Ukraine – Russia … not more of the last thread

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Ridiculous (if true), tell him to get it from Putin ...........

while I truly feel for the Ukraine people their Gov't may be more corrupt than ours ..... :eek:

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
At least trying to do something:
  1. I have sent a letter to the Prime Minister's office requesting pressure and sanctions towards Norwegian companies that are still in Russia.
  2. I have sent a letter directly to the parliamentary group of the "Green Party" to address directly in the Norwegian government ASAP to impose pressure and sanctions towards Norwegian companies that are still in Russia. website: mdg.no
  3. I am running a process towards the COO of my parent company, as well as the CEO of my company to make a decision at the next board meeting to withdraw completely from Russia.

One of the backgrounders:
Zelensky’s address to Congress, annotated
All American companies must leave Russia from their market, leave their market immediately because it is flooded with our blood. Ladies and gentlemen, members of Congress, please take the lead if you have companies in your district who finance the Russian military machine leaving business in Russia, you should put pressure. I’m asking to make sure that the Russians do not receive a single penny that they use to destroy people in Ukraine.
Today it was announced that the board announces that they will stop all operations in Russia and that they will withdraw 100%. discontinuing an operation with 65 employees in russia.

This helps Ukraine and this is what Zelynskyy wants Norwegian companies to do. I do not think such a decision would have come without that pressure I applied to executive management

jinjuku

jinjuku

I love how the U.S. and other countries are asking Saudi Arabia to increase oil production so they can cut off purchasing from Russia as to constrain the money supply.

S.A. has no dog in this fight and no incentive really.

Western countries should do what they should have done all along and deny air space over the Ukraine.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Norway has the highest import of good from russia in March .... ever ....
That´s how good we are over here :confused:

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Norway has the highest import of good from russia in March .... ever ....
That´s how good we are over here :confused:
Great job having an impact. If only countries and companies worked the same.

Where is all that oil going? To cars and trucks? I always thought Norway's electrical needs were mostly taken care of by Hydropower?

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Great job having an impact. If only countries and companies worked the same.

Where is all that oil going? To cars and trucks? I always thought Norway's electrical needs were mostly taken care of by Hydropower?
Oil is mainly export, to US and EU, lots of gas going to EU!

I am trying to find out what that import from russia is.... but for sure a lot of this is metals towards aluminum plants and so on.... electricity here is by far Hydropower

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Oil is mainly export, to US and EU, lots of gas going to EU!

I am trying to find out what that import from russia is.... but for sure a lot of this is metals towards aluminum plants and so on.... electricity here is by far Hydropower
Well I think you should cut off both the US and the EU from Russian oil. Teach them a lesson.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I love how the U.S. and other countries are asking Saudi Arabia to increase oil production so they can cut off purchasing from Russia as to constrain the money supply.

Western countries should do what they should have done all along and deny air space over the Ukraine.
I can think of several possible incentives for SA to increase oil production.

SA is sitting on huge oil reserves, and oil prices are quite high right now. This might be the most they can ever get for their oil. I realize that increasing oil production will likely put some downward pressure on oil prices, but SA could still pocket huge profits over the short term. I suspect they like having lots of cash.

The high price of oil creates incentives to switch to renewable energy and/or increase production of oil from sources (e.g. oil shale) that are not profitable if oil prices are lower. Once countries invest in other sources of energy, they will likely have a reduced incentive to switch back to oil (i.e. sustained high oil prices now could lead to reduced demand (and prices) for oil in the future due to a more rapid transition to other sources of energy).

SA and Russia got into an oil price war in 2020, and SA increased oil production. This was apparently the exact opposite of what Russia wanted. According to wiki, this actually led to negative oil prices for a period of time:

>>>he price of oil became negative on 20 April. Oil production can be slowed, but not stopped completely, and even the lowest possible production level resulted in greater supply than demand; those holding oil futures became willing to pay to offload contracts for oil they expected to be unable to store.<<<

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Russia–Saudi_Arabia_oil_price_war

SA might want to disincentivize Russian investment in oil production capabilities by reducing oil prices so that Russia cannot make a profit on it's oil, and therefore stops investing in new production capacity (e.g. stops exploration and drilling). Basically, weaken Russia's ability to produce oil.

I realize there are plenty of arguments against SA increasing production. I really have no idea how SA views it. I'm just throwing these out as possible incentives.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Well I think you should cut off both the US and the EU from Russian oil. Teach them a lesson.
I am not sure we are on the same page here .... I am discussing the Norwegian export of oil.... this is the oil deliveries froim Norway during 2021, at least no russia here :)

And I can see we are not delivering much to you guys overseas anymore!

Oljeleveranser 2021.PNG

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan

Apparently the US isn't asking anymore.
White House stops asking Saudi Arabia to pump more oil to offset Biden's Russian-energy ban, report says, as US-Gulf relations hit new low (yahoo.com)

I'm actually surprised that Saudi Arabia hasn't increased production. They don't generally like oil prices to get too high, since it incentivizes exploration and production in other locations, as well as switching to other energy sources.

But, they may also be trying to make things as uncomfortable for the Biden administration as possible, in hopes of getting the Trump clan back in power.
Jared Kushner’s Scandalous Saudi $2 Billion - The Bulwark

And, you do realize that declaring a no-fly zone over Ukraine would be tantamount to declaring war, don't you?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I can think of several possible incentives for SA to increase oil production.

SA is sitting on huge oil reserves, and oil prices are quite high right now. This might be the most they can ever get for their oil. I realize that increasing oil production will likely put some downward pressure on oil prices, but SA could still pocket huge profits over the short term. I suspect they like having lots of cash.

The high price of oil creates incentives to switch to renewable energy and/or increase production of oil from sources (e.g. oil shale) that are not profitable if oil prices are lower. Once countries invest in other sources of energy, they will likely have a reduced incentive to switch back to oil (i.e. sustained high oil prices now could lead to reduced demand (and prices) for oil in the future due to a more rapid transition to other sources of energy).

SA and Russia got into an oil price war in 2020, and SA increased oil production. This was apparently the exact opposite of what Russia wanted. According to wiki, this actually led to negative oil prices for a period of time:

>>>he price of oil became negative on 20 April. Oil production can be slowed, but not stopped completely, and even the lowest possible production level resulted in greater supply than demand; those holding oil futures became willing to pay to offload contracts for oil they expected to be unable to store.<<<

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Russia–Saudi_Arabia_oil_price_war

SA might want to disincentivize Russian investment in oil production capabilities by reducing oil prices so that Russia cannot make a profit on it's oil, and therefore stops investing in new production capacity (e.g. stops exploration and drilling). Basically, weaken Russia's ability to produce oil.

I realize there are plenty of arguments against SA increasing production. I really have no idea how SA views it. I'm just throwing these out as possible incentives.
I saw that oil prices are set to drop because China isn't using as much since they shut down Shanghai and manufacturing is down. The last price I saw was lower by roughly 4%, although I don't expect to see lower prices at the pump soon, if at all.

jinjuku

jinjuku

And, you do realize that declaring a no-fly zone over Ukraine would be tantamount to declaring war, don't you?
If it was multi-national:

U.S.
Britain
France
Germany
Etc

Do you think Russia is going to go to war? They have their hands full with an old bloc country of 40 million people.

I think Putin made the west blink.

highfigh

highfigh

U.S.
Britain
France
Germany
Etc

Do you think Russia is going to go to war? They have their hands full with an old bloc country of 40 million people.

With Moscow's habit of blaming everyone but themselves for this and calling every defensive act 'aggression', a multi-nationally-enforced no fly zone probably wouldn't stop them from doing anything stupid- you know, the "Strong like bull" attitude.

If they do something that causes a US military reaction, their air power won't stand a chance, IMO. They have supposedly added defensive measures to some of their missiles, but I don't remember seeing that the ones with this are for ground to air use. Our A-10 would wipe out their tanks & APCs and I'm not sure their pilots would have the will to continue if we take out large numbers of their aircraft in a short time.

Not sabre-rattling, I just don't think their military capabilities are all that great and they certainly haven't achieved any degree of air superiority.

The West blinked because Russia has nukes, whether they're actually willing to use them, or not. What we can't do is get into a pissing match, drawing lines in the sand- if that happens, he's sure to look for a response.

"How about a nice game of chess?".

Last edited:
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan

U.S.
Britain
France
Germany
Etc

Of course it would be multi-national, as it would be a NATO declaration. To enforce it, any Russian aircraft entering Ukrainian airspace would have to be shot down. At this point, I don't think Putin would feel that he has any choice - in order to save face, he'd have to continue and hope NATO would be bluffing. That said, missiles and artillery are probably doing most of the damage right now.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
With Moscow's habit of blaming everyone but themselves for this and calling every defensive act 'aggression', a multi-nationally-enforced no fly zone probably wouldn't stop them from doing anything stupid- you know, the "Strong like bull" attitude.

If they do something that causes a US military reaction, their air power won't stand a chance, IMO. They have supposedly added defensive measures to some of their missiles, but I don't remember seeing that the ones with this are for ground to air use. Our A-10 would wipe out their tanks & APCs and I'm not sure their pilots would have the will to continue if we take out large numbers of their aircraft in a short time.

Not sabre-rattling, I just don't think their military capabilities are all that great and they certainly haven't achieved any degree of air superiority.

The West blinked because Russia has nukes, whether they're actually willing to use them, or not. What we can't do is get into a pissing match, drawing lines in the sand- if that happens, he's sure to look for a response.

"How about a nice game of chess?".
It's a two-way street, of course, and A-10's - while pretty good at dishing out nastiness - would be vulnerable to SAM's and fighters.

I think the Biden administration has handled the crisis as well as could be expected, so far. NATO is also far more united than expected. Western European dependence on Russian oil and gas is gradually being reduced. It's unfortunate that they allowed themselves to become so vulnerable, their eyes are wide open now.

This is going to backfire on Russia: Poland and Bulgaria say they will not succumb to Russia's 'gas blackmail' | CBC News

The pre-war talk of Putin playing chess, while we are playing checkers has been shown to be nonsense. He seriously miscalculated when he ordered the invasion. He thought he was much stronger than he was and thought Ukraine was much weaker than they are. Now he has to deal with the prospect of driving Sweden and Finland into NATO.

Well-played, Vlad. Well-played.

highfigh

highfigh

It's a two-way street, of course, and A-10's - while pretty good at dishing out nastiness - would be vulnerable to SAM's and fighters.

I think the Biden administration has handled the crisis as well as could be expected, so far. NATO is also far more united than expected. Western European dependence on Russian oil and gas is gradually being reduced. It's unfortunate that they allowed themselves to become so vulnerable, their eyes are wide open now.

This is going to backfire on Russia: Poland and Bulgaria say they will not succumb to Russia's 'gas blackmail' | CBC News

The pre-war talk of Putin playing chess, while we are playing checkers has been shown to be nonsense. He seriously miscalculated when he ordered the invasion. He thought he was much stronger than he was and thought Ukraine was much weaker than they are. Now he has to deal with the prospect of driving Sweden and Finland into NATO.

Well-played, Vlad. Well-played.
A-10 has defensive measures and can return after suffering a lot of damage- parts of wings have been shot off and the redundant mechanical linkage allows it to operate after the hydraulic/electronic control has been lost.

That chess question was what the computer named Joshua asked in the movie 'War Games', after simulating numerous scenarios WRT nuclear war, seeing that it was futile.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
A-10 has defensive measures and can return after suffering a lot of damage- parts of wings have been shot off and the redundant mechanical linkage allows it to operate after the hydraulic/electronic control has been lost.

That chess question was what the computer named Joshua asked in the movie 'War Games', after simulating numerous scenarios WRT nuclear war, seeing that it was futile.
Can the A-10 Warthog Defeat Its Toughest Enemy? | The National Interest

Argument: The A-10 isn’t survivable in a high-threat environment.
This is basically issue number one: the slow, unstealthy A-10 is vulnerable to a full range of air defense systems developed by Russia and China that have only become more sophisticated with each passing year. Even against a lesser but heavily armed foe—think Iran or North Korea—the Warthog could suffer heavy losses unless air defenses were first suppressed. An A-10’s armor may provide protection against low-caliber flak and give it a fighting chance at surviving a hit from a smaller missile, but it will not offer much protection from the full array of tactical and theater Surface to Air Missile (SAM) systems.

Exhibit A in this argument is the A-10 in the Gulf War: four Warthogs were lost to SAMs (an SA-9, two SA-13s and a shoulder-fired SA-16), and three returned to base too damaged to fly again. These losses were inflicted by Cold War–era SAM systems operated by poorly trained crews.

A fast, high-flying fighter can fly above the effective range of antiaircraft guns, Man Portable Air Defense Systems (MANPADS), or short range systems such as the SA-9. Stealth aircraft, like the F-22 and F-35, may also be able to operate in the vicinity of longer-range air defense systems without being targetable.

So, the argument goes, in the most vital scenario of national defense—a high-intensity conflict against an opponent with modern air-defense systems—the A-10 has little chance of surviving.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
All true and while the USAF has hinted at retiring the mighty 'Warthog' because of Chinese updated anti-aircraft capability, its ground support capability is still superb in many ways.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis