davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Just took the plunge and installed it on my 9th gen intel core i5 laptop. So far so good everything seems to be working. Anyone else have any good or bad experience with win 11?

jinjuku

jinjuku

The fact that they've changed the entire context of the right click? I dunno. In a fit of rage two months ago after another MS update borked something for me (My VMWare nested virtualization) I removed M$ everywhere I could and now run Ubuntu.

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
The fact that they've changed the entire context of the right click? I dunno. In a fit of rage two months ago after another MS updated borked something for me (My VMWare nested virtualization) I removed M$ everywhere I could and now run Ubuntu.
Haven't noticed the right click issue yet but I'll definitely check it out. Thanks.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I have it on my tablet and it's fine. I don't generally update my OS unless there is a reason and so far there isn't a compelling reason for me to upgrade from Windows 10 yet.

I'll wait until all the pissed off people yell at MS for breaking stuff and let them fix it before I upgrade.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
For what specific reason did you upgrade? I don't see any purpose unless someone has an Alder Lake processor, PCIe 5.0 nvme and DDR5 ram.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
For what specific reason did you upgrade? I don't see any purpose unless someone has an Alder Lake processor, PCIe 5.0 nvme and DDR5 ram.
I work in IT so having the ability to test things is a must. Plus, it's something I can just roll back on my tablet so I don't care much.

My main gaming PC is another story. I'll be pissed if it has issues. I can update it since it's the latest AMD system, but I'm not an early adopter (beta tester).

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I work in IT so having the ability to test things is a must. Plus, it's something I can just roll back on my tablet so I don't care much.

My main gaming PC is another story. I'll be pissed if it has issues. I can update it since it's the latest AMD system, but I'm not an early adopter (beta tester).
It's quite annoying that despite win11 being released early Oct 2021, I fully agree with you with recent MS software code quality releases I also consider it still in the beta stage.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic

Many PC gamers like to use mods and some of the apps like WeMod still will not work on Win 11. The OS is targeting gamers for its performance and latest hardware support but would leave power gamers furious.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So far I've yet to see a single benchmark where win11 is faster than win10. Wasn't security was a bigger "selling point" on 11?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Many PC gamers like to use mods and some of the apps like WeMod still will not work on Win 11. The OS is targeting gamers for its performance and latest hardware support but would leave power gamers furious.
Initial reports for my hardware and win 11 weren't good. Probably driver related knowing AMD, but I'm not going to lose performance (or my time) messing with 11 yet. My motherboard/cpu/gpu combo has already been a pain because of BIOS nonsense so I'm going to enjoy my stable system for now. :)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I've got 11 on a lap top and no issues and 10 on my desktop, haven't updated it yet.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've got 11 on a lap top and no issues and 10 on my desktop, haven't updated it yet.
Same here. It's fine on my kid's mini pcs too, but I don't like the fact that you "have" to sign in with a MS account. I know that if you can disable anything network related it'll still let you create a local account, but I'm old school in that I don't like to be forced to do things on my PC.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Same here. It's fine on my kid's mini pcs too, but I don't like the fact that you "have" to sign in with a MS account. I know that if you can disable anything network related it'll still let you create a local account, but I'm old school in that I don't like to be forced to do things on my PC.
A few options: https://winaero.com/windows-11-sign-in-automatically-without-a-password/

and

In the pop-up window, enter the password of the user account and click Yes. Next, press Windows + R, type netplwiz in the Run dialog, and press Enter. Uncheck the option “User must enter a user name and password to use this computer”. Click OK to enable auto login in Windows 11

I really don't mind it, I use a 4 digit code so somebody other than me or my wife cannot access the PC.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Old thread, but I need to ask-

Alpha male
Beta tester
Gamma hater of the Beta test?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
A few options: https://winaero.com/windows-11-sign-in-automatically-without-a-password/

and

In the pop-up window, enter the password of the user account and click Yes. Next, press Windows + R, type netplwiz in the Run dialog, and press Enter. Uncheck the option “User must enter a user name and password to use this computer”. Click OK to enable auto login in Windows 11

I really don't mind it, I use a 4 digit code so somebody other than me or my wife cannot access the PC.
Same here. I use the functionality, I just don't like that they try to force it. I'm just being a pain.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I'm on the horns of this dilemma as well. In this thread Time to Build a New Box I haven't quite decided to go Win 10 or Win 11 although I'm leaning towards Win 11 as this "new" box should last me well past the October 2025 cutoff date for Microsoft support of Win 10.

Even though it won't have what @WookieGR states above as his requirement for it "I don't see any purpose unless someone has an Alder Lake processor, PCIe 5.0 nvme and DDR5 ram"; I'm interested a bit in Intel's /Microsoft's Thread Director which (so far) is only available on Win 11. I've started the build off with a i7-12700K which I bought yesterday. I doubt I'll ever see any real benefit as I'll probably never load up the 8 Performance Cores - never mind the 4 E cores, but in case I do someday, it may be useful.

On the Intel NUC I put together (not much effort there) last September (?), I put Win 11 on it to get used to the wrinkles of it. (I used a method to use a local account to install. I don't like to be forced into using a Microsoft Account - even though I have one. ) I too don't like the "Right Click" issues, and some other quirks. But as I do IT support for close friends and family, I figured I'd better migrate to it before one of them calls me with issues. My Mom yesterday asked me if it's time to let her Laptop upgrade to Win 11. I advised her there's no real benefit so far, but we should get it done in the summer of 2025.

For most folks, with existing PCs, I see little benefit so far to move to Win 11. But if you want to stay current, sooner or later (October 2025) you'll definitely want to take the plunge.

JastinFerro

JastinFerro

Audiophyte
I have win11 installed on my gaming laptop - no complaints, everything is very fine and I've just been getting high for years! Also I have installed win11 on my work computer, and you know I'm terribly annoyed when an update comes out but it is not downloaded yet, you start to have a terrible slow computer, RAM loaded at 99% and CPU at 80+, the computer is quite powerful was collected under gaming, only you go to the update center, download, install, reboot, and everything works again, as if it were nothing and was not.
In general, interesting win11 as it may be :) not so long ago visited a friend at his win10, I do not understand how I used to use it).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I installed windows 11 on the studio HTPC a few months ago and no issues.

The problem is that my laptop can not be updated, nor can our office windows computer, the HTPC in the in wall system and also my DAW. This is really annoying as the office and DAW are fairly recent rebuilds. So I think Microsoft are really creating a lot of problems and expense for people. So I might just risk it and go without the updates. I probably will replace my laptop, but probably not the rest. I am really loath to mess around with the DAW as it works so perfectly.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I installed windows 11 on the studio HTPC a few months ago and no issues.

The problem is that my laptop can not be updated, nor can our office windows computer, the HTPC in the in wall system and also my DAW. This is really annoying as the office and DAW are fairly recent rebuilds. So I think Microsoft are really creating a lot of problems and expense for people. So I might just risk it and go without the updates. I probably will replace my laptop, but probably not the rest. I am really loath to mess around with the DAW as it works so perfectly.
Make sure you've got the latest BIOS installed. I was ineligible for the Win11 upgrade on my desktop until I flashed the latest Bios.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Make sure you've got the latest BIOS installed. I was ineligible for the Win11 upgrade on my desktop until I flashed the latest Bios.
As I understand it they don't have the right processors or mother boards to update.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis