TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I escalated it and they told me that they just don't give out the firmware anymore. I ended up mailing it to a service center in Atlanta and they charged by 300 bucks to install the firmware. It works now.
That is what I call being held to Ransom. We need to pass legislation on right to repair. The whole story is disgraceful, but that is the current industry ethics we are living with currently. It is far from ethical and professional. This whole story is just wrong on so many levels. I'm glad you have a working unit after all that trouble and expense, which you did not need to encounter.

highfigh

highfigh

That is what I call being held to Ransom. We need to pass legislation on right to repair. The whole story is disgraceful, but that is the current industry ethics we are living with currently. It is far from ethical and professional. This whole story is just wrong on so many levels. I'm glad you have a working unit after all that trouble and expense, which you did not need to encounter.
Right to repair is being worked on in electronics and with another big player, farmers who want to repair their machinery and implements when parts are "unavailable" from the usual sources (manufacturer-approved service centers). John Deere and Apple are facing lawsuits regarding this- it's not going away, so they'll have to give up some ground on this.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Right to repair is being worked on in electronics and with another big player, farmers who want to repair their machinery and implements when parts are "unavailable" from the usual sources (manufacturer-approved service centers). John Deere and Apple are facing lawsuits regarding this- it's not going away, so they'll have to give up some ground on this.
And so they should!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I escalated it and they told me that they just don't give out the firmware anymore. I ended up mailing it to a service center in Atlanta and they charged by 300 bucks to install the firmware. It works now.
So what a catch-22....you buy a board they won't send you the needed firmware to install then bend you over for $300 for installing firmware? That include at least two way shipping of the entire avr?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
IMO, that kind of incompetent service is enough to suggest people to boycott purchase of Marantz brand products.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

And so they should!
I would say the manufacturers might have a case if they still trained enough people to service their products, but they don't and the internet has spawned a huge crop of 'experts' who think they can repair anything. If you watch YouTube, you'll see all kinds of building and repairs that can only be called 'cobbled together' and 'Jerry-rigged'. If something is still under warranty, I, as a manufacturer, wouldn't allow someone to repair it without making sure they're able to do it correctly if they want the warranty to continue. Conversely, as a manufacturer, it's up to them to make sure people don't need to wait until hell freezes over or pay an exorbitant price for 'factory-service'.

The way people service their own makes me want to go to them and say 'STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". Wait, I actually do that in a boat owner's forum.

Specific to ski boats (real ones, not just a little boat that kids can ski behind), people who wouldn't dream of touching a $5000 used car dive head-first into their $100K+ boats when something goes wrong, using the 'parts cannon' as their method of finding the problem. These have car engines and because the EPA/CARB and other organizations have made it necessary for the emissions to be low, these are almost identical to what's in a car or truck, including Oxygen sensors and catalytic converters. They complain that their boat doesn't run well, but don't do the maintenance and when they can't figure out where the problem lies, go online and whine about the manufacturer making it hard to work on, yet these same people wouldn't be able to adjust a carburetor or the points in a distributor if their lives depended on it.

jcrowde3

jcrowde3

Junior Audioholic
All I needed was the firmware... they just wouldn't give it to me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis