15x25’ new home theater budget 20k ish

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
I've talked to both @AcuDefTechGuy and Shane and the guys at RBH they are coming out with a bunch of new products like you I just wish they'd hurry up and link it!

I use there on wall SV661W as surrounds. The best surrounds I've ever used. They could be used as L C R in a lot of people rooms no problem.

The sensitivity dynamics clarity with zero distortion and just accuracy in sound is out of this world. This is my end game system in my room for sure
We are building a new house now. Got my ascend towers and center for lcr and went with monitor audio for the 2 surrounds and all 4 atmos speakers because they have the built in back boxes, and I liked the Silvers I auditioned prior to getting the ascends so I know they make quality products. The Elac in walls I have as surrounds in my current place don’t and it certainly shows. The chirps when running Audyssey are ear splitting. They do the trick though for movies.
That’s all in the great room though along with my 2 PB3000s for the new house. 10’ ceilings in that room
So psyched to experience at home 5.1.4!
When I spoke with an installer RE a dedicated basement theater they said $40k floor for a nice one so that’s on the back burner for the time being. I did have them give me an extra foot in the basement so the ceiling when finished will be just over 8 feet.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That's bad ass, @Danzilla31 , and a good case study for the OP. How far off his budget is your rig/room?
Thanks! Not far off at all I have 2 subs 3 of the towers and 4 of the on walls also he may not be able he would just be using 2 of the on walls for a 5 channel system

Also he may not be able to use 3 of the towers up front like I have and may use there center channel saving him even more money

if the OP is interested I can PM him my dealers information

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
curious, what are you using for "Atmos" speakers?
The Focal 300 ICLCR 5's

Finally an atmos speakers that can keep up with the rest of the system. Perfect 35-45 degree angle built in. Fully movable mid and tweeter so I can direct the sound perfectly to where it needs to go

focal_300_iclcr5_900x.png

I'd show you a picture of them in my room but this phone doesn't allow me to downsize my picture files.

I'm going to post a review of the new Focals this weekend and will use a different phone to upload the pictures of them installed in room

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
We are building a new house now. Got my ascend towers and center for lcr and went with monitor audio for the 2 surrounds and all 4 atmos speakers because they have the built in back boxes, and I liked the Silvers I auditioned prior to getting the ascends so I know they make quality products. The Elac in walls I have as surrounds in my current place don’t and it certainly shows. The chirps when running Audyssey are ear splitting. They do the trick though for movies.
That’s all in the great room though along with my 2 PB3000s for the new house. 10’ ceilings in that room
So psyched to experience at home 5.1.4!
When I spoke with an installer RE a dedicated basement theater they said $40k floor for a nice one so that’s on the back burner for the time being. I did have them give me an extra foot in the basement so the ceiling when finished will be just over 8 feet.
When your ready to roll on the home theater room PM and I'll get you my dealers info so you can talk to him about RBH options. If you go RBH I can guarantee you you won't regret it!

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
The Focal 300 ICLCR 5's

Finally an atmos speakers that can keep up with the rest of the system. Perfect 35-45 degree angle built in. Fully movable mid and tweeter so I can direct the sound perfectly to where it needs to go

View attachment 53955

I'd show you a picture of them in my room but this phone doesn't allow me to downsize my picture files.

I'm going to post a review of the new Focals this weekend and will use a different phone to upload the pictures of them installed in room
I’ve added the Focal 1000 series to my list of possible speaker options for my next build. I would use 1000 Utopias for LCR, 1000 IWLCR6’s for sides and surrounds and 1000 IC5’s for ceiling.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I’ve added the Focal 1000 series to my list of possible speaker options for my next build. I would use 1000 Utopias for LCR, 1000 IWLCR6’s for sides and surrounds and 1000 IC5’s for ceiling.
Based on my experience with the 300's that would be a badass system and experience!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's suboptimal (pun intended) to have subs integrated like that for HT use.
It's SOUNDS 100% optimal to me for the past 8+ years.

I am sure it is very optimal with Gene's SVTRS towers and all his RBH towers of power for years.

I am confident it has been very optimal with other owners of towers of power.

It's really not ROCKET SCIENCE.:D

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

It's SOUNDS 100% optimal to me for the past 8+ years.

I am sure it is very optimal with Gene's SVTRS towers and all his RBH towers of power for years.

I am confident it has been very optimal with other owners of towers of power.

It's really not ROCKET SCIENCE.:D
If we are talking HT use, which is what I stipulated, room modes determine SW placement. I think @gene would agree with that since he promotes doing the sub crawl.

I'm into Orchestral music and much of that has a wide dynamic range. Full floor standing speakers are great for that 'wall of sound'. But that is 2.0 and we are talking 7.2 or greater and the OP's budget doesn't support the RBH speakers you are talking about.

I believe if you're in earnest trying to steer him toward that type of speaker, where it's going to dominate his budget, then it's a disservice.

If he had a $60K budget then things could be different.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If we are talking HT use, which is what I stipulated, room modes determine SW placement. I think @gene would agree with that since he promotes doing the sub crawl.

I'm into Orchestral music and much of that has a wide dynamic range. Full floor standing speakers are great for that 'wall of sound'. But that is 2.0 and we are talking 7.2 or greater and the OP's budget doesn't support the RBH speakers you are talking about.

I believe if you're in earnest trying to steer him toward that type of speaker, were it's going to dominate his budget, then it's a disservice.

Agreed. SVTRS simply doesn't fit in this guy's budget. I am not sure that RBH has anything that fits nicely within a 20k budget for the whole system. I don't think the SV661 series would quite have the dynamic range that the OP is looking for. The PM-8 speakers might foot the bill if the OP wanted to stay with RBH. RBH's subwoofers are probably too expensive for that kind of budget unless the OP only wanted to get a single sub, but getting a single sub would be a big mistake.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Agreed. SVTRS simply doesn't fit in this guy's budget. I am not sure that RBH has anything that fits nicely within a 20k budget for the whole system. I don't think the SV661 series would quite have the dynamic range that the OP is looking for. The PM-8 speakers might foot the bill if the OP wanted to stay with RBH. RBH's subwoofers are probably too expensive for that kind of budget unless the OP only wanted to get a single sub, but getting a single sub would be a big mistake.
Thanks.

Mirrors my thoughts exactly. My 1st suggestion puts the OP somewhere in the ~$8K range with some room treatments.

His needs merit a decently long phone call to honest. There is a lot of ways to go, stuff to look at. We haven't even scratched at the possibility of going passive subs and separate amp which changes the calculus of complexity but still the better way to go given both his budget and wants.

The Elacs hit above their price point however. Even objectively measured they do.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks.

Mirrors my thoughts exactly. My 1st suggestion puts the OP somewhere in the ~$8K range with some room treatments.

His needs merit a decently long phone call to honest. There is a lot of ways to go, stuff to look at. We haven't even scratched at the possibility of going passive subs and separate amp which changes the calculus of complexity but still the better way to go given both his budget and wants.
I'm still wondering wouldn't 5 true full range towers by default achieve the same results your talking about. Canceling nulls and smoothing the response? That's a lot of positions for bass?

I'm not saying these fit the OPs budget I'm just very curious if 5 sub placements couldn't achieve the same results through the room.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I'm still wondering wouldn't 5 true full range towers by default achieve the same results your talking about. Canceling nulls and smoothing the response? That's a lot of positions for bass?

I'm not saying these fit the OPs budget I'm just very curious if 5 sub placements couldn't achieve the same results through the room.
He's $20K for:

150" Projection (4K)

Anything from 7.2 (my recommendation) to a 9.2.4 Atmos setup. And he want's a very sound immersive setup while at it. Now I agree with some that $30K or better would be more realistic. But I'm dealing with $20K.

What's your recommendation?

What towers can you reasonably put him into that will give him an F3 of 17Hz?

I'm very curious about 5 sub placement also but after 3 subs in a room you get into cancellation issues. 4 subs gets really tricky. More is not always better.

This is all room dependent which would have me ultimately ask: What room? I have a measurement system for helping me sort out rooms.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

In thought, I would agree, but even Geddes recommends strategic placement of the subs based on measurements while accounting for full range mains up front. Banking on 5 full rangers in standard placement may not get the job done.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I believe if you're in earnest trying to steer him toward that type of speaker, where it's going to dominate his budget, then it's a disservice.

So if the “optimal” spot is in the middle of the room, are you gonna put a sub in the middle of the room?

I don’t think so.

If you can put the subs in the four corners or four 1/4-corners and OUT OF THE WAY, and still have awesome sound, that’s what people do IN REAL LIFE. Could it be a slight compromise? Sure. But if you get awesome sound at the end of the day, who cares?

They are not gonna put a sub in the middle of the room or other spots that are in the way or inconvenient. I don’t care if it’s Mozart Symphony No.40 or some rap music.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
He's $20K for:

150" Projection (4K)

Anything from 7.2 (my recommendation) to a 9.2.4 Atmos setup. And he want's a very sound immersive setup while at it. Now I agree with some that $30K or better would be more realistic. But I'm dealing with $20K.

I'm very curious about 5 sub placement also but after 3 subs in a room you get into cancellation issues. 4 subs gets really tricky. More is not always better.

This is all room dependent which would have me ultimately ask: What room? I have a measurement system for helping me sort out rooms.
Like you I'd go with other options then RBH for a 20k straight budget

Unless you know a good dealer. A lot of times dealers can get or find you good deals under MSRP. My dealer relationships have saved me quiet a bit of money over the years.

But to answer you question about what system I'd recommend someone wanting top level performance but on a budget

It's Monoprice in his room size all day and every day

Especially the in wall models give me a sec and I'll post a list I'm curious about your thoughts on it.

Edit Dangit I didn't see the time. I'll have to link it later I have plans with friends coming up

I'll post that list tonight!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
He's $20K for:

150" Projection (4K)

Do you have any SPECIFIC recommendations? And I mean this from everyone, not just you. :D

It’s easy to generalize recommendations, but it’s another thing when you have to give specific brands and models.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Do you have any SPECIFIC recommendations? And I mean this from everyone, not just you. :D

It’s easy to generalize recommendations, but it’s another thing when you have to give specific brands and models.
I expressed an entire elac and monoprice subwoofer system with denon receiver.

LINKY

What's your RBH recommendation considering you have to budget for 150' screen and 4K projection?

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

So if the “optimal” spot is in the middle of the room, are you gonna put a sub in the middle of the room?
1/3 and 2/3 length placement isn't unheard of though depending on the room.

I've yet to ever see where a subwoofer had to go into the middle of a space to correct for a room mode however.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Unless you know a good dealer. A lot of times dealers can get or find you good deals under MSRP. My dealer relationships have saved me quiet a bit of money over the years.
I also encouraged him to call the ID vendors about anything they have in either closeout, b-stock, open box.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis