2022, Current top 5 most competent full range speakers in budget/mid/high-end ranges?

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Shoe collecting, what?
Yea, sorry, a joke. Shoe collecting and trading is a multi-million dollar industry now. Crazy stupid. Pristine old Jordans from the 90's for example, just look it up and you'll just be gobsmacked people are spending money on shoes just to put on a shelf.

As for how one buys their toys, there's no right or wrong way. Doesn't matter if it's all cash or financed in some way. Either way that person signing up for that expense. Mostly just picked brackets based on what you tend to see. When someone joins a forum and is looking to get into audio let alone upgrade, how often are they saying their budget is over $10k?

Very best,

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I definitely look forward to real world results with them, even if they don't hit 30hz in a room, but if they're in that 30~40hz range and bookshelf size, plus amazing to listen to and superb measurements, then they should be a hit. Plus they're not exorbitantly priced as a veblen unlike some others (such as those in that linked thread from stereophiles).

Very best,
Let me give you some advice from someone who has walked the walk. A full range speaker with a 3db point around 20 Hz is a formidable affair. In my view a speaker with a 3db point at 30 Hz 3db point is not really full range. That last 10 Hz makes a difference.

The problem with making a truly full range speaker is enormous. To be honest there really is no good passive solutions. To make a really superb full range speaker, it has to be at least partially active.

The next problem you have to solve is the large cabinet and how to avoid troublesome reflections from the front baffle.

A full range speaker is going to be at least a three way. That is going to cause grave difficulties with the low pass/band pass crossover. The component values are high and expensive. For the inductors if you use an air core, then the resistance will be high upsetting Q and bass tuning, as the resistance will be high. So generally iron cored inductors will be required with their attendant hysteresis problems. The caps will have very high values and if you avoid using electrolytic caps, it gets very expensive.

The next issue is control and level matching. An active solution makes this much better easier and achieves far better results.

This is the reason subs are powered as it enforces an active solution. Having said that an integrated speaker is a better solution. As a receiver and sub is effectively an off the shelf non custom solution.

So, you have to get creative to solve avoiding the large baffle.

The only passive crossover is to the tweeter, the other three are active. If you are going to use the speaker for HT, then you have to capture the LFE signal, which this design does. Only an active solution makes this possible.

The active solution makes the system much easier to voice to the room.

Speaker FR at 1 meter on tweeter axis.

Room FR at MLP all speakers driven.

So you do need to have control of the low end in real rooms.

Now here is a solution using an oval driver, it is a passive solution with an F3 around 30 Hz. However the crossover components cost a small fortune, without using exotic caps etc.

This is the FR.

The response is dropping at 24db per octave at 30 Hz.

These are two of the same drivers in an active solution, in a TL, so the taper below F3 is 12db per octave.

That is from one of my rear backs, that were my main stereo pair three houses ago. So this is their third location.

I think that if you go for a speaker with an F3 below 40 Hz that has a nice flat mid band response and good dispersion, you will do fine. If you want below 30 Hz, then you get into expense. Full range speakers are difficult, and passive ones will have limitations compared to active solutions.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yea, sorry, a joke. Shoe collecting and trading is a multi-million dollar industry now. Crazy stupid. Pristine old Jordans from the 90's for example, just look it up and you'll just be gobsmacked people are spending money on shoes just to put on a shelf.

As for how one buys their toys, there's no right or wrong way. Doesn't matter if it's all cash or financed in some way. Either way that person signing up for that expense. Mostly just picked brackets based on what you tend to see. When someone joins a forum and is looking to get into audio let alone upgrade, how often are they saying their budget is over $10k?

Very best,
Yeah I'm aware of the nuttiness with athletic shoes particularly (and there are some very expensive handcrafted italian shoes too, and they're far more interesting as shoes to me altho I am very basic with shoes myself, I only use a new pair after wearing out an old one). Thought with the sigh you meant you'd been spending money on that stuff :) I just don't encourage being in financial debt, just increases costs generally. There are those who shop for audio in this price range certainly.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
I think that if you go for a speaker with an F3 below 40 Hz that has a nice flat mid band response and good dispersion, you will do fine. If you want below 30 Hz, then you get into expense. Full range speakers are difficult, and passive ones will have limitations compared to active solutions.
Thanks; always excellent information. This is pretty much why the 30hz range was selected for most speakers to at least be close to. As it's not expected for just any speaker to be full range into the 20's like you mentioned without a lot more going on, but it would be expected from something more expensive again for the reasons you stated. So as you pointed out, going for 30hz as a full range goal across the board and lower is better if able, looks like a great point to be at for the brackets being discussed here for this context of just having a full range stereo system and no subs.

I guess it would help to have a better way to call something full range, like "full range 30" or "full range 20" and crazy stuff like "full range 16" or what have you.

Very best,

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
My picks for Top 5 Full Range Speakers in various price ranges. I've heard & recommend all of them. Prices keep going up, especially oceanic shipping.
Under $1,000
I yield to others who know more speakers in this price range.​

$1,700 to $3,700
Philharmonic Audio BMR Monitor
$1,700 36Hz – 20kHz (±2dB) Anechoic​
A big 3-way bookshelf speaker. Among the best sounding and best imaging speaker I've heard.​

Salk SongTower II
$2,795 in black or white satin, $2,995 in std veneers​
35Hz – 20kHz (±3 dB)​

Salk Song3
$3,495 in black or white satin, $3,695 in std veneers​
33Hz – 40kHz (±3 dB)​
If you’re still interested in a Big Center speaker, see the Salk Song3 Center (35Hz – 40kHz, ±3dB).

$3,700 to $5,200
Philharmonic Audio BMR Tower
$3,700 25 Hz-20kHz (+1.5/-3db) Anechoic (Very similar sounding to the BMR Monitor, with deeper bass in a mass-loaded transmission line cabinet. It's hard to beat this speaker at any price!)​

Salk Veracity ST
$4,695 in black or white satin, $4,995 in std veneers​
34Hz - 40kHz (±3 dB) (I own and love a pair of these. Same small footprint as SongTower II)​

Salk Song3-A
$4495 in black or white satin, $4,795 in std veneers​
33Hz - 40kHz (±3 dB) (more detailed mid-range than Song3)​

Salk Veracity HT2-TL
$4,895 in black or white satin, $5,195 in std veneers​
34Hz - 40kHz (±3 dB) (Larger & louder version of Salk Veracity ST)​

Over $5,200
Salk Song3 Encore
$6,295 in black or white satin, $6,595 in std veneers​
25Hz - 40kHz (±3 dB) (Larger woofer, bigger cabinet & different mid than Song3/3-A ST)​

No need to go to higher price, unless you’re looking for custom finishes. Manufacturers looking to make a big statement at audio shows produce one-off speakers that cost at least 5 figures. They don't really expect to sell more than one or two pairs.

Dennis Murphy designed all these speakers. If it isn't already obvious, I'm a fan boy.
Thanks for posting this!!

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hrm,

We have lots of options and I'm sure many more on the way for upper mid-tier and high end and summit level with a sprinkle of veblen speakers so far.

Any thoughts on the mid tier speakers (up to $2k maybe)? We have only a handful listed.

Currently only 1 budget speaker listed so far (JBL). Surely there are more in this range.

Either way, looking forward to more suggestions - I've seen 2 speakers so far here that I never knew existed, and that's a great thing.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Any thoughts/reviews on the following for budget and mid-tier stuff (some big box and some I.D.):

Definitive Tech BP9040 (built in 8" sub) at $1k per pair (mid tier)
Definitive Tech BP9080X (built in 8" sub) at $2.6k per pair (upper mid tier and into higher end)
KEF Q950 at $1600 per pair (mid-tier)
HTD Level Three Towers ($1.1 per pair) as lower mid-tier
Chane A5.5 as budget to low mid tier, at $1k per pair
Chane L7 as mid-tier to entry high-end at $2.5k per pair
Chane 753 as mid-tier at $1800 per pair
JBL A190 as budget tier, $600 per pair when on sale
SVS Prime Pinnacle in mid-tier at $1800 per pair
SVS Prime at entry to mid-tier at $1200 per pair

It's hard to find options in the $600 range, very few seem to care to review them let alone measure them outside of a few.

Very best,

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hrm,

We have lots of options and I'm sure many more on the way for upper mid-tier and high end and summit level with a sprinkle of veblen speakers so far.

Any thoughts on the mid tier speakers (up to $2k maybe)? We have only a handful listed.

Currently only 1 budget speaker listed so far (JBL). Surely there are more in this range.

Either way, looking forward to more suggestions - I've seen 2 speakers so far here that I never knew existed, and that's a great thing.

Very best,
Whats the rule on price, list or?

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Whats the rule on price, list or?
Here's the beginning of the discussion on that, it's not hard set, just some numbers to get started with:

Not sure what we could even call the budget ranges of these, but if anyone has a good idea for that, feel free to help establish a range. I was thinking up to $500~600 or lower as a range for the absolute lowest budget limit for a pair on speakers. Anything over that and up to $2k could be mid-tier maybe as a pair but maybe some options at $1k and $2k? Over that is high-end perhaps? So maybe $2k to $5k as a pair. And anything over $5k per pair or more is pretty much summit-level or another arbitrary word to convey the idea? Not trying to go the range of upwards of those $50k~100k options, unicorn dust and all, trying to keep it fairly reasonable with things that people actually have a chance to audition in real life and not just read about and see pretty pictures and enormous price tags, if that makes sense. Let's assume it's new or available online or in a store as refurbished/used, not just a used market value that not everyone can even access.
Very best,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Here's the beginning of the discussion on that, it's not hard set, just some numbers to get started with:

Very best,
I was wondering as the list price on the 590s is $2k/pr, the $900 or $800 pr prices are available on occasion, but does that mean we always go to best sale or negotiated price elsewhere and how do we know what that is? Personally having the 590s and obtained on a good deal, still wouldn't particularly call them budget compared to some others.....

(like the RBH pricing which between list and able to be negotiated seems to have a huge difference)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
These will do it for $2K

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
For the past few years I thought owning a pair of Klipsch RF7 III would be the last and best I'll ever have. Never in a million year did I think I would buy more speakers but if I did they would have to be something extraordinary to justify it. Now that I have a set of BMR Towers on the way I feel like a whole new person. I just wish I could have heard them first.
Interesting, what was the difference and would you use for music or home theater primarily?
If home theater, curous what you round out your set with. That's the dilemma I face. If buying a pair of towers for music then I understand going big with some of these higher end models. But if you have an existing 7.2.4 setup then how do you go from that to upgrading all those speakers (or do you) :)

Thanks for sharing

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
But if you have an existing 7.2.4 setup then how do you go from that to upgrading all those speakers (or do you)
I agree. That gets difficult from a cost and time perspective! :) As for why, I think that comes down to one of two things: Sound Signature/Performance or Aesthetics.
If I could find the Horns that worked for me and I hit the money tree one day, I could see trying the opposite of what I have in going from Wide Dispersion to Controlled Directivity designs. Perhaps an upgraded version of the JBL HDIs hits the street in a few years, or the Studio5 becomes Studio7 here in the states (Still want so very much to get to play with those Asian market 3-way towers in the Studio 6 line, especially considering how everybody has raved about the 5s here and with my new experience hearing the 530s).
Of course, if the money tree was having a bumper crop at time of harvest, some JTRs would be fantastic! :p
I digress.
Back to the point at hand, using Klipsch as an example, it is well known that they have some design flaws, and while they are not necessarily bad Speakers, by the measurement I would never try them out. Give me a smoother mid range (something Danzilla even heard comparing his 8000s to the JBL 590s) and I may well consider them anew. (I do love the looks of them, and the most common praise of them is how exciting they are.)
On the other hand, I chose my Speakers based on their overall neutrality and accuracy: Is there a way to couple the two? :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
These will do it for $2K

Those don't quite meet this thread's criteria. They seem to have a sharp rolloff at around 35Hz. The impedance graph indicates port tuning is around 40Hz. They do have very good measurements, but you will need a subwoofer if you want really deep bass with those.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I agree. That gets difficult from a cost and time perspective! :) As for why, I think that comes down to one of two things: Sound Signature/Performance or Aesthetics.
If I could find the Horns that worked for me and I hit the money tree one day, I could see trying the opposite of what I have in going from Wide Dispersion to Controlled Directivity designs. Perhaps an upgraded version of the JBL HDIs hits the street in a few years, or the Studio5 becomes Studio7 here in the states (Still want so very much to get to play with those Asian market 3-way towers in the Studio 6 line, especially considering how everybody has raved about the 5s here and with my new experience hearing the 530s).
Of course, if the money tree was having a bumper crop at time of harvest, some JTRs would be fantastic! :p
I digress.
Back to the point at hand, using Klipsch as an example, it is well known that they have some design flaws, and while they are not necessarily bad Speakers, by the measurement I would never try them out. Give me a smoother mid range (something Danzilla even heard comparing his 8000s to the JBL 590s) and I may well consider them anew. (I do love the looks of them, and the most common praise of them is how exciting they are.)
On the other hand, I chose my Speakers based on their overall neutrality and accuracy: Is there a way to couple the two? :D
Yessir. Looks like the Studio 6 series is coming and the 698 is 3 way but the drivers seem the same as the 590 so how much better? Well it's 3 way with a mid. The package seems the same as present HDI. So those will be interesting. Look better too.

Studio 6 Series (jbl.com)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yessir. Looks like the Studio 6 series is coming and the 698 is 3 way but the drivers seem the same as the 590 so how much better? Well it's 3 way with a mid. The package seems the same as present HDI. So those will be interesting. Look better too.

Studio 6 Series (jbl.com)
Now that is exciting.
The HDIs are a little too rich... but these, if they are as good as the Studio 5s, can be quite cool indeed.
*fingers crossed

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis