15x25’ new home theater budget 20k ish

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Is there a trade off for picture quality to have a screen that sound goes through?
Yes... even the best AT Screen will affect SQ to some extent. The PJ crew will have to expound on that more.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yes... even the best AT Screen will affect SQ to some extent. The PJ crew will have to expound on that more.
I believe you can eq those SQ issues but you'll need to be able to take proper measurements to know what the screen is actually doing to the sound

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
TLS Guy and Red Charles, thank you for the massive amount of information. I’m in the middle of an addition and rehab on my existing home. So the electronics for the theater is not something I had an immense amount of time to plan, although I know enough to at least get the cabling in. To answer some of the questions: yes the drywall Is up. No the wiring to speaker placements are not in conduit (F*%K!) however I did run dedicated power and I think it’s called cat 6 or something like that to projector area. Also ran an 1 1/2” flex line there for whatever I would need but didn’t know about yet. All of these wires terminate in the ab closet located just outside theater in the hall. I must admit I’m a lot lost in all the model numbers and “nits” and most other technical terminology you guys gave me. Who wants to come fishing in Florida and help me set this up?!! Lol I’m not a “gamer” but would like to have the capability. More interested in a quality movie pic that won’t be blurry when camera shots moves around in a film. I am attaching a few more photos as requested. The ceiling vaults out at 12’6”. There was some extra space up too behind the crowd that could be used for something if there was a need. Currently the projector platform is 17’ back from where a fixed mount screen would go. Yes it is a dedicated theater. I also am going to do stadium seating but not sure how high the second row should be from the first. Thanks guys! Of course it won’t let me upload pics. All
Of a sudden they are to large happy to email them. Thank you again!!
Can you change the resolution of the camera for the pictures it takes on your phone? A lot of us have this problem but changing the resolution out of high definition will make the file smaller

My old phone used to take pictures in HD say for example 2240 x 3680 the files were to large to send

When I lowered the resolution of my camera out of HD say for example 1440 x 700 the files could be downloaded onto the site no problem

That way you can send us those pictures being able to see your room would be very helpful for us

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Lol omg it looks tiny In there! Do you think 150” would be good for my theater? Is there a trade off for picture quality to have a screen that sound goes through?
150” probably won’t look too small for a 15ft-wide room, especially if the ceiling is only 8-10ft.

But it does look too small when the width is 22FT and Ceiling is 14FT.

I don’t own AT screens, but I heard people say it doesn’t affect the SQ. I prefer to just put the speakers around the screen. But it might be more difficult to do that if your room is smaller.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Hi everyone, anyone… I’m trying to make selections on sound, screen size and type, and projector. I want the sound to blow the crowd away. Loud is great but clean is a must. Looking for the sound to come from all directions. Is Dolby atmos 9.2.4 the best way to go? I have some photos of the arc plan. I’ve also pre wired the entire room in ceiling (which are vaulted), walls, and also front left and right of room speakers and subs as well. Didn’t know if I would go with a/c powered subs or the other kind (whatever they’re called) is like to do the largest screen that makes sense for the size of room I have to work with. It can be retractable or fixed frame. Seating is possible from the front of the room to the last headrest at 21’ from the screen. I’m sure I can do two rows of seating but id like to do 3 if possible, but also would like some floor space in front for kids and bean bags. The seats have to be 61” apart from head to head I believe. Last but not least is projector, I was leaning Sony 4K HDR. Thoughts? Thank you for anyone that can help me!! There’s too many brands for everything and it’s completely overwhelming me.
You will not get all of what you want with a $20k budget. Push that up to $30k+ and now we can start scratching the surface of what you want.

If you were going to go with a 9.2.4 you're looking to spend at least $10-15k on speakers. Since you said you want to be blown away and you want clean sounding speakers. So you can't buy crap. Spend the most on the front 3 LCR.

Next you want 2 subwoofers. For that size room you're looking at spending at a minimum $5k for two large subs.

Are you going go to go Processor or AVR. Since you want 13 channels you're looking to spend at least $4k on either source. Are you going to be adding amps to your setup? Add another $1k-5K in amps depending on your needs or wants.

Screen-depending on manufacturer, materials, size, etc... You're looking at spending between $1k-5K.

Add in seating. Actual theater setting is not cheap. Two rows can set you back $3k-$5k. And that's for the entry level stuff.

Don't forget all the wires, cords, etc..

And last but certainly not the least your projector. You say you want a Sony 4k projector. Starting price for those is $5k. Unless you found a used one online.

Have fun!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think the 20K budget is plenty if you know people. :D

Let’s give some recommendations.

7.2.4 Atmos system:
RBH SV-661WR on-wall x 7 speakers
RBH SV-1212NR x 2 passive subs
RBH SI-615 x 4 ceiling speakers
Yamaha RX-A8A AVR or Denon X6700 AVR
Epson EB-PU1006W 6,000-Lumen 4K HDR Laser Projector
150” AT Screen

jinjuku

jinjuku

Here's my $0.02:

If this is primarily HT:

On speakers: Center and Subs are paramount.

I would do a 7.2 setup and not worry about atmos.

I have a 17X23X9 room. I think an 85" tv would be fine. I also have a 106" projection and 55" Samsung Plasma so I know what the relative dimensions are. 150" is awesome but it's also going to realistically eat 1/3 of your budget.

Also call Emotiva, SVS and ask for a price for a 7.2 package. Let them know you are shopping.

Ask if they have any B-Stock or like new returns.

You should be able to do the audio side of that room for $10K if you are doing all your own installation.

Also, if you are CONUS, post what major city you are by. Help may be just miles away.

C

Cbakes

Enthusiast
Here's my $0.02:

If this is primarily HT:

I have a 17X23X9 room. I think an 85" tv would be fine. I also have a 106" projection and 55" Samsung Plasma so I know what the relative dimensions are. 150" is awesome but it's also going to realistically eat 1/3 of your budget.

Also call Emotiva, SVS and ask for a price for a 7.2 package. Let them know you are shopping.

You should be able to do the audio side of that room for $10K if you are doing all your own installation.

Also, if you are CONUS, post what major city you are by. Help may be just miles away.
Thanks
Here's my $0.02:

If this is primarily HT:

thanks J! Everyone on here has been super cool!! I’m in fort myers naples area. If you know someone!!
Can you change the resolution of the camera for the pictures it takes on your phone? A lot of us have this problem but changing the resolution out of high definition will make the file smaller

My old phone used to take pictures in HD say for example 2240 x 3680 the files were to large to send

When I lowered the resolution of my camera out of HD say for example 1440 x 700 the files could be downloaded onto the site no problem

That way you can send us those pictures being able to see your room would be very helpful for us
i didn’t think of that. I’ll be there tomorrow and will try that. I’m sure it’s always taking live pics: so that may be the problem. However I did screenshot and try to upload and that didn’t work either….‍♂

C

Cbakes

Enthusiast
You will not get all of what you want with a $20k budget. Push that up to $30k+ and now we can start scratching the surface of what you want.

If you were going to go with a 9.2.4 you're looking to spend at least $10-15k on speakers. Since you said you want to be blown away and you want clean sounding speakers. So you can't buy crap. Spend the most on the front 3 LCR.

Next you want 2 subwoofers. For that size room you're looking at spending at a minimum $5k for two large subs.

Are you going go to go Processor or AVR. Since you want 13 channels you're looking to spend at least $4k on either source. Are you going to be adding amps to your setup? Add another $1k-5K in amps depending on your needs or wants.

Screen-depending on manufacturer, materials, size, etc... You're looking at spending between $1k-5K.

Add in seating. Actual theater setting is not cheap. Two rows can set you back $3k-$5k. And that's for the entry level stuff.

Don't forget all the wires, cords, etc..

And last but certainly not the least your projector. You say you want a Sony 4k projector. Starting price for those is $5k. Unless you found a used one online.

Have fun!
I feel like the fun is not right around the corner. I don’t even know what avr or processor is so I’m not sure how to answer it. I would say the better one usually buy that me be more complicated and a pain in the arss for me technically. I can definitely spend 30. I was not figuring furniture in those numbers. Also don’t know if 110v powered subs were better or worse for any reason vs rack mounted style amp… which is better for pic quality, screen sound travels through or doesn’t? Or does that have no bearing? So many questions… smh

C

Cbakes

Enthusiast
I think it's best to PLAN the ENTIRE room first before buying anything.

Freestanding speakers vs in-wall vs on-wall? How many speakers?

Freestanding subwoofers vs in-ceiling subwoofers? How many subs?

Regular PJ Screen vs Acoustic-Transparent Screen?

Quantity of speakers vs Quality of speakers for the same price? For example, for my 26ft x 22ft x 14ft room, I have a 5.2.4 Atmos system. I don't feel like I am "missing out" on any sound even though my system is not 9.2.6. I prefer to get giant towers, but few speakers, instead of getting smaller speakers.

Everyone has a different preference. You have to decide that for yourself.

But definitely plan the entire system first from top to bottom before buying anything.
That’s where I’m at…all the questions you had on that are basically my questions. I don’t know what btwn give and take is for the transparent screens or do I raise the screen higher and put the center speaker below it in front or in the ceiling…? I have all the options available to me I think. I’m def a big speaker guy:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I feel like the fun is not right around the corner. I don’t even know what avr or processor is so I’m not sure how to answer it. I would say the better one usually buy that me be more complicated and a pain in the arss for me technically. I can definitely spend 30. I was not figuring furniture in those numbers. Also don’t know if 110v powered subs were better or worse for any reason vs rack mounted style amp… which is better for pic quality, screen sound travels through or doesn’t? Or does that have no bearing? So many questions… smh
Delving into this stuff isn't super easy... It's not all plug and play.
You need to have power available... not just a few wall outlets, but a couple dedicated circuits can be beneficial if you are running a bunch of gear.
You also can benefit from a crash course in acoustics.

We can help!
:)

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
I think the 20K budget is plenty if you know people. :D

Let’s give some recommendations.

7.2.4 Atmos system:
RBH SV-661WR on-wall x 7 speakers
RBH SV-1212NR x 2 passive subs
RBH SI-615 x 4 ceiling speakers
Yamaha RX-A8A AVR or Denon X6700 AVR
Epson EB-PU1006W 6,000-Lumen 4K HDR Laser Projector
150” AT Screen
RBH speakers are so fing ugly man...Why don't you suggest some prettier things to the unsuspecting dude....like Focal, Sonus Faber, etc

C

Cbakes

Enthusiast
When it comes to PJ, BOTH black levels/contrast AND color-brightness are the 2 salient factors - a lot more significant and important than whether the resolution is 4K vs 4K-eShift vs 8K-eShift. This is even more important when we use big screens above 120” because bigger screens require a lot more lumens.

Try to find someone with one of the new Epson EB-PU1006W 6,000-Lumen 4K (eShift) HDR Laser PJ. The 7,000, 8,000 and 10,000-lumen models aren’t out yet, but should be out hopefully by summer.

I have the EB-PU1006W and I used to own the JVC NX5. I have friends who own the NX7 and NX9.

All these other PJ look very DIM/DARK compared to the EB-PU1006W. I think once you’ve witness these high-lumen Epson 4K Laser PJ, you will never want anything less bright.

I am already dreaming about the Epson 8,000-lumen PJ. :D
I want to go with the largest screen I can fit. Is going wall to wall w the screen a good or Bad idea ? Or what is the biggest that will look good? I’m happy to buy the better Pj out of the gate and not want/need to upgrade in near future.

C

Cbakes

Enthusiast
Delving into this stuff isn't super easy... It's not all plug and play.
You need to have power available... not just a few wall outlets, but a couple dedicated circuits can be beneficial if you are running a bunch of gear.
You also can benefit from a crash course in acoustics.

We can help!
:)
I sure could! Where’s the class?? How bout my house? I did do dedicated 20
Amp outlets in all four corners of the room for plug in subs. In the rear I also have the option to mount to subs up in the rear above and behind back row. If that would be a benefit. The closet has 4 dedicated 20 amp receptacles. (Possibly 4 double hang. I can’t remember…

jinjuku

jinjuku

Amp outlets in all four corners of the room for plug in subs. In the rear I also have the option to mount to subs up in the rear above and behind back row. If that would be a benefit. The closet has 4 dedicated 20 amp receptacles. (Possibly 4 double hang. I can’t remember…
You are golden then. I run a 20 and 15 amp for my setup w/o any issues.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Also don’t know if 110v powered subs were better or worse for any reason vs rack mounted style amp… which is better for pic quality, screen sound travels through or doesn’t? Or does that have no bearing? So many questions… smh
If you've a dedicated rack that isn't in room then going with passive subs and amp in rack with 12awg cable ran would be the way to go.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You have more then enough power and outlets in that room I ran two dedicated 20 amp in my room and 2 dedicated 20 amps in my closet and that's more then enough. You have even more headroom then I do in your room

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
If you've a dedicated rack that isn't in room then going with passive subs and amp in rack with 12awg cable ran would be the way to go.
So agree passive subs with rack mounted amps is the way to go. Amps inside of speakers is just tough on any amp they wear out faster. Electronics like space and staying cool. Also if the amp goes bad you don't have to send in the whole thing buy a new amp plug it back in your good to go. And vice versa sub goes bad replace sub plug back into amp good to go.

Try to never put your equipment rack in the room. A lot of really good sub amps are super powerful. But thar requires fans that can sometimes make noise no big deal if your gear is not in the room real big deal if the amps are in the room and kick in on you

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
RBH speakers are so fing ugly man...Why don't you suggest some prettier things to the unsuspecting dude....like Focal, Sonus Faber, etc
Well, everyone has an opinion. But you really think your speakers look better than these ON-WALL speakers and subs? I mean comparing on-wall to on-wall, not towers to on-wall speakers. Also, the ENTIRE budget is about $20K.

Let's see your recommendations for the ENTIRE HT system (Projector, Speakers, Subs, AVR) for about $20K.

Now, if we're just doing freestanding speakers, not on-wall or in-wall, then something like these are also an option from RBH. Again, everyone has an opinion, but I doubt your speakers look better than these. :D

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis