey have not still added a Level Offset for the surrounds as I find them to be too loud for me in many cases.
Agreed, but you can find a good balance by trial and error with the level trims especially if you use REW. I would probably tried -3 dB to start. It is not the best solution for sure.

Redd Foxx

Redd Foxx

Audiophyte
@PENG and @Trell Thank you both so much for helping me. Feel you guys are a wealth of knowledge and appreciate you time and input.

Based on your above suggestion can you tell me where I can adjust the Reference Level Offset?

Spent morning reading advised forum and have created a file using the method below

Am I on the right track here? I imported my modified ady file into the app but my curve editor shows no changes on my sub curve from the original vs the edited, any idea why? Do you think the changes I inserted below are just not refecting in the app curve visual?

"customTargetCurvePoints":["{20,1.220456}","{25.179,1.353375}","{31.698,1.569075}","{39.905,1.663675}","{50.238,1.646075}","{63.246,1.623975}","{79.621,1.623675}","{100.24,1.519175}","{126.19,1.393775}","{158.87,1.282875}","{200,1.083775}","{251.79,0.9441458}","{316.98,0.788089}","{399.05,0.618847}","{502.38,0.436185}","{632.46,0.149275}","{796.21,-0.07038}","{1002.4,-0.3572}","{1261.9,-0.61411}","{1588.7,-0.85528}","{2000,-1.07574}","{2517.9,-1.20775}","{3169.8,-1.57765}","{3990.5,-1.9679}","{5023.8,-2.19507}","{6324.6,-2.13725}","{7962.1,-1.9458}","{10024,-1.8619}","{12619,-1.5916}","{15887,-0.5182}","{20000,2.0094}"]

Original Curve
Screenshot_20220615-042641_MultEQ.jpg

Edited Curve from notepad changes
Screenshot_20220615-122218_MultEQ.jpg

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
@PENG and @Trell

Am I on the right track here? I imported my modified ady file into the app but my curve editor shows no changes on my sub curve from the original vs the edited, any idea why? Do you think the changes I inserted below are just not refecting in the app curve visual?
Yes you apparently did it right, being your first attempt, it is really well done! It is not visually significant because the changes you made were small. If you want to see it clearly, try entering larger numbers such as at 20 Hz, +5 dB, 30 Hz +3.5 dB, 40 Hz +3 dB, 50 Hz +2.5 dB, 60 Hz +2 dB, then for sure you will see the slope/tilt towards 20 Hz.

Once you get the curve done, send it to the AVR and listen for the effects. This is just for target curve customization. If you want to edit out some of the bumps and dips, you need to use REW to plot the actual response and then go from there.

Note that the changes will only be reflected in the reference curve. The flat curve cannot be edited.

Last edited:
PG55

PG55

Junior Audioholic
Hello,

I recently added a Parasound A23+ stereo amplifier to my Marantz SR7105. After calibrating with Audyssey it adjusted my left front speaker +9dB and front right +6dB. Prior to adding the amp the adjustments to my Monitor Audio Gold 200's were +1dB per side. This seems like a pretty hefty adjustment. I seem to remember seeing that Audyssey max adjustment is +9 so does that mean it is maxing out the gain and may even need more adjustment?

Thanks,

PG55

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Hello,

I recently added a Parasound A23+ stereo amplifier to my Marantz SR7105. After calibrating with Audyssey it adjusted my left front speaker +9dB and front right +6dB. Prior to adding the amp the adjustments to my Monitor Audio Gold 200's were +1dB per side. This seems like a pretty hefty adjustment. I seem to remember seeing that Audyssey max adjustment is +9 so does that mean it is maxing out the gain and may even need more adjustment?

Thanks,

PG55
Pretty sure the max adjustment is +/-12db, but that may vary from model to model. Even then, I always check mine with an SPL meter at the MLP just to make sure audyssey didn't decide to do something weird.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello,

I recently added a Parasound A23+ stereo amplifier to my Marantz SR7105. After calibrating with Audyssey it adjusted my left front speaker +9dB and front right +6dB. Prior to adding the amp the adjustments to my Monitor Audio Gold 200's were +1dB per side. This seems like a pretty hefty adjustment.
The A23+ has 29 dB gain according to the specs, that is very similar to that of the SR7015 so there should not be much difference, I would expect within 1 to 1.5 dB difference between the two, more than that would not be normal.

I would suggest you do the following, if not yet:

1) Set the gain control knobs on the A23+ to maximum for both left/right channels.
2) Se the balanced/unbalanced switch to "Unbalanced"

Assuming your SR7105 is actually SR7015, it does not have balanced output, that's why 2) should be done.

I seem to remember seeing that Audyssey max adjustment is +9 so does that mean it is maxing out the gain and may even need more adjustment?
No, that is not relevant.

PG55

PG55

Junior Audioholic
@PENG-Thanks! That did the trick. My measurements are back to +1 and +.05.

However I am still a bit confused as to the Marantz SR7015 sound modes when listening to HEOS in stereo. I am referring to Auto, Direct and Pure Direct.

As I understand it according to the manual Auto will play with the Audyssey calibration, DEQ and DV settings and subwoofers active.
Direct will play without the Audyssey settings and sub's are off.
Pure direct plays without Audyssey settings and subs are off and also turns off the lights on the Marantz and some other items.

Here is what I am getting:
Auto-Engages Audyssey and the subs play at normal volume
Direct-Deactivates Audyssey however the subs play at a lower volume than Auto?
Pure Direct-Also deactivates Audyssey and the subs play at a lower volume then Auto?

Here are my questions:
1-Do my mains play full range when in direct and pure direct or are they still crossing over at the small 80Hz setting.
2-Why are my subs active at a lower volume when in direct and pure direct?
3-Is it possible to play my front main speakers in stereo, full range without the subs?

Thanks,
PG55

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
It is probable your settings are still default if you selected small for your main speakers. "The low range signal of the channel set to “Small” speaker size is added to the LFE signal output from the subwoofer."

When “Subwoofer Mode” in the menu is set to “LFE+Main” there is always Sub Output.

Direct just eliminates signal adjustments made by the SR7015. This mode plays back audio as recorded in the source.

Pure Direct:
This mode plays back an even higher quality sound than the “Direct” mode.
The following circuits are stopped in order to further improve sound quality.
Display indicator circuit of the main body (display will go off.)
The analog video input/output switcher and processor is disabled.

SR7015 Web Manual - Bass

Your SR7015 allows you to retain two speaker configurations in memory. You may want to make one of them for a Stereo Only setup (no Subs or other speakers).

See Changing the speaker settings to match the listening environment (Speaker Preset)

I hope this is helpful.

PG55

PG55

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the quick reply. I checked my sub settings and it is set to LFE only yet I am still getting sound from my subs in the direct and pure direct mode?
I see there is a 2 channel playback setting. Is this the same as using one of the presets? If I set it up for stereo would I want to change the speakers to large and disengage the subs?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the quick reply. I checked my sub settings and it is set to LFE only yet I am still getting sound from my subs in the direct and pure direct mode?
I see there is a 2 channel playback setting. Is this the same as using one of the presets? If I set it up for stereo would I want to change the speakers to large and disengage the subs?
Yes I would change the speakers to large, and disable subs if I use direct/pure direct mode in stereo, assuming your speakers are really full range. Depending on your room, speakers, and how you set up Audyssey (with the App), you may find that stereo with Audyssey may sound better. Try both ways and hear the difference, then decide..

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yes I would change the speakers to large, and disable subs if I use direct/pure direct mode in stereo, assuming your speakers are really full range. Depending on your room, speakers, and how you set up Audyssey (with the App), you may find that stereo with Audyssey may sound better. Try both ways and hear the difference, then decide..
This is exactly what I've done when setting up a new room/system. Direct and pure direct aren't used just because of the lack of sub management (depending on the AVR). Stereo mode works best for my systems.

R

ryan064

Audiophyte
Is there anyway I can take an audyssey save file from the app that was made on a marantz sr8012 and apply it to a sr8015?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Is there anyway I can take an audyssey save file from the app that was made on a marantz sr8012 and apply it to a sr8015?
The saves are for the specific model you are using. You can try to apply the save to a different model, but it will probably give you an error.

It's best to run it again from the app anyway just to make sure everything has been measured properly.

It'd probably take more time to figure out how to get the config to the new AVR than it would to just run audyssey again.

R

Ruato

Audiophyte
Hello all, I run into a weird issue with the MultEQ app (Android phone). I run Audussey measurements several times and every time the results were that my subwoofer level was set to -12. This happened even if I lowered the level way down and it was also shown in the app's subwoofer level indicator before the measurements are started. As a last resort, I run the measurements using the AVR (X3600H) and then the subwoofer level was set as expected. Have any of you noticed this behavior from your MultEQ app? Is this a known issue? Thank you for any info!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis