2022, Current top 5 most competent full range speakers in budget/mid/high-end ranges?

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
:)
(I still use a sub.)
:p
For sure, I'm a basshead, a sad lowly basshead, so I like having lots of big sufwoofers on all my systems (within reason, a few I do not, such as the one my 8 year old uses).

But, that's another topic. :p

Very best,

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
For sure, I'm a basshead, a sad lowly basshead, so I like having lots of big sufwoofers on all my systems (within reason, a few I do not, such as the one my 8 year old uses).

But, that's another topic. :p

Very best,
Those LX's just about make it for full range. I wouldn't be surprised if they dig below 30 hz in room. They just became available for pre-order a couple weeks ago tho so there aren't any third party measurements or reviews yet, but the manufacturer intentionally designed these to have world class measurements at any price point and have excellent on and off axis behavior so they're super linear even off axis. And that bass, for a bookshelf is pretty amazing too.

Like I said I'll bet it won't be long before one of them hits Amir's bench and starts making some noise with the hard-core objectivists over at ASR. I'm confident they'll sound good too. Dave makes it clear that he doesn't like the idea of rating speakers based on measurements alone and that he doesn't particularly like how the Harman speaker score is tabulated, but took on the challenge anyway and developed the LX. Not only to measure well, but to also measure well.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Those LX's just about make it for full range. I wouldn't be surprised if they dig below 30 hz in room. They just became available for pre-order a couple weeks ago tho so there aren't any third party measurements or reviews yet, but the manufacturer intentionally designed these to have world class measurements at any price point and have excellent on and off axis behavior so they're super linear even off axis. And that bass, for a bookshelf is pretty amazing too.

Like I said I'll bet it won't be long before one of them hits Amir's bench and starts making some noise with the hard-core objectivists over at ASR. I'm confident they'll sound good too. Dave makes it clear that he doesn't like the idea of rating speakers based on measurements alone and that he doesn't particularly like how the Harman speaker score is tabulated, but took on the challenge anyway and developed the LX. Not only to measure well, but to also measure well.
I definitely look forward to real world results with them, even if they don't hit 30hz in a room, but if they're in that 30~40hz range and bookshelf size, plus amazing to listen to and superb measurements, then they should be a hit. Plus they're not exorbitantly priced as a veblen unlike some others (such as those in that linked thread from stereophiles).

Very best,

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
These don't give up anything really in the bass department and the price isn't astronomical, aesthetics aren't for everyone, tho and the price has creeped up a bit https://www.jtrspeakers.com/jtr-noesis-215rt
The price isn't inconsiderable, likely going over 10k/pair after shipping. Although it will have enormous dynamic range down to 20Hz, well above that of most other speakers, if fed enough power.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The price isn't inconsiderable, likely going over 10k/pair after shipping. Although it will have enormous dynamic range down to 20Hz, well above that of most other speakers, if fed enough power.
Yeah, still, that's not a horrible price for the performance aspects. I'd rather have a full ranger that digs deep if I have to go without subs (which I probably wouldn't anyways). The RBH SVTR package is quite a bit more....

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
These don't give up anything really in the bass department and the price isn't astronomical, aesthetics aren't for everyone, tho and the price has creeped up a bit https://www.jtrspeakers.com/jtr-noesis-215rt
Definitely utilitarian, but I can't turn anything away for looks since it's not just for me. That said, I'm ok with utilitarian looks like that. It's all business. Very impressive specs. Priced significantly at nearly 10k a pair, but not veblen level. And if it really does drop that deep, then they're really full range. I assume they sound great to command that price and not have a bunch of gold and velvet. Heck they look DIY.

Very best,

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, still, that's not a horrible price for the performance aspects. I'd rather have a full ranger that digs deep if I have to go without subs (which I probably wouldn't anyways). The RBH SVTR package is quite a bit more....
The SVTR is a good bit more but they sure are a lot prettier in the eye of this beholder!

I think the Noesis would stomp them for dynamic headroom and sensitivity tho. They're not as pretty, but every dollar spent goes straight into top of the line performance with those. And to be fair I've seen a pair or 2 of Noesis' with upgraded gloss finishes that actually looked not too bad at all.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Definitely utilitarian, but I can't turn anything away for looks since it's not just for me. That said, I'm ok with utilitarian looks like that. It's all business. Very impressive specs. Priced significantly at nearly 10k a pair, but not veblen level. And if it really does drop that deep, then they're really full range. I assume they sound great to command that price and not have a bunch of gold and velvet. Heck they look DIY.

Very best,
Yeah, they really drop that deep, data-bass.com ranks them right with sub systems.... https://data-bass.com/#/systems/5c2656621cefb00004803ab3?_k=htb7pb

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Very best,
Like I said in my last post they're performance first before anything else and use very expensive high performance drivers. They really are a lot of speaker!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@MalVeauX, these are the SVTR Towers HD referenced.

image_large2 (3).jpeg

They're modular speakers, basically a big bookshelf on top of a subwoofer so you really don't need a sub with these either, and I think they're beautiful. Those could be some endgame speakers for me. If you talk to a dealer you can get close to 50% off on those.

Or you could go for broke, get 2 more of those subs and get the SVTRS system!

image_large2 (4).jpeg

**DROOL**

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The SVTR is a good bit more but they sure are a lot prettier in the eye of this beholder!

I think the Noesis would stomp them for dynamic headroom and sensitivity tho.
The Noesis might have a headroom advantage and be somewhat more sensitive, but let's be honest, the SVTRS will have way more headroom than anyone would ever practically use unless they were in a gigantic room. Headroom becomes moot after a certain point in dynamic range. Either speaker could induce permanent hearing damage fairly easily.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The Noesis might have a headroom advantage and be somewhat more sensitive, but let's be honest, the SVTRS will have way more headroom than anyone would ever practically use unless they were in a gigantic room. Headroom becomes moot after a certain point in dynamic range. Either speaker could induce permanent hearing damage fairly easily.
Oh I agree. The SVTRs would have more than enough headroom for me too. They're endgame speakers for me. I have the room too. I really want to get a pair.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Yea, those SVTRS are awesome, but at the same time, they're borderline as they're well into summit level stuff and for many people, probably most people, they're just veblen speakers. They are attractive without trying hard and I'm sure they're excellent. I'll never have a pair unless they're delivered to the wrong address by accident lol. There's a lot of competition in that $25k+ range though, many things myself and others have likely never even heard of, let alone heard. Hard to audition these kinds of things so then it just becomes a leap of faith due to cost that they're awesome.

Very best,

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yea, those SVTRS are awesome, but at the same time, they're borderline as they're well into summit level stuff and for many people, probably most people, they're just veblen speakers. They are attractive without trying hard and I'm sure they're excellent. I'll never have a pair unless they're delivered to the wrong address by accident lol. There's a lot of competition in that $25k+ range though, many things myself and others have likely never even heard of, let alone heard. Hard to audition these kinds of things so then it just becomes a leap of faith due to cost that they're awesome.

Very best,
It's been a while, but I did contact a dealer and was quoted under $7500 for a pair of the SVTR Towers. That was $1725 apiece for the two SV-831R speakers and $1981 each for two of the SV-1212NR subwoofers. You combine them into tower speakers from there. I think for some more money they'll come with crossovers built in and behave just like full on full range towers.

That puts them within realistic range for me. If I sell off everything else I have. Damnit, lol. Like I said tho, that was last year so they've likely gone up, but still much better than the list price.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
It's been a while, but I did contact a dealer and was quoted under $7500 for a pair of the SVTR Towers. That was $1725 apiece for the two SV-831R speakers and $1981 each for two of the SV-1212NR subwoofers.

That puts them within realistic range for me. If I sell off everything else I have. Damnit, lol. Like I said tho, that was last year so they've likely gone up, but still much better than the list price.
Sure, $7500 is realistic for people who are enthusiastic for that. For sure. I think under $10k in general is doable for anyone who's into this without being wealthy, because a $10k loan is affordable if you had to go that route and really wanted something like this. No different than cameras, lenses, telescopes, drones, GPUs (sigh), etc, shoe collecting (lol, sigh) and that's nothing compared to boats, motorcycles and cars, etc.

I was mainly looking at their double tower in the $25k+ listed range (cheaper from a dealer with a sale, but that's not what is listed for someone who is shopping). Over $10k is one thing, but $20k+ and more? Well, there's no limit, but there's a soft limit somewhere in there for all of us. Can't put lines in the sand on that since there's no way to make that work in reality. But that's why there are budge brackets and for someone who's in a bracket above summit level, well, their limit is unspoken.

Very best,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sure, $7500 is realistic for people who are enthusiastic for that. For sure. I think under $10k in general is doable for anyone who's into this without being wealthy, because a $10k loan is affordable if you had to go that route and really wanted something like this. No different than cameras, lenses, telescopes, drones, GPUs (sigh), etc, shoe collecting (lol, sigh) and that's nothing compared to boats, motorcycles and cars, etc.

I was mainly looking at their double tower in the $25k+ listed range (cheaper from a dealer with a sale, but that's not what is listed for someone who is shopping). Over $10k is one thing, but $20k+ and more? Well, there's no limit, but there's a soft limit somewhere in there for all of us. Can't put lines in the sand on that since there's no way to make that work in reality. But that's why there are budge brackets and for someone who's in a bracket above summit level, well, their limit is unspoken.

Very best,
I'd don't borrow money to buy most stuff, but especially luxuries like audio. $10k just isn't all that much these days otoh. Shoe collecting, what?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis