Ukraine – Russia … not more of the last thread

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I struggle with this (are people who are being fed nonstop BS still responsible for believing the BS?)

I saw an interview with a Russian woman who said she fully supported Putin. The interviewer asked her about videos showing the bodies of Ukrainian citizens, adn she responded that these were all fake and she only watched state run TV because it was the only thing she believed. In my opinion, people who actively choose to ignore any information that contradicts their beliefs bear some responsibility for their own ignorance.

The twitter feed you posted mentioned cognitive dissonance. From my perspective as an armchair shrink with no training or expertise whatsoever, I suspect that this is a significant factor in a lot of the denial and wilful ignorance. Who wants to believe they are contributing to slaughter of thousands of innocent civilians, that their sons died in an effort to force tyranny on innocents, that they are collectively a country of completely clueless A holes?

There's no doubt that Putin's "strength" is spewing B.S. propaganda. He's been doing it for 20 years and it has had an effect. But there are people in Russia who see though it, so I don't think the willfully ignorant get a free pass. They are, after all, adults with brains (yes, I'm dancing around the issue of free will).
When I say I have some empathy, that does not mean I give them a free pass. They're human beings like the rest of us. Cognitive dissonance lead Germans to swallow Hitler's BS 90-odd years ago. Even today, with so much information available, millions of people (and not just Americans) still believe Trump’s nonsense. So, there is nothing particularly unique about the Russian people. Any society can be conned the same way, given the right/wrong circumstances.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Please keep this thread for discussion of the war in Ukraine.

If it drifts onto other subjects, such a gun laws in the USA, it will become divisive and an open invitation to unwanted trolls.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I'm curious about the new Phoenix Ghost drones the U.S. is reportedly supplying to Ukraine, but I haven't found much information other than it is akin to the switchblade.

>>>The exact capabilities that Phoenix Ghost will offer to Ukraine are being kept under wraps, as Kirby declined to comment. But he did say the drone is “akin” to the Switchblade drone that the U.S. has already delivered to Ukraine.<<<

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
At least trying to do something:
  1. I have sent a letter to the Prime Minister's office requesting pressure and sanctions towards Norwegian companies that are still in Russia.
  2. I have sent a letter directly to the parliamentary group of the "Green Party" to address directly in the Norwegian government ASAP to impose pressure and sanctions towards Norwegian companies that are still in Russia. website: mdg.no
  3. I am running a process towards the COO of my parent company, as well as the CEO of my company to make a decision at the next board meeting to withdraw completely from Russia.

One of the backgrounders:
Zelensky’s address to Congress, annotated
All American companies must leave Russia from their market, leave their market immediately because it is flooded with our blood. Ladies and gentlemen, members of Congress, please take the lead if you have companies in your district who finance the Russian military machine leaving business in Russia, you should put pressure. I’m asking to make sure that the Russians do not receive a single penny that they use to destroy people in Ukraine.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Not a good look for Olaf or Germany for that matter. Agree the Nuclear risk is serious but the rest is rather a step down from his "famous" speech to "reinvest" in their NATO responsibility and rapidly change energy policy. I don't think Germany has over 95 working Leopard II's anyway.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Not a good look for Olaf or Germany for that matter. Agree the Nuclear risk is serious but the rest is rather a step down from his "famous" speech to "reinvest" in their NATO responsibility and rapidly change energy policy. I don't think Germany has over 95 working Leopard II's anyway.

If "NATO must avoid confrontation with Russia", what's the point of NATO?

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
If "NATO must avoid confrontation with Russia", what's the point of NATO?
Also, if NATO members do not live up to their financial commitments, why should it fall back to the taxpayers of other nations? If new members come into the organzation, NATO should have firmer treaty language to enforce this.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm curious about the new Phoenix Ghost drones the U.S. is reportedly supplying to Ukraine, but I haven't found much information other than it is akin to the switchblade.

>>>The exact capabilities that Phoenix Ghost will offer to Ukraine are being kept under wraps, as Kirby declined to comment. But he did say the drone is “akin” to the Switchblade drone that the U.S. has already delivered to Ukraine.<<<

Wonder why this is made public by the US. One way? 120? Need a 1000 or more.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
This is actually "old" news from a couple weeks ago, but I hadn't heard about it before.

>>>The United States said on Wednesday that it had secretly removed malware from computer networks around the world in recent weeks, a step to pre-empt Russian cyberattacks and send a message to President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia. . . .

The malware enabled the Russians to create “botnets” — networks of private computers that are infected with malicious software and controlled by the G.R.U., the intelligence arm of the Russian military. But it is unclear what the malware was intended to do, since it could be used for everything from surveillance to destructive attacks.

An American official said on Wednesday that the United States did not want to wait to find out. Armed with secret court orders in the United States and the help of governments around the world, the Justice Department and the F.B.I. disconnected the networks from the G.R.U.’s own controllers.<<<

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
This is actually "old" news from a couple weeks ago, but I hadn't heard about it before.

>>>The United States said on Wednesday that it had secretly removed malware from computer networks around the world in recent weeks, a step to pre-empt Russian cyberattacks and send a message to President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia. . . .

The malware enabled the Russians to create “botnets” — networks of private computers that are infected with malicious software and controlled by the G.R.U., the intelligence arm of the Russian military. But it is unclear what the malware was intended to do, since it could be used for everything from surveillance to destructive attacks.

An American official said on Wednesday that the United States did not want to wait to find out. Armed with secret court orders in the United States and the help of governments around the world, the Justice Department and the F.B.I. disconnected the networks from the G.R.U.’s own controllers.<<<

This brings to mind a question that pops into my mind every time I read of some cyber-shenanigans emanating from Russia or China. Why don't we hear more about US measures to combat this stuff? Are they keeping their powder dry for some instance when revealing/unleashing countermeasures is considered justifiable?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis