JBL Studio 530 and My Grand Atmos Experiment

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well ya know, it’s the next logical step. Lol. JK of course.

Curious where it put his voice on your system. I haven’t checked it out on my other setups.
Oh it's not as jk as it might sound. It really is my next logical step, and within my capability to do. I've just been lazy about it...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yes! You should look into some in ceilings and see what it would take. I can't do it downstairs but did it upstairs and they look good and it's nice having them there.

I paid for install so that cost a bit. Speakers really not that expensive when you look at it over the long hall.
I wonder if this was meant for @Pogre? I’ve been Atmos capable for a few years.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oh it's not as jk as it might sound. It really is my next logical step, and within my capability to do. I've just been lazy about it...
I hate when I get lazy about shitt. I ask myself later on, like why do wait so long to do things? Lol

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
IMG_0102.jpg

From my earlier post:
Regarding my room, it is 11'6" x 15'3". My right (N) wall is 98"H to the low slope of the clerestory ceiling. The left (S) wall is 89" to finished trim and the "loft." The trim is another 5-1/2" (effectively a finished 2x6) potentially giving me 94" to work with.
Where I generally sit, my ears are ~11'3" off the front wall, and 8'8" from the Front Speakers.

When I am watching a movie, I am less upright, and have measured that to be about 46" ear height.

This is what I am working with for creating my "Bubble"
This is what I'm working with, guys.

Atmos speakers would be twice my ear height, roughly. (Which does check out in the Dolby Specs... But not necessarily the vertical angle.

As you can see in the drawing, the RH/TB position would be a little wider than the 45º, but would be best I can do for wall mounting

Distance from TF-TB is about 12'.
Distance from TF to potential TM placement would be about 7'

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Are the front atmos supposed to hit right at you or a bit in front of you? I don't recall

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
According to the Video Danzilla posted earlier, the guy recommends aiming at you so you get full SQ across seating area..

I will be inverting the 530s, and they do a little better if you are below the tweeter in normal orientation... I'm gonna aim for my heart... Center mass. ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
According to the Video Danzilla posted earlier, the guy recommends aiming at you so you get full SQ across seating area..

I will be inverting the 530s, and they do a little better if you are below the tweeter in normal orientation... I'm gonna aim for my heart... Center mass. ;)
So are you mounting high on the wall and aiming down or mounting them to the ceiling? Either way I don't see why it wouldn't work with the right angles.

You are putting ideas in my head. I have pair of those DCM TP160s I got on the cheap when they were selling on ebay a while back. They're really pretty good speakers too, but collecting dust. I might be able to find a second pair...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So are you mounting high on the wall and aiming down or mounting them to the ceiling? Either way I don't see why it wouldn't work with the right angles.

You are putting ideas in my head. I have pair of those DCM TP160s I got on the cheap when they were selling on ebay a while back. They're really pretty good speakers too, but collecting dust. I might be able to find a second pair...
These are all wall mounted at twice my ear height, as high on the wall as I can fit them. Post #22 has the photos with locations marked, too.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
These are all wall mounted at twice my ear height, as high on the wall as I can fit them. Post #22 has the photos with locations marked, too.
Gotcha.

I have high ceilings and can mount them a good 7' more than ear height...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Gotcha.

I have high ceilings and can mount them a good 7' more than ear height...
Check out the vids "Zilla posted on the first page. they're about 30 minutes each, but solid info. The Dolby PDF isn't really 60 pages, but it does have the key info about ideal angles.

I think this is the biggest part in Atmos is getting good coverage. I suspect, for the people that complain about it most, they are not properly set up. In fact the guy gives an example in one of the vids with pink noise off axis from a ceiling Speaker: we know what should happen if we think about it for a second, and this guy puts it out there to hear. By the time you get say three seats off axis of that Speaker, all the highs are gone and you just have the lows.

Ideally I would have my Atmos Speakers Higher, I think, to get the appropriate angles, and they would be narrower if I could do ceiling mounts, bringing them into the room about 2' or so.
Regardless...
Eager to hear Bill and Zilla's thoughts. :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Check out the vids "Zilla posted on the first page. they're about 30 minutes each, but solid info. The Dolby PDF isn't really 60 pages, but it does have the key info about ideal angles.

I think this is the biggest part in Atmos is getting good coverage. I suspect, for the people that complain about it most, they are not properly set up. In fact the guy gives an example in one of the vids with pink noise off axis from a ceiling Speaker: we know what should happen if we think about it for a second, and this guy puts it out there to hear. By the time you get say three seats off axis of that Speaker, all the highs are gone and you just have the lows.

Ideally I would have my Atmos Speakers Higher, I think, to get the appropriate angles, and they would be narrower if I could do ceiling mounts, bringing them into the room about 2' or so.
Regardless...
Okay great pic great diagram thank you. So the surrounds and rear surrounds your moving down to floor level correct?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
They have to have separation from the height speakers is why I'm asking

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Regardless...
Yeah that channel is a gold mine of good information. I mean he has like 48 videos and he goes over everything. What to look for with measurements on speakers. How much power do you really need How to calculate it. Room treatments speaker layouts sub setup sub calibration and level matching. How to use room eq he even has videos showing how to setup DSP in Behringer amps for your subs How to setup the filters Dolby atmos.

It's all great stuff. It's all stuff Gene has put out it's just nice to see it broken down in video form so you can visualize it

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I hope you don't mind me butting in @ryanosaur but what you're doing here is something I could do too so I'm interested.
Okay great pic great diagram thank you. So the surrounds and rear surrounds your moving down to floor level correct?
They have to have separation from the height speakers is why I'm asking
Here is where I might run into trouble. My side surrounds are pretty high already. Over 6' (head height) off the ground and angled sharply down. I have a tall ceiling so wall mounted atmos speakers would still have some distance between them but probably not enough... I don't have a good solution for that unless I go with in walls for surrounds.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis