jcrowde3

jcrowde3

Junior Audioholic
So after 6 months of waiting I got my replacement HDMI board from Marantz. I installed it last night and I initialized it like it said to in the service manual. It worked. I hooked it up and turned it on and after a while of working it freezes up and displays error CY920. I looked this error up in tje manual and it said I need to load the firmware update. I don't see any downloads on the marantz website. Does anyone know where to get it?

Attachments

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
So after 6 months of waiting I got my replacement HDMI board from Marantz. I installed it last night and I initialized it like it said to in the service manual. It worked. I hooked it up and turned it on and after a while of working it freezes up and displays error CY920. I looked this error up in tje manual and it said I need to load the firmware update. I don't see any downloads on the marantz website. Does anyone know where to get it?
Well, there's nowhere else to get it. Why don't you try contacting them by phone or email. Tell them about the display error code.

jcrowde3

jcrowde3

Junior Audioholic
Well, there's nowhere else to get it. Why don't you try contacting them by phone or email. Tell them about the display error code.
I sent an email. I didn't know if there was a another way to update firmware manually.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd think firmware support may have ended for such an old model. Wonder more why it can't operate with what it's currently got, tho, so suspect it could be something else, too....

ps For some reason I had Marantz 7008 on the brain on the age thing....

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So the board didn't come properly prepared? Or was that something you needed to specify when getting a replacement board? Is that the kind of thing that only a Marantz facility can do?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I sent an email. I didn't know if there was a another way to update firmware manually.
They should have the firmware available, that unit is only six years old. I suspect however that it my be a BIOS problem and not the firmware. Only a certified service center can re flash the BIOS.

Have you tried a hard reset? I suggest that as the board probably has the original firmware. A hard reset may reset everything to the original firmware.

The other lesson in this, is that units with these complex boards are not properly and ethically supported by any manufacturer. This means when there is a serious problem, the best solution is a one way trip to the recycling center. No wonder the masses go for the cheap sound bar solution!

This sort of policy will kill HT in the home for most. This dissuades people from getting into it. Declining sales translates into higher unit costs and the spiral to oblivion.

jcrowde3

jcrowde3

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, I reinitialized it. I was hoping to avoid taking it to a service center as it is 4 hour drive to get to one and who knows how long it will take to get it fixed. I guess if Marantz give's me this answer that this guy got then that's what I'll end up doing the next time I'm in hot lanta.

Can't say I wasn't persistant I guess...

jcrowde3

jcrowde3

Junior Audioholic
So the board didn't come properly prepared? Or was that something you needed to specify when getting a replacement board? Is that the kind of thing that only a Marantz facility can do?
I would assume it would come properly prepared, but who knows. I'm really not sure. I am completely new to working on AVRs. Was hoping it would just work, but I guess that is too much to ask in this day and age.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would assume it would come properly prepared, but who knows. I'm really not sure. I am completely new to working on AVRs. Was hoping it would just work, but I guess that is too much to ask in this day and age.
I wouldn't even attempt a board replacement, so you're ahead of me :) Perhaps you can get someone from the tech dept on the phone at Marantz/Sound United/Masimo....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The firmware update is available, but it can only be downloaded to a working receiver. Will your unit stay long enough to select "Check for firmware updates," from the receiver set up menu? If not, then the unit will have to go to a service center.

Unfortunately I fear your only two options, will be to send it to an authorized service center, or take it to a recycling center, and start again with a new receiver.

It is situations like this why I'm reluctant to advise repair of receivers, as it is usually more money down the drain. As I stated before, this is not an acceptable state of affairs, but that is where we are.

The whole design of receivers and pre/pros, for that matter, is wrong. These units need to have a standard 19" rack frame and be designed in modules. Power supply module, switching module, video preamp module, HDMI module, and control module. All should slot in the rack. This would make not only repair easy, but also upgrades. Then you could upgrade without changing the whole unit. Power amps, should be in a separate amp module, with power supply and you just purchase the amps you need. So you don't have to purchase 11 amps if you will only use two.

The way home AV electronics is designed and organized is totally insane and not what is required at all.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The firmware update is available, but it can only be downloaded to a working receiver. Will your unit stay long enough to select "Check for firmware updates," from the receiver set up menu? If not, then the unit will have to go to a service center.

Unfortunately I fear your only two options, will be to send it to an authorized service center, or take it to a recycling center, and start again with a new receiver.

It is situations like this why I'm reluctant to advise repair of receivers, as it is usually more money down the drain. As I stated before, this is not an acceptable state of affairs, but that is where we are.

The whole design of receivers and pre/pros, for that matter, is wrong. These units need to have a standard 19" rack frame and be designed in modules. Power supply module, switching module, video preamp module, HDMI module, and control module. All should slot in the rack. This would make not only repair easy, but also upgrades. Then you could upgrade without changing the whole unit. Power amps, should be in a separate amp module, with power supply and you just purchase the amps you need. So you don't have to purchase 11 amps if you will only use two.

The way home AV electronics is designed and organized is totally insane and not what is required at all.
Yet what you propose probably wouldn't sell as well.....

jcrowde3

jcrowde3

Junior Audioholic
"Jamar
Hello, I will be more than happy to help!

You:
I installed a Refurbished HDMI board into my Marantz SR7010 Receiver and intialized it. It starts up correctly, but then it shows Error CY920 and asks for a usb with a firmware update. Is there a way I can obtain the correct firmware update?

Jamar:
Unfortunately, we stopped having the firmware being able to download at this time.

You:
Can it be sent to me by email?

Jamar:
We have no access to the files, I hope we bring it back though."

There is a chance! lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wonder if you try and elevate this beyond that level of customer service, say to the technical department, you might get further?

jcrowde3

jcrowde3

Junior Audioholic
I guess TLS Guy called it.

"Brian:
This software is only available through an authorized service center. When a customer changes a PCB on their own, there's software associated with it. That's why we always recommend to have repairs done through an authorized service center. You will need to have a service center finish the repair as they are the only ones with the software to complete this fix."

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I guess TLS Guy called it.

"Brian:
This software is only available through an authorized service center. When a customer changes a PCB on their own, there's software associated with it. That's why we always recommend to have repairs done through an authorized service center. You will need to have a service center finish the repair as they are the only ones with the software to complete this fix."
Shame is they shipped it from as close a center as exists I'd think....guess you just need to know more when ordering replacement parts. I'd still press Sound United/Masimo for a solution since they sold you the useless board.

jcrowde3

jcrowde3

Junior Audioholic
I escalated it and they told me that they just don't give out the firmware anymore. I ended up mailing it to a service center in Atlanta and they charged by 300 bucks to install the firmware. It works now.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis