mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
For sure the past two years of COVID, the twisting of fact from fiction has been difficult at times to unravel !

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Fake News ??

I've seen quite a few of these types of news reports, but they never seem to include numbers from other years for comparison. Even if the numbers are accurate it doesn't really mean much if the same thing happens every year (i.e. I don't know if it's "fake" news, but I see no evidence there's anything unusual happening).

As far as I can tell, heart issues in young athletes are not as unnusual as one might think, and sudden cardiac arrest is actually the leading cause of death in young athletes in the United States:

>>>The American Academy of Pediatrics estimates that approximately 2,000 people under the age of 25 die from sudden cardiac arrest in the U.S. each year. It is the leading cause of death in young athletes in the United States – resulting in 1 death in a high school student every 3 days, according to some experts. . . . Undiagnosed, preexisting heart conditions are typically responsible for sudden cardiac arrest. <<<

There have been quite a few studies showing there is no increased risk of death following covid vaccination:

>>>There is no evidence that Covid vaccines have led to an increase in deaths in young people, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) has said. Both the Pfizer and Moderna jabs have been linked to very rare heart problems, particularly in young men.
The ONS looked at outcomes shortly after vaccination, when the risk of any side effect is highest.
The chance of a young person dying in that time was no different to later periods the researchers looked at.
Julie Stanborough, deputy director at the ONS said: "We have found no evidence of an increased risk of cardiac death in young people following Covid-19 vaccination."<<<

>>>In a study comparing 6.4 million COVID-19 vaccine recipients with 4.6 million demographically similar unvaccinated persons, recipients of the Pfizer, Moderna or Janssen vaccines had lower non-COVID-19 mortality risk than did the unvaccinated comparison groups, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported this week.

“There is no increased risk for mortality among COVID-19 vaccine recipients,” the authors said. “This finding reinforces the safety profile of currently approved COVID-19 vaccines in the United States.”<<<

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
This is amusing:

>>>Brazil's president found himself ridiculed for his Covid policies as the world-famous Carnival took place for the first time since the pandemic.
During the São Paulo parade, a performer wearing a presidential sash transformed into a crocodile after "receiving a vaccine" on stage.
President Jair Bolsonaro once suggested that a Covid vaccine side effect could turn people into crocodiles.<<<

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
The CDC estimates that 58% of the U.S. population has antibodies from a prior covid infection. The increase from 33.5% to 57.7% from December 2021 to Februrary 2022 is a remarkable increase for such a short period of time. It looks like omicron really did spread like wildfire

>>>During December 2021–February 2022, overall U.S. seroprevalence increased from 33.5% (95% CI = 33.1–34.0) to 57.7% (95% CI = 57.1–58.3).<<<

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
So 'ole Kamala has the 'Shanghai Sniffles', with all her vaccinations, boosters, etc I'm surprised ........ perhaps just another way to keep her and Joey separated ??

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
So 'ole Kamala has the 'Shanghai Sniffles', with all her vaccinations, boosters, etc I'm surprised ........ perhaps just another way to keep her and Joey separated ??
Dude.

I think we have fully established that the initial vaccinations and boosters do not absolutely prevent infection. They reduce severity of symptoms and the likelihood of requiring hospitalization.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Dude.

I think we have fully established that the initial vaccinations and boosters do not absolutely prevent infection. They reduce severity of symptoms and the likelihood of requiring hospitalization.
Now 'Dude' , I'm very well aware of that but perhaps you should have let ole 'Sleepy Joe' in on our little secret last year ........

all in good fun .....:D

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
According to this article, some people who take paxlovid "recover" and test negative, only to relapse and get sick again (according to the article, this also happens in some people who didn't take paxlovid, so it's not necessarily an issue that is specific to paxlovid).

>>>Infectious-disease experts agree that this phenomenon of the virus rebounding after some patients take the drug appears to be real but rare. Exactly how often it occurs, why it happens and what - if anything - to do about it remain matters of debate. . . .

Pfizer is collecting data, in clinical trials and in real-world monitoring of the drug's use. The company's trial data indicates there is a late uptick in viral load in some people who take the drug, but the rates appear to be the same among study participants given a placebo, according to a person familiar with the data who spoke on the condition of anonymity to speak freely.

Those findings suggest that Paxlovid isn't the reason people are relapsing, because that's happening in untreated people, too. . . .

The limited evidence leaves most physicians favoring the idea that Paxlovid knocks the virus down but doesn't knock it out completely. It's possible that by holding the virus in check, the immune response doesn't fully ramp up, because it doesn't see enough virus. Once the treatment ends, the virus can start multiplying again in some people.<<<

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
According to this article, some people who take paxlovid "recover" and test negative, only to relapse and get sick again (according to the article, this also happens in some people who didn't take paxlovid, so it's not necessarily an issue that is specific to paxlovid).

>>>Infectious-disease experts agree that this phenomenon of the virus rebounding after some patients take the drug appears to be real but rare. Exactly how often it occurs, why it happens and what - if anything - to do about it remain matters of debate. . . .

Pfizer is collecting data, in clinical trials and in real-world monitoring of the drug's use. The company's trial data indicates there is a late uptick in viral load in some people who take the drug, but the rates appear to be the same among study participants given a placebo, according to a person familiar with the data who spoke on the condition of anonymity to speak freely.

Those findings suggest that Paxlovid isn't the reason people are relapsing, because that's happening in untreated people, too. . . .

The limited evidence leaves most physicians favoring the idea that Paxlovid knocks the virus down but doesn't knock it out completely. It's possible that by holding the virus in check, the immune response doesn't fully ramp up, because it doesn't see enough virus. Once the treatment ends, the virus can start multiplying again in some people.<<<

my 91 year old uncle (vax'ed) has gotten the WuFlu twice, lives in a Nursing home outside of Bflo, talked to him today, doing just fine. His only complaint, lousy food !!

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
my 91 year old uncle (vax'ed) has gotten the WuFlu twice, lives in a Nursing home outside of Bflo, talked to him today, doing just fine. His only complaint, lousy food !!
More power to him! In my book, after beating the virus twice, he's earned the right to complain about lousy food.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Those damn nursing homes are just hot beds for viruses. Them old folks gotta watch out.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Those damn nursing homes are just hot beds for viruses. Them old folks gotta watch out.
yeah, first time around he came down with it early last year after his first shot. Had to recover and wait an extra month before getting his second and then boosted last fall. Second time around it was the Omnicron variant and his symptoms were rather mild for about a week. Having fought in the Korean war he's a tough old bird !

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I tested positive for Covid-19 this morning. I used one of those quick antibody-type tests.

My wife & I had visited my son, wife, & 1½ year-old daughter over the weekend. We tested negative before going there. On Sunday afternoon we saw some of his friends at an out-door gathering, and we drove home the next day.

I was fine until yesterday, when I got a headache, severe body aches, fatigue, mild sniffles & cough, and a mild fever, 99-100°F. Late last night I heard from my son that one couple at that picnic has tested positive. That's when I realized I was sick, and I wasn't surprised when I saw the test results. My wife is negative, so far.

I called my doctor and she prescribed a 5-day course of Paxlovid. I'm eligible because of my age alone. I also have an auto-immune disease, ankylosing spondylitis, for which I take two immune suppressing drugs, Humira and methotrexate.

My wife is going now to pick up the Rx. Only one pharmacy in an entire county in the Maryland suburbs of Washington has this drug. It's about 20 minutes away, so it isn't a big problem. Still, I'm surprised it isn't more widely available.

So now I have to isolate from my wife for 5 days (today is day 2), and if things improve, I can be around her during days 6-10, if I wear a mask all the time.

By now, most of you know me well enough to expect me to make my Covid-19 a teachable moment. And, you'd be right ;).
  • I've taken ibuprofen (one 200 mg tablet) roughly every 4 hours. It seems to work well at treating my symptoms.

• I take a drug called Lipitor, also known as atorvastatin. It lowers cholesterol production. During my 5-day Paxlovid treatment, I must stop the Lipitor. Not a problem.

• I was also warned that some people experience gastrointestinal distress with Paxlovid, often diarrhea. If it gets intolerable, I'll quit the Paxlovid. But if it isn't terrible, I do plan to tough it out for 5 days.

• About a year ago, I bought one of those no-touch forehead fever thermometers. I hadn't used until today. It's been real handy.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis