Home theater receiver.

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
I am looking for home theater receiver. I am considering between OnkyoTX-NR7100 and Denon AVR -X4700. The price of Onkyo is $1099 and Denon $2099. Is it worth it to pay $1000 more? I am also open for suggestion with different receivers. Can anybody help me to make decision?

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
I find onkyo to be just cheap and in the lower quality side of things. My vote easily the denon.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Given long term inflation, brand reliability, and possible future parts issues, get the Denon. It will also do a better job of keeping a decent resale value. Other options, consider the Yamaha RX A4A which is right in the middle of your price range.

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
Thank you both for the help. Let's forget about the Onkyo. Denon 3700 versus 4700. $500 difference. Is it worth it to buy 4700?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Only if you feel the differences are worth it to you....hard to know.

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
Given long term inflation, brand reliability, and possible future parts issues, get the Denon. It will also do a better job of keeping a decent resale value. Other options, consider the Yamaha RX A4A which is right in the middle of your price range.
If you have a choice Yamaha RX A4A or Denon 4700 what would you pick?

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
How about Denon 2700? It's still a good choice considering the price?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hard to know what your needs are, what and how many speakers you're using.....I'd go back to the zk comparison tool I posted earlier and look at the avrs you're interested in side by side and then maybe refer to those specific differences and how it is related to your use....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you both for the help. Let's forget about the Onkyo. Denon 3700 versus 4700. $500 difference. Is it worth it to buy 4700?
Okay I've owned Yamaha Onkyo and Denon. First we need to figure out what your needs are?

#1 How many speakers are you using?

#2 What's your room size?

#3 What's your sitting distance at the main listener position from your front 3 speakers

#4 Is this a theater room or a living room or multipurpose room?

#5 Do you game? Listen to music? Movies? Stream? Do blue rays?

#6 What's the percentages of each activity?

#7 What apps do you like to use music apps streaming apps and anything else that you will have the reciever connect to do you use roku or a apple TV? Stuff like that

#8 Do you want to be able to add on more speakers to this reciever down the road does it need to be upgradeable?

#9 Will this be your permanent home theater reciever or do you plan to upgrade to seperates

#10 Do you need to use power amps

#11 how loud do you like things? Reference level? Or lower?

If you could do me a favor and answer these questions 1-11 I've posted I think we can chime in and have a better idea of what we can recommend to you.

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
Okay I've owned Yamaha Onkyo and Denon. First we need to figure out what your needs are?

#3 What's your sitting distance at the main listener position from your front 3 speakers

#7 What apps do you like to use music apps streaming apps and anything else that you will have the reciever connect to do you use roku or a apple TV? Stuff like that

#8 Do you want to be able to add on more speakers to this reciever down the road does it need to be upgradeable?

#9 Will this be your permanent home theater reciever or do you plan to upgrade to seperates

If you could do me a favor and answer these questions 1-11 I've posted I think we can chime in and have a better idea of what we can recommend to you.

Thank you for spending time to do the question list.
1. I am using 5.1 possibly 7.1
2. 400 square feet and cathedral ceiling 16" neigh.
3. 8"
4. living with dining room
5. Movies, sports, music, blue rays, gaming.
6. Movies 40%, sports 30%, music 20%, gaming 5%, blue rays 5%.
7. Mainly I use Amazon stick and my blue ray player.
8. Yes. I am planning to have 7.1 or 7.2.
9. This will be my only receiver.
10. I have never used.
11. If I listen to music the level is 65 or above.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay based on your feedback I'd go with the Denon X3700H. Your 8 feet back from the speakers it will easily go up to 7 speakers even more if you ever do atmos.

At your listening distance and level I don't believe you'll need amps. And it has great room correction with Audyssey plus for 20 extra bucks you can get the Audyssey Editor App which I became quiet impressed with. I'm actually going to post a thread on how to use that app.

With the gear you use and your listening habits I think the X3700H will suit you just fine. And the nice thing is if you ever need more power it has a great pre amp section. I don't think the 4500 in your use scenario gives you that much extra you'd need. But if it's on your budget there's nothing wrong with spending the extra 500 and getting a little extra power under the hood a few more features and avoiding the what if bug that sometimes hits us in this hobby.

I WOULD NOT GO with the 2700. Or with the Yamaha the 2700 just leaves too many features off the table. And Yamaha has this nanny protection circuit that is ANNOYING.
Plus Yamahas room correction is not as good

What speakers and subs will you be using if you don't mind me asking?

A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
Okay based on your feedback I'd go with the Denon X3700H. Your 8 feet back from the speakers it will easily go up to 7 speakers even more if you ever do atmos.

At your listening distance and level I don't believe you'll need amps. And it has great room correction with Audyssey plus for 20 extra bucks you can get the Audyssey Editor App which I became quiet impressed with. I'm actually going to post a thread on how to use that app.

With the gear you use and your listening habits I think the X3700H will suit you just fine. And the nice thing is if you ever need more power it has a great pre amp section. I don't think the 4500 in your use scenario gives you that much extra you'd need. But if it's on your budget there's nothing wrong with spending the extra 500 and getting a little extra power under the hood a few more features and avoiding the what if bug that sometimes hits us in this hobby.

I WOULD NOT GO with the 2700. Or with the Yamaha the 2700 just leaves too many features off the table. And Yamaha has this nanny protection circuit that is ANNOYING.
Plus Yamahas room correction is not as good

What speakers and subs will you be using if you don't mind me asking?
I have Axiom speakers except of subwoofer. The subwoofer is SVS PC-2000 Pro.
I also have some questions:
1. Can I listen to 3D Auro without adding more speakers. If I cannot what is required to have 3D Auro.?
2. The wires from the speakers are hidden in walls and floor. Is it possible to buy 2 extra wireless surround sound speakers to have 7.1 system? Can I have them located in front of me?
3. Does 2nd subwoofer will improve the sound?
4. What do I need to have 7.1 system? Does 7.2 mean 2 subwoofers?
5. The ceiling speakers are not the option because of cathedral ceiling. How can I improve the sound without celling speakers?

If you have time to answer my questions and advise me how to create 7.1 or other system I would appreciate.
If anybody else wants to add some info it would be greatly appreciated.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The only way Onkyo is gonna sell any AVR is if they sell the AVRs dirt cheap. And if they sell them dirt cheap, Onkyo (whoever is the owner for THAT year since it seems to change every year :D) will CONTINUE to go bankrupt (like they seem to go bankrupt every year).

Should people buy Onkyo and risk going with a company that seems to be going bankrupt every year? The dirt cheap prices seem to be very attractive to some people. :D

BTW, I just checked out the 4K-remastered versions of "For a Few Dollars More" and "A Fistful of Dollars" and the picture quality look like crap on my 150" screen. :mad:

Man, I am so spoiled with all these new movies shot using 4-8K Digital Cameras. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have Axiom speakers except of subwoofer. The subwoofer is SVS PC-2000 Pro.
I also have some questions:
1. Can I listen to 3D Auro without adding more speakers. If I cannot what is required to have 3D Auro.?
2. The wires from the speakers are hidden in walls and floor. Is it possible to buy 2 extra wireless surround sound speakers to have 7.1 system? Can I have them located in front of me?
3. Does 2nd subwoofer will improve the sound?
4. What do I need to have 7.1 system? Does 7.2 mean 2 subwoofers?
5. The ceiling speakers are not the option because of cathedral ceiling. How can I improve the sound without celling speakers?

If you have time to answer my questions and advise me how to create 7.1 or other system I would appreciate.
If anybody else wants to add some info it would be greatly appreciated.
1/ 3D Auro requires an avr with that particular feature as well as additional speakers to get the full benefit of that upmixer. The Denon 3700 does not have this feature, the 4700 does. If you don't have the additional speakers for surrounds/overheads believe they call that Auro 2D... Try using this table of formats/speakers for the 4700

2/ Wireless still require wires, at the receiving end to accommodate the power needed (for receiver/amps). Front height speakers are possible but would think wireless would be less useful

3/ Multiple subs have the benefit of smoothing response in the room, helping eliminate nulls, so it could well be an improvement.

4/ 7.1 would require rear surrounds or front heights generally (in addition to base 5.1 setup), 7.2 is often used to refer to a count of two subs. Some avrs, like the 3700 and 4700 both, can separately adjust levels/delays for the two subs with the Audyssey SubEQ feature in conjunction with Audyssey XT32. Some avrs only mean by ".2" to have two sub pre-outs, even if they're identical (and you can with only one sub pre-out easily split the signal to two subs otoh).

5/ You can sometimes use height speakers just at the junction of the ceiling/wall if you can't mount on the ceiling itself....cathedral ceilings aren't impossible but would possibly take particular care in installation....

Last edited:
A

andyj

Junior Audioholic
1/ 3D Auro requires an avr with that particular feature as well as additional speakers to get the full benefit of that upmixer. The Denon 3700 does not have this feature, the 4700 does. If you don't have the additional speakers for surrounds/overheads believe they call that Auro 2D... Try using this table of formats/speakers for the 4700

2/ Wireless still require wires, at the receiving end to accommodate the power needed (for receiver/amps). Front height speakers are possible but would think wireless would be less useful

3/ Multiple subs have the benefit of smoothing response in the room, helping eliminate nulls, so it could well be an improvement.

4/ 7.1 would require rear surrounds or front heights generally (in addition to base 5.1 setup), 7.2 is often used to refer to a count of two subs. Some avrs, like the 3700 and 4700 both, can separately adjust levels/delays for the two subs with the Audyssey SubEQ feature in conjunction with Audyssey XT32. Some avrs only mean by ".2" to have two sub pre-outs, even if they're identical (and you can with only one sub pre-out easily split the signal to two subs otoh).

5/ You can sometimes use height speakers just at the junction of the ceiling/wall if you can't mount on the ceiling itself....cathedral ceilings aren't impossible but would possibly take particular care in installation....
Thank you for the answers to my questions. You wrote the 3D Aurro requires additional speakers. What speakers do I need to have 3D Auro? Do I need two more front speakers? In your opinion what avr should I buy in $2000 range.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you for the answers to my questions. You wrote the 3D Aurro requires additional speakers. What speakers do I need to have 3D Auro? Do I need two more front speakers? In your opinion what avr should I buy in $2000 range.
Did you look at the table I linked? It answers your question....

I'm not shopping, pick the avr that suits your purposes best at a price you like....

T

tjcinnamon

Audioholic Intern
I’m looking at Denon but I have a lot of trepidation because I’m sure if a new series will come out soon. I’ll likely bite the bullet on the 4700.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis